Boost your PCs audio performance.
Jul 29, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #16 of 188
From the Game Booster website:

Quote:
It works by updating hardware drivers, downloading essential gaming tools, tweaking system settings for gaming, defragmenting game directories, temporarily shutting down background processes, cleaning RAM, and intensifying processor performance.

Sounds like it's touching way too many things, and i'm guessing without asking permissions. I wouldn't be comfortable using it.

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #17 of 188
I stopped using Gamebooster a while back, when I bought my laptop which has a pretty decent processing power.
I found the old Gamebooster simpler and more straightforward than the current Gamebooster. There's also a program called
Gboost, I heard it works good, but I stopped using it after a day because it showed no improvement in framerates in AVA.

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #18 of 188
The sooner people realize that programs that promise magical optimizations are the ones to be most suspicious about, the longer will be the system longevity.
I like particularly the description of both "downloading essential gaming tools" and "intensifying processor performance". Along with making unintended system changes and not reverting some of their specified "gaming" optimizations and enough reports on problematic system behavior, that's plenty of things for me to write that app off my book and strongly recommend users of steering away from such optimizers and stick with solid system maintenance apps.

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #19 of 188
  Well, GameBooster always asks for permission, and it did show me what changes it plans in my system to increase the performance. It's nothing grand, just cleaning some useless things or disabling some system graphics, it didn't hurt my system at all. After a week of usage I noticed no negative changes or instability.

From what I've read after you guys had pointed me to fidelizer, it digs deeper into the system, although I like the idea about different levels of optimalisation. I hope it won't mess anything up if I'll have them both installed.

But the question remains unanswered: did you hear any differences with any of these programmes? After some longer testing I think that with the GameBooster on I noticed a slight change in mids, the got slightly laid back. I'm using Ms-1i so mids were always pronounced but now they sound as if they took their place between the rest, not so in my face, so soundstage seems to improve slightly. But it's a delicatet change and I'm not even 100% sure.

Maybe modern PCs have enough processing power to allow proper outputting without compromising the sound?

EDIT: GameBooster just shows you if there are newer drivers available and points you to hardware producer's site where you download it yourself, same with those "gaming tools". Generally it's more like an interface that has many smart shorcuts, it points you to where to make the change rather than doing it instead of you. I don't intend to push GameBooster as the very best, I just happen to be using it without any problems and system corruption.

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #20 of 188
Virtually all system "boosters" do more harm than good, and/or point out to online content that does nothing positive to the system it's being used in.
And claiming that the use of such boosters improve sound is anecdotal, specially considering that the best result from optimizing a system for audio usage is the minimizing or elimination of any audio issues, not improving audio by itself.

About PC hardware being powerful enough, it certainly is, but certain hardware devices aren't audio friendly, and are very picky about which devices they're paired in a system. It's also worth noticing that OSes come configured by default to work on a wide range of hardware configurations, which is why they perform better after being optimized.

But basically, any person serious about system performance and stability will never use "booster" apps.

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #21 of 188
Look, if you don't want to use programs such as Game Booster and/or Fidelizer, fine, suit yourself. If you're unsure about your ability to properly maintain a computer system so that programs like these don't crash it, then yes, you probably are better off not touching them.

But don't go around telling people that these programs "will" damage their systems, when there are people right here and elsewhere who can refute your claim by simply reporting their own experiences, i.e. that their systems weren't damaged by using them.

And as for reports of improved sound quality being "anecdotal" in nature -- well, duh. That's what virtually all reports of improved sound quality are. It's a subjective phenomenon. If I hear something that you don't, or vice versa, well, that's what makes horse races, as Mark Twain said. But as far as factual matters are concerned, in this case your contention that using Game Booster will damage a system, you're just wrong. People have had differing experiences with the program, that's all. Deal with it.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #22 of 188
Look, it's exactly because I'm very much comfortable doing system maintenance, that I can recommend everyone not to use nonsensical software like Game Booster and such. And I never said anything against Fidelizer, unlike what you were implying. Maybe it's you who are too afraid of doing manual configurations, and have to rely on a nifty GUI that does background operations, with all the lack of reliability that comes from the user not doing the work himself.

Wait, so if a program that's known to damage a software environment, doesn't do it for some people, that's because it's perfectly ok and should be used by everyone, from less knowledgeable users to mission critical systems? Get a clue.

