Boost your PCs audio performance.
Jul 30, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #31 of 188
Roller: You're going over the top. Have you got links to forums or the like showing where people are having trouble with this specific piece of software?

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #32 of 188
@MaciekN: Simply installing Game Booster won't do any harm by itself, but the usage of the program will inevitably do. About optimizations, I use maintenance software, while the optimizations themselves are done by me, with strict control and knowledge of what they can and cannot do. Looking at sound quality, we can think of two ways of it being improved, both improving the sound quality itself, which would refer to some issue on the default configuration and not expected to be there in the first place, or reducing/eliminating system issues that would affect audio in general, such as crackling, popping, and such, making for a glitch free audio, which is an improvement by itself. For this purpose, I consider my configurations to have reduced issues to a minimum or to be non existent, as the machine I listen music to is also the machine where I do general computer usage, although every system is different and can't have the exact same approach, which is why a "one size fits all" solution doesn't work as intended.

@Currawong: If links is what you want, I'll post them. Seems I might have to get other testimonials as well:
http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?68552-Corrupt-Quarantine-details-after-using-Game-Booster
http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=10539
http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/88736-gamebooster-grand-theft-auto-san-andreas.html
http://www.thebuddyforum.com/general-discussion-forum/13590-gamebooster-problem.html
http://www.davescomputertips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1150

It's like I said before, all the apps I use are reliable and don't cause any issues whatsoever. Reliability is something very important, and unlike how for headphones to have different signatures, they usually have to sacrifice part of the spectrum in favor of another, computer systems can have their performnce improved without having to give something in return, but of course that this is only achievable if done consciously.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #33 of 188
I just read "The Art Of Building Computer Transports." Rarely has one place contained so much misinformation. Set to 256 colours for high quality audio? Kill explorer.exe? Whilst, as the article is obviously aimed at transports (not as bad as doing it to your main computer) there is a vast pile of stuff there that "total waste of time" doesn't do justice. The fact that to choose components and so on the guy must be vaguely computer literate only makes it more terrifying.

Does anyone really believe that all the running processes "pollute" your audio? Just because someone found the word "Jitter" relating to something doesn't mean it's going to affect the sound. Reminds me of a certain member who found the phrase "Operating System Jitter" in some IBM documentation, promptly leapt to the wrong conclusion and has a whole website devoted to all the stuff he's done to prevent it corrupting his audio.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #34 of 188
I don't trust these programs. Of course it's difficult to find solid evidence that using these programs will destroy the internal workings of your OS (registry and stuff). On the surface, what it is doing may seem harmless - shutting down updaters and stuff, what could go wrong, right?
But you really don't know man, it might be messing with your registries and shutting down certain "unuseful" programs, which might cause problems to arise in the long run.

Yes, I know I sound like a paranoid foo.

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #35 of 188
Willakan, I agree that many of the steps described in that article seem unneccessary to say the least; although, I've read opinions comparing PC transports before and after, and the difference is said to be night and day. Does it need such drastic steps as decribed there: I would like to find out but I don't want to reduce my PC to a role of transport only. I'm looking for alternatives, and I thought that GameBooster with it's option of reserving maximum system resources for chosen application could be a test if it all really "pollutes" my audio.

Theory behind this is every running application rivals with audio player for bus/cpu/ram's time and/or resources and causes time instability of digital signal that is outputted, at least I remeber it being decribed so in "The Art... ". Well, in audio small things can have big impact on sound, I'm no computing engineer to judge that article, My ears tell me there is probably no audbile difference with GameBooster on but maybe it's just not disabling enough things :wink:

Sadly, after 2 and so pages nobody has written whether he or she hears any difference with any such performance enchaner, mostly doubts, assumptions, or Game Booster criticism...

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #36 of 188
I've read the theory, it's still bollocks (with a few minor exceptions - setting sample rate correctly and the like is always required for bit-perfect output.) If anyone says they hear any difference (unless they hadn't previously set up their system for bit-perfect output, which is ridiculously easy to do) I suggest that "difference" would disappear under test conditions that eliminate bias.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #38 of 188
Leaving all the discussion why behind, have any of you guys tried fidelizer/gamebooster/jplay/anyotheraudioenchancingapplication and can repory any sound benefits from reduced background processes/applications?

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #39 of 188
Quote:
Leaving all the discussion why behind, have any of you guys tried fidelizer/gamebooster/jplay/anyotheraudioenchancingapplication and can repory any sound benefits from reduced background processes/applications?

I haven't used them for audio (though I recall trying Game Booster years ago for other reasons). However, I regularly play games (MMOs, or casual single-player games) and listen to music in Foobar at the same time, and I've never noticed a degradation in sound quality from that extra processing. So from my perspective no, I wouldn't hear the difference caused by killing minor background processes.

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #40 of 188
Hmm, so if there is any difference you would most probably notice it if you are listening with what's mentioned in your list. Have you compared your PC to any traditional transport like a CD player, then?

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #41 of 188
Quote:
Hmm, so if there is any difference you would most probably notice it if you are listening with what's mentioned in your list. Have you compared your PC to any traditional transport like a CD player, then?

No, and it would be inconclusive anyway because I wouldn't be able to use the same DAC. The uDAC only has a USB input. My Clip+ has no line-out for my amp, so I can't use that either. Also I don't have a CD player 
biggrin.gif

It's possible my amp and DAC are introducing so much noise and distortion that the otherwise "audible" jitter from my system and games is masked. I'd be happy to do a real quick comparison between game and no-game sound once I get my DAC1. The results probably won't mean anything, reverse placebo and all that. Maybe if I can find a game that's demanding but loads quickly, I could set up an ABX test. I don't care enough to go through the trouble.

Hey, maybe someone could ABX audio quality with and without explorer.exe running 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #42 of 188

Quote:

I used Fidelizer back when I had my STX, it was barely notice able but I had to listen for it.Newer Fidelizer cause issues so if you do try it. use the one that roller suggests which is 1.6.

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #43 of 188
You could try running Prime95 whilst listening to music to see if CPU usage makes a difference. I wonder if it is possible to sustain an unbroken stream of audio under such a benchmark...hold that thought...

EDIT: If you try this on a laptop, please make sure it has adequate cooling. I am not responsible for your fan-less laptop you put on a blanket catching fire.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #44 of 188
If it is possible to listen to music while running Prime95 then that would be because it's not intensive enough IMO. 

Try with Intel Burn Test or LinX instead (if you have a more recent CPU) it will be far harder on your hardware (and temps will go much higher too). 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
You could try running Prime95 whilst listening to music to see if CPU usage makes a difference. I wonder if it is possible to sustain an unbroken stream of audio under such a benchmark...hold that thought...

EDIT: If you try this on a laptop, please make sure it has adequate cooling. I am not responsible for your fan-less laptop you put on a blanket catching fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back