Blur Earbuds Lovers
Oct 16, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #1,081 of 1,529
Wong gives them about 30 hours before they leave the nest. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm well over 300 hours and I doubt I could tell any difference from the first few hours I listened. Maybe there is some brain burn in, but I'm not convinced. Enjoy!

I have noticed differences several times and still wonder brain burn-in vs drivers/cables settling etc - which tbh the logical reasoning still doesn't compute so I probably lean towards the former... I suppose so many other factors too at any listening interval; time of day, tiredness, choice of music, mood, distractions etc. I'm a bit OCD about things in general so I now go through the burn process regardless just in case :) But indeed, all about the enjoyment of which there is plenty!

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #1,082 of 1,529
Spending a bit of time with my pk32... feels more intimate, accessible and really taps that emotional connection.

I'm enjoying these a lot!

20211016_163506.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 16, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #1,084 of 1,529
Are they larger in diameter than your em5s?
Do compare it to em5 after your assessment.

Smaller, they actually fit the best of buds I've tried. Will definitely compare!

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #1,085 of 1,529
Which blur should I ask for if I want a nice bit of sub bass but also good mids and airy highs?
Looking at your gear list I would say that either the OFC PK150 Wraith SE or the 266 MX150 aPs Retune as suggested by @ian91 would fit that bill quite nicely. Let's see what others will recommend.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #1,086 of 1,529
Agreed, I've such precious memories associated with this album from that time in the early 90s, likewise many others.

PK32 has landed and I'm on my lunch break, seems best to choose Aphex Twin as the first to test! I shall report back...

Spending a bit of time with my pk32... feels more intimate, accessible and really taps that emotional connection.

I'm enjoying these a lot!

Very nice pics you took there Scuba! I always enjoy seeing earbuds and the associated gear/sources in action.
Concur, the PK16 White Face and it's replacement the PK32 New Line both offer a very nice "being there" feeling in their signatures. Nice and smooth with a touch of warmness that is not over bearing or veiling.
Smaller, they actually fit the best of buds I've tried. Will definitely compare!
Indeed, my smallish ears also prefer the PK shell. I also find that due to PK drivers sitting ever so more closely to the face than in a MX type shell (thus being closer to our ear canals upon insertion) does offer a slightly different kind of timbre which I like.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #1,088 of 1,529
I'm thinking of buying one of these Blur earbuds, but I don't know which one to get.

My favorite IEMs are without a doubt the Mest, closely followed by the Isabellae.

And if I have to choose between tonality and technicalities, I would stick with tonality. The more similar to the Isabellae (powerful bass, sweet mids and highs with a lot of extension) the better.

Oh, and I'm a fan of small capsules.

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #1,089 of 1,529
I'm thinking of buying one of these Blur earbuds, but I don't know which one to get.

My favorite IEMs are without a doubt the Mest, closely followed by the Isabellae.

And if I have to choose between tonality and technicalities, I would stick with tonality. The more similar to the Isabellae (powerful bass, sweet mids and highs with a lot of extension) the better.

Oh, and I'm a fan of small capsules.
That will be a tough one mate as the UE Mest is a balanced signature leaning earphone... it's U-Shaped signature is nearly completely opposite of the Blur House Sound tuning which is very mid-centric focused with strong mid-forward tendencies (an acquired taste most definitely). @ian91 what do you think?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #1,090 of 1,529
I have 3 blurs and used to own a MEST. I think blurs are generally known for great mids. Almost there equivalent of hd6xx in earbuds. I’ve never come across an earbud that sounds like a MEST. If you know of one then please let me know!

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,092 of 1,529
That will be a tough one mate as the UE Mest is a balanced signature leaning earphone... it's U-Shaped signature is nearly completely opposite of the Blur House Sound tuning which is very mid-centric focused with strong mid-forward tendencies (an acquired taste most definitely). @ian91 what do you think?

I have 3 blurs and used to own a MEST. I think blurs are generally known for great mids. Almost there equivalent of hd6xx in earbuds. I’ve never come across an earbud that sounds like a MEST. If you know of one then please let me know!
I don't think the Mest has a U-shaped sound, but more of a W-shaped sound.

But in any case it has become clear to me that the Blur profile is not what I am looking for.

Thanks!

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #1,093 of 1,529
What does that blur sound like?

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #1,094 of 1,529
The following earbud models are all U-Shaped:

2017 - HE 150PRO (150Ω @ 103dB/M; aka Hi-Fi End);
2014 - TinGo TG-38S (16Ω @ 95dB/mW);
2018 - TinGo TC200 (9Ω @ 95dB/mW; in TinGo TG38S Shell)

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,095 of 1,529
I don't think the Mest has a U-shaped sound, but more of a W-shaped sound.

But in any case it has become clear to me that the Blur profile is not what I am looking for.

Thanks!
I think you might be mixing up your signature designations as W-Shape is typically referring to a primary mid-forward signature with secondary lifts in the bass and treble like so:
1644766090282.png
U-Shaped does not necessarily mean recessed mids either as the MEST offers a very thick and full mid-range.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back