And do continue imagining magic improvements from apps that do nothing that could lead to actual sound improvements, if that's what makes you happy then knock yourself off. If you knew about how systems work, you would know what that "booster" app can and cannot do. So go educate yourself before telling people they're wrong.

EDIT: I should add that it's because of ridiculous (in the given context) apps like Game Booster, that the computer isn't considered as high quality source as it could, due to the very same issues that arise from the usage of such apps.

BTW, let me know of any professional or audiophile computer system that uses that ridiculous app or similar solutions (excluding Fidelizer, as it is a different app, yet pending more testing).

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #23 of 188
Simmer down, pal. You're the one who's going around telling people what "will" happen to their systems if they use Game Booster -- when there are people right here and elsewhere who are reporting that such damage didn't happen. Face it, you're just factually wrong. If you're afraid that using Game Booster might damage your system, then fine, don't use it. No skin off my nose if you don't. 

Some people have reported having problems with Game Booster; other people apparently haven't had those problems. The only way for someone to find out for himself would be for him to try it and see. If you don't want to, again, fine by me. But don't puff yourself up by assuring people that you just KNOW what will happen if they do.

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #24 of 188

Quote:
Simmer down, pal. You're the one who's going around telling people what "will" happen to their systems if they use Game Booster -- when there are people right here and elsewhere who are reporting that such damage didn't happen. Face it, you're just factually wrong. If you're afraid that using Game Booster might damage your system, then fine, don't use it. No skin off my nose if you don't. 

Some people have reported having problems with Game Booster; other people apparently haven't had those problems. The only way for someone to find out for himself would be for him to try it and see. If you don't want to, again, fine by me. But don't puff yourself up by assuring people that you just KNOW what will happen if they do.

First of all, I don't know you from anywhere, "pal". And through many years of professional computer experience, I'm very well aware of the pros and cons of several matters regarding computer performance, stability, and maintenance in general. I'm so sorry that you're in denial over the fact that an app you so apparently love can be troublesome, and even worse, troublesome to the point of forcing users to do full software environment reinstalls, so sorry about that.

I deal with several different people on a daily basis that often come around with yet another magical app that promises the world and beyond when it comes to performance, and while most do absolutely nothing, positive or otherwise, others actually do harm systems, which makes for a requirement of warning others to avoid it.

It's absolutely incredible how your thought is to tell people to use the app and decide whether it's good or not, when the simple usage of it for the first time can do irreversible damage to the software environment, harming productivity and forcing users to do a fresh system install. Maybe this isn't relevant to you, but to people who work and can't take the chance of something going wrong because of the whim of an app full of promises, it is very troublesome. Some people actually need a computer to always work. Remember this the next time you're reinstalling your OS (again) because of some automated app that does the job you're supposed to do, without any warranties of reliability.

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #25 of 188
Jeez, pal, little over-emotional about the issue, aren't you? Frankly, I'm thinking that if you were a little more confident in your ability to maintain a computer system, you wouldn't be so agitated about this matter. Guess you're not, though.

I've made my living using a computer since 1984, and the computer I'm using now to make my living is one of the ones that I have Game Booster installed on -- with no problems. I'm not recommending that anybody use it or any other program. I'm merely reporting my own experience with this particular program; other people have reported other experiences. If anybody wants to try it and see for himself what results he gets, fine by me; if you or anybody else doesn't want to try it, that's fine by me as well. But you need to face reality, which is that you're simply factually wrong that using Game Booster WILL damage your system. It might or might not; that's what the acronym YMMV means. Really, you don't have to work yourself into such a lather just because the facts contradict your opinion.

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #26 of 188
Quote:
Jeez, pal, little over-emotional about the issue, aren't you? Frankly, I'm thinking that if you were a little more confident in you ability to maintain a computer system, you wouldn't be so agitated about this matter. Guess you're not, though.

Your argument (both of your arguments, really) would be a lot stronger if you didn't start every one of them with passive aggressive insults like this one.

I agree with Roller for the most part. Any program that mucks around with the registry and OS settings for marginal performance boosts can cause problems, whether you've experienced them yet or not. That's just common sense. The program needs to give adequate options and explanations, so you know exactly what's changed and possible consequences. I don't know if Game Booster supplies these. If it doesn't, I wouldn't recommend using it if you haven't used it yet.

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #27 of 188

Quote:
Jeez, pal, little over-emotional about the issue, aren't you? Frankly, I'm thinking that if you were a little more confident in your ability to maintain a computer system, you wouldn't be so agitated about this matter. Guess you're not, though.

