Bose AE2 vs. Sony MDR-ZX700, Help??
Aug 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

OMGLadyGaga

500+ Head-Fier
Im curious to see if anyone has had extensive time with both of these headphones. I want something super comfortable to wear for long periods of time and to listen from my laptop(no amp) and occasionally from my phone(Evo 3D, unamped).

I wouldnt even consider the Bose since they have such a bad rep as being overpriced, but I had the OG tripods (which broke pretty easily) but Bose does offer the AE2 to me for 60 bucks. Obv for msrp of 150 is ridiculous but for 60 dollars that probably isnt too bad??

The Sony's I've heard good things about and they are pretty cheap on Amazon. Slightly more than the Bose, but if they are just as if not more comfortable then I'd have no problem getting them. Which delivers better sound from a fairly crappy source such as laptop/phone? I am on a budget and can only afford the 75 bucks. Thanks for the input

Priorities: Comfortability, Sound (listen to hiphop mostly, and top billboard charts occasionally), Value.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 16
$60 bucks is very good for the AE2. The new AE2 has less bass bloat and better midrange (compared to last gen), decent sound stage, and awesome comfort. People say ZX700 is fast, accurate, and flat. So they would be better for accuracy and probably have better isolation.

AE2 at that price is good for general music listening and has a lush sound that is colored nicely. 

ZX700 is for more serious monitoring and getting every last detail out of the music, but possibly less exiting to listen to. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
$60 bucks is very good for the AE2. The new AE2 has less bass bloat and better midrange (compared to last gen), decent sound stage, and awesome comfort. People say ZX700 is fast, accurate, and flat. So they would be better for accuracy and probably have better isolation.

AE2 at that price is good for general music listening and has a lush sound that is colored nicely. 

ZX700 is for more serious monitoring and getting every last detail out of the music, but possibly less exiting to listen to. 

this? is why i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed some AE2s....

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 16
I had thought the JVC HAS700 was almost a clone of the Bose AE2 and is only about $30.  I have not tried them but from looking at pictures they do look almost the same and I found several reviews from past threads that claimed the JVC actually sounded better.  I thought they were considered super comfortable like the AE2 too but maybe someone that has tried them can comment.

Oct 2, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 16
Not sure about the AE2.

ZX 700 are awesome headphones. The drivers are big, Super comfortable, Sound is good too. But they are not exactly portable.

Please stay away from JVC HAS700. They look good, comfortable, build quality is also fairly good. however the cables get tangled. The sound is very bad, sad, pathetic. I mean if someone could mod them, they could be made into something good

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Please stay away from JVC HAS700. They look good, comfortable, build quality is also fairly good. however the cables get tangled. The sound is very bad, sad, pathetic. I mean if someone could mod them, they could be made into something good

I am a little surprised to read that as I had seen mostly positive reviews of the HAS700.  Have you heard the JVC HAS600 and if so how does that compare?  I have not heard either but the HAS600 pictures look very similar.  I have heard the JVC Flats-HAS150 though and if you have as well how would you compare them to the HAS700?  Thanks.

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 16
Unfortunately, I own only the HAS700. I would say if somehow, I could replace the drivers and re-cable them, they would beat AET .

Because design wise, they are too very good. Also, I am no expert and I  would say mine sound the worst in all the headphones I have ever owned.

Also HAS700 shares more similarity with Triport.

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 16
"listen to hiphop mostly"
I have Sony MDR-ZX700. It does not have the slam power for hiphop, despite many people think it is bass heavy.
You really need to consider Sony MDR-XB700, if you don't mind people laugh at the pillow looking earpads. You can try it out at Best Buy. (My friend lent me his Sony MDR-XB700 for one week, what a night-club sounding headphone.)

Oct 5, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
"listen to hiphop mostly"
I have Sony MDR-ZX700. It does not have the slam power for hiphop, despite many people think it is bass heavy.
You really need to consider Sony MDR-XB700, if you don't mind people laugh at the pillow looking earpads. You can try it out at Best Buy. (My friend lent me his Sony MDR-XB700 for one week, what a night-club sounding headphone.)

Have to agree here.. XB700, for that matter XB500 is a far better choice than HAS700

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #11 of 16
Can I use ZX700 with my portable MP3 player or my iPhone ? Can they still deliver high quality sound if I use them without any amp ? I generally use 320 kbps bitrate songs. Please advise. I'm definitely in need of a nice pair of headphones. Thanks, RYK

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Can I use ZX700 with my portable MP3 player or my iPhone ? Can they still deliver high quality sound if I use them without any amp ? I generally use 320 kbps bitrate songs. Please advise. I'm definitely in need of a nice pair of headphones. Thanks, RYK

You can use it without an AMP. I have used it directly with my E-72 and Sansa Clip+ without any problems. I am actually planning to sell mine. PM me if you are interested.

Also since you are planning it for portable use, why don't you look at an IEM.

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #14 of 16
Thanks for the reply... I've been using Zagg earbuds for a while... they are pretty good.. good bass, good mids and highs.... but I want to buy a nice pair of over-ear phones. How's its sound quality, lows, mid and highs ? I generally listen to Rock, David Guetta and some other dance music. Can I go for them ? I'm in India and they are worth Rs. 6000 (USD 112 something) here... I dont have any HiFi system. All I use is my iPhone and laptop to listen to music. I'm more concerned about listening music on my iPhone because I travel a lot.

Sony stores here wont let test them on my iPhone. So, I cant test their quality. All I'm replying is on the feedbacks and reviews of its users. Apart from this, can you suggest some more that I can go for and those who deliver good sound quality if I use then on my iPhone.

Thanks. RYK

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #15 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back