Bose AE2 for specific reasons...Seconds away from pulling trigger
Dec 3, 2012 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Guysakar

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]Hey guys. [/size]

[size=10pt]First ever non cheapo cans was a pair of Sennheiser HD 201's. Loved the sound quality vs. cheapos, but they hurt my ears. I extended the pads away from the base, and I guess I have large ears, as the circumference seemed to be too small and caused ear pain after about 20-30 minutes. [/size]

So now I am nervous about ordering headphones sight un seen.
There is no place around me to try on some of the better bang for buck sets; just Best Buy, which has Beats, Bose, Logitech, etc…

I went to BB, and the Bose AE2 fit great, no ear pain, etc… The store was insanely loud, and I’m sure that those things are hooked up to amps, etc… So I did not get a feel for their performance. 

My question is: Is there a better set of cans (around the ear) out there that are as comfortable as the Bose? Ones that accommodate bigger ears I guess? I don’t necessarily have big ears, so maybe it’s the shape or something? I do have a larger than average hat size.

Thanks in advance fellas.

Also, I prefer my music loud to the point my ears bleed; it’s not a deal killer, but I’m assuming these will not do that? 

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 7
Is noise cancelling needed? If not then there are literally masses of headphones that are better. You might also want to post in the fullsize forum.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply. My main concern is comfort, as i suppose I have slightly larger than average ears. I have read through most of the AE2 threads on here, and have seen several people claiming the same thing, about finding them the most comfortable/fitting for larger ears, but have yet to here a specific alternative.

In other words, if I was looking for light weight, wear for hours headphones for larger ears, it appears that the AE2's are my best bet?

Oh yeah, I don't want noise canceling, but I would prefer noise isolation to some degree. 

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 7
Do they need to be easily portable? If not then you could go for full sized headphones. I would consider the AE2s to be fairly small.
If your best buy hs the logitech-UE6000 I would try those.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 7
Loved the logitech-UE 6000. I remember them having more room than the AE2, but also being kind of big and more than I really want to spend (the AE2's are actually more than I want to spend as well).

My problem is that if I get something too expensive, then I'm going to have to buy a digital to analog converter, and so on and so on, and just go partially insane with this whole thing. 

Most use will be through a cheap mp3 player, and would like to forget that I even have them on my head. Planning on using them hours a day. 

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 7
AD700 or FA-011, they are both very good around ears, AD700 perhaps slightly more comfortable than FA-011, but sound quality wise, FA-011 is better than AD700

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
AD700 or FA-011, they are both very good around ears, AD700 perhaps slightly more comfortable than FA-011, but sound quality wise, FA-011 is better than AD700

The AD700 and DA-11 are open, not what I would consider a first choice for a portable can. the AD700 isn't what I consider fun sounding either.

These would be my recommendations for medium sized portables, not many since I haven't really delved into the portable market much.
Creative Aurvana live!
Denon AH-D1100(if you can find it for ~$70)
KRK KNS 8400

Users who are viewing this thread

Back