Boost your PCs audio performance.
Aug 3, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #61 of 188
Now this is just getting silly. I think I'll unplug from the discussion for a while and listen to some music on one of my computers -- that happen to be running just fine with both Game Booster and Fidelizer on them. Happy reality, folks!

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #62 of 188

Quote:
Now this is just getting silly. I think I'll unplug from the discussion for a while and listen to some music on one of my computers -- that happen to be running just fine with both Game Booster and Fidelizer on them. Happy reality, folks!

Still here? LOL. Stay and spread as much propaganda as you want.

To everyone else who is conscious about using computers, the warning was made. Is there a computer you want to tweak and fine tune for audio? Then trust yourselves the most, not apps known to fail with different degrees of severity.

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #63 of 188
I'm left slightly confused by the need of having something like a game booster. If you take a look at what it actually does, you can do these things yourself, carefully, or recklessly if you so desire. But it will be under your control and to the degree you want. 

Don't have the newest drivers? Get em yourself. Game loads slowly? Defrag, prioritize game process, tone down aggressive AV scans. Not enough RAM? Kill useless stuff that starts up, all your MSNs and Skypes, and millions of useless utils you have running. 

It might be a bit tedious at first, but in the end you'll get a better performing system period. Not just for some game or app you happen to like.

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #65 of 188

Quote:
Well, I am just giving a heads up to people who are conscious regarding system stability, for without it, nothing will work properly, be it music, games, movies, etc.

Thanks for summing up your "disucssion" with Dradder, I believe nothing more can be said on this subject.

As for the buffer, previously I've been using 10megabites/1sec of buffering or so, for click/gapless playback but I've read that this increases the output latency, which is not too good although it hasn't been yet prooven exactly why... so let's say im just testing different setups.

As for placebo, with GameBooster it may be true but it shouldn't be so with system disabling more or less (or rather just less as I can't imagine more) as in the article "The Art of Building... ". There is a reason why PC transports don't reach their full potential from just being PCs, maybe my audio rig is just not yet transparent enough to show such changes, guess I won't avoid spenting some $$ on a better S/PDIF converter. That's why I asked for others' opinions on this but it seems every aspect of this thread gets more attention than audio.

If I manage to borrow a proper CD player I'll surely report on it here, shall make some blind tests. Until this happens do comment on SQ changes in your rigs.

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #66 of 188
Strannik -- you have a good point. Game Booster doesn't seem to do anything that you can't do yourself, on a tedious piecemeal basis. So it's hard to see why certain people here are as overwrought and panicked about it as they seem to be. Some people have had problems with it; others, including myself, haven't. Can't see why pointing out the YMMV factor is such a big deal to certain other people.

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #67 of 188
I think the main drama issue here is that Game Booster is portrayed as a silver bullet, one-size-fits-all solution to performance woes. From a strictly professional world, there are no silver bullets, and I think Roller comes from that world :)

Quote:
Strannik -- you have a good point. Game Booster doesn't seem to do anything that you can't do yourself, on a tedious piecemeal basis. So it's hard to see why certain people here are as overwrought and panicked about it as they seem to be. Some people have had problems with it; others, including myself, haven't. Can't see why pointing out the YMMV factor is such a big deal to certain other people.

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #68 of 188

Quote:
I think the main drama issue here is that Game Booster is portrayed as a silver bullet, one-size-fits-all solution to performance woes. From a strictly professional world, there are no silver bullets, and I think Roller comes from that world :)

If it helps bringing this thread back on the topic then YES, Game Booster is no silver bullet. Enough said, carry on.

People, use Fidelizer or anything you want if you think that it helps you to improve the quality of your PC as a transport, just share it here: what it was and what improvements did it bring.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #70 of 188
it's also quite amusing that in the omgchickendoitt ignorant rant the people above have missed what the worst case of the app not working is.

it's not really reinstalling windows.
if you let the app defrag bits of your drive andn there is a bug in the defrag code, it could erase,or mix up bits of any non locked files on your drive (potentially even locked ones incl system ones). so it could be mixing your tax files with pics of fluffy and music and system files, or erasing clusters in those. (kinda depends whether defrags folders to make files in them appear sequentially on disk and whether it puts them at the end of the drive, so it could be pretty subtle)

not only would this be pretty subtle until it gets really bad(most people dont regularly look at pics of fluffy and old tax records, but it's also irreversible.

so yea, best of luck with the uninformed maximalist youthful courage :wink: i'm sure you make regular backups of everything ally reinstalling windows.
if you let the app defrag bits of your drive andn there is a bug in the defrag code, it could erase,or mix up bits of any non locked files on your drive (potentially even locked ones incl system ones). so it could be mixing your tax files with pics of fluffy and music and system files, or erasing clusters in those. (kinda depends whether defrags folders to make files in them appear sequentially on disk and whether it puts them at the end of the drive, so it could be pretty subtle)

not only would this be pretty subtle until it gets really bad(most people dont regularly look at pics of fluffy and old tax records, but it's also irreversible.

so yea, best of luck with the uninformed maximalist youthful courage :wink: i'm sure you make regular backups of everything

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #71 of 188
Actually, I do keep all my critical files backed up on media outside my computers' hard drives. If you don't, that's your problem. Maybe if you're that sloppy about standard maintenance procedures, you shouldn't try something such as Game Booster or any other program, for that matter.

And just for the record, I haven't caught either Fidelizer or Game Booster attempting to defrag anything on either one of my computers. I'd be interested in seeing what evidence you have that this takes place.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #72 of 188
Careful svyr, you might blow someone's brain out with such revelations
biggrin.gif

Quote from IObit's site:
  Defragments Game Files Enhanced With the improved defragment engine, Game Booster v2 can quickly defragment game directories and files, to make your games load and run faster than ever.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #73 of 188
The defrag on Game Booster is an option you have to choose to run; it doesn't run automatically. Also, if you do choose to run it, you have to specifically pick which file folders you want it to run on; it doesn't do a general defrag.

Try again. LOL.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #74 of 188
You don't even know what that program you're so fiercely spreading propaganda does. Major fail. Actually, that name suits you perfectly.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #75 of 188
Reality time again, pal. You don't even know what program I'm using. I'm not using Game Booster 2; I'm using the Game Booster 3 beta. And as I said, it doesn't perform an automatic or general defrag.

Try again. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back