I've made my living using a computer since 1984, and the computer I'm using now to make my living is one of the ones that I have Game Booster installed on -- with no problems. I'm not recommending that anybody use it or any other program. I'm merely reporting my own experience with this particular program; other people have reported other experiences. If anybody wants to try it and see for himself what results he gets, fine by me; if you or anybody else doesn't want to try it, that's fine by me as well. But you need to face reality, which is that you're simply factually wrong that using Game Booster WILL damage your system. It might or might not; that's what the acronym YMMV means. Really, you don't have to work yourself into such a lather just because the facts contradict your opinion.

"Pal", read my last paragraph, as I'm still waiting for you to tell me not 5, not even 3, but a single professional computer system that use that app. Apparently, you seem to be in denial, and that's just fine. About Game Booster damaging a system, it's not a matter of IF and a matter of WHEN, and an app that is, sooner or later, bound to do damage to a system, is something not to be used, but it seems not everyone has this kind of standards.

What facts? For someone who claims to be working for so much time, seems like you haven't showed any shred of evidence, or sample of anyone other than uneducated individuals using "booster" apps. I pity the people who do business with you.

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #28 of 188
You can wait all you want for me to tell you whatever it is you're asking for. Two points, buddy: 1) I never said any "professionals" used Game Booster, and I never recommended its use to anybody on that or any other basis -- you're the only person for whom this seems to be an issue; and 2) I'm such a rebel, I don't care whether "professionals" use it or not; I only care how it performs on my system, and how it sounds to my ears. If you're so unsure of your abilities and judgment that you need vindication by "professionals," that's your business. And as to whether Game Booster "is, sooner or later, bound to do damage to a system" (your words) -- ooh, scary! If you're so frightened of it, fine; don't use it. Just accept that you're factually wrong, that's all. Man it up to that extent, at least.

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #29 of 188

Quote:
You can wait all you want for me to tell you whatever it is you're asking for. Two points, buddy: 1) I never said any "professionals" used Game Booster, and I never recommended its use to anybody on that or any other basis -- you're the only person for whom this seems to be an issue; and 2) I'm such a rebel, I don't care whether "professionals" use it or not; I only care how it performs on my system, and how it sounds to my ears. If you're so unsure of your abilities and judgment that you need vindication by "professionals," that's your business. And as to whether Game Booster "is, sooner or later, bound to do damage to a system" (your words) -- ooh, scary! If you're so frightened of it, fine; don't use it. Just accept that you're factually wrong, that's all. Man it up to that extent, at least.

I'm not asking for anything, unlike what you seem to be implying, but given that you have zero evidence for that, shame on you. Of course no professionals (no quotes) use nonsensical apps like this, things have to run properly. You're a rebel? Go on, fight the system, and leave reliability in the hands of those who actually know how things must run. The next time you, that says "I've made my living using a computer since 1984", think of using apps that fail at making every single change visible to the user, be able to revert any changes it did, maintain said changes without them magically reverting when they're dependent on others that are still running, and don't change settings on security software, try to pull your head out of the hole and start learning how to do things for yourself, if you're capable of such thing. Luckily, me and every system I've worked on are rock solid, and not surprisingly, no laughable and damaging app like that ever entered those systems. So get a life and start learning computers, because you're 27 years behind, if you've even said anything that's true from the start.

I'm done talking to people with ridiculous and uneducated opinions. Spread as much propaganda as you will.

Have a nice day.

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #30 of 188
Roller, I am expecting Game Booster to boost my audio because from what I've read in "The Art of Building Computer Transports", which is a very informative article on said topic, if I stop literally every application or part of the system that is not needed to output audio signal the quality of the sound will draastically improve. I have read opinions of poeple who actually did all the dirty work recommended there and reported unquestionable improvements. Logically then, I assumed that GameBooster would allow me to make first step towards such optimalisation as it does stop some apps. That is why I expected the sound to improve, and as I am not sure about the results in my system I asked for others' opinions.

There is no need to perform optimalisations suggested by Game Booster, so even if they might be crippling to some systems just installing the programme is as dangerous as installing any other application. I see no way in which temporal stopping of background processes and defragmenting ram would cause instability or lead to software reinstalls. How far will one allow it to dig into the system is an individual choice. I hope nothing more will be said (written) on this topic as it has been covered enough already.

Roller and Dradder, as you both are using performance boosting apps, could you describe how they affect the soundquality in your audio rigs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back