Bluesound Node - New 2021 model!!
Feb 15, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #167 of 212
Just for a Supra USB 2.0 cable, made in Sweden. Inexpensive, well built as I’ve ever seen, great sound quality, music appears to come from a blacker back ground. Robust connections, beats the crap out of AQ, they should be ashamed of them selves! They make a higher end version but no need to go there, based on my experience and some online reviews as well. $50 for a meter. Add $10 each additional meter.
I was looking at these actually. Saw Mediahound do a YT review on both regular and Excalibur ($150) version. From what I remember, he couldn't tell much of a difference between the 2.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #169 of 212
I found it! says "1694A" so it's the same one? This cable is very stiff. Now I remember why I tucked it away. Could easily be trusted as climbing equipment :laughing:
That's the one. I believe it is their standard coax cable. It is very stiff and I felt like it might damage the equipment. I use their 1505F coax cables with my Node 2is now and it's much better (you have to click on "More Options" to order it). Link below in case anyone is interested:

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/indexextmob.htm

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #172 of 212
I found it! says "1694A" so it's the same one? This cable is very stiff. Now I remember why I tucked it away. Could easily be trusted as climbing equipment :laughing:
I use the bluejean 1694A coax, but I have plenty of room to work with behind my audio system. No problems. I could see how it could be a problem if you are working in a tight space but I think if you have enough room where you don’t have to bend the cable at sharper angles the 1694A is a good choice. I actually have two of them. One is terminated with a bnc connection. I use one for a cd transport and the other for the node 3, both running into the gungnir.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #173 of 212
Ok I’ve received the node and am very happy with it so far but I haven’t had time for an extensive listening session just yet.

I like the sound of Qobuz a lot and their search feature works pretty well on bluos. But I don’t like how unorganized it feels compared to the Qobuz iOS app but still not horrible by any means. Very similar to volumio’s Qobuz integration.

The nugs.net integration is a very nice feature over Volumio but it’s admittedly a little weak and less capable than the iOS app.
my main problem with the nugs integration is it’s oriented toward MQA which I don’t want. It doesn’t have the ability to turn off mqa or select quality like you can in Qobuz on bluos or in the nugs.net iOS app. Many of the more popular bands (and my favorites)on nugs have started releasing everything in MQA so it automatically plays that when selected in bluos. Whereas you can easily turn off all MQA in the nugs.net iOS app. I guess it’s understandable because bluos is made as an MQA capable player and gives it priority over other formats.

Anyone know if the bluos team can or will make adjustments to certain music service integration per users’ requests? How many people does it take to make them focus on changing a feature such as turning off MQA in nugs.net?

I’m using the blue jeans standard coax and it is stiff but I have plenty of room to work with so it’s not a problem for me. And it sounds amazing! I tried usb for a short time but I don’t like how I can’t plug my external hard drive at the same time. They really should have added another USB port imo. But not a big deal because coax works and sounds great to me.

I’m also using the wireworld mini Electra but who knows if it’s making any difference over the stock power cable. I haven’t compared them. I don’t use power conditioners so maybe the power cord upgrade was pointless as I’m just getting poor quality city power. Also as mention by someone here the node in my case is being used as a transport so power upgrades will be minimal at best.

As far as the node vs the pi2aes :
in my system of a yggy, zmf pendant se and zmf verite I don’t think I can hear much of a difference. Maybe a little less dynamic and resolving but I think I might like the smoothness I’m hearing. Very minimal if anything at all. Switching inputs on the yggy between the same track on the node and the pi2aes is undeniably indistinguishable and I forgot which was which a few times. So looks like I may sell the pi2aes but I will miss the network sharing capabilities that Volumio has.
My opinion may change upon speaker listening and an extensive hp session (about the pi2aes sounding nearly the same or even identical in a blind test) but I think my initial impressions from the short listen and comparison will stick as my headphone setup is revealing and capable enough for me to easily discern any difference between the two.
Thanks to all for your detailed info guidance in this thread. Best source on the web!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #175 of 212
Yes the usb digital output is working for me into the yggy but it has volume control so maybe not bit perfect unless at full volume. I’m going to compare usb vs coax for sound differences tonight and decide which sounds better to me on my system.
So far the node sounds pretty darn good via coax or usb.
As I stated before the usb output eliminates the ability to connect a usb drive. I think I’ll have to look into plugging my external hard drive into my Wi-Fi router for a nas drive if I’m understanding that correctly. I just don’t know much about the setup involved (and equipment)to use an external hard drive as a nas drive with the node.

I ordered some blue jeans cat6 cables via their Ethernet special of two 5 foot cables for $22 shipped. What a steal!

I’m also wondering for streaming music would a network Ethernet switch have better sound quality vs plugging into my Wi-Fi router?

Edit : @chaotic angel, I don’t know about 32 bit output nor do I understand why anyone would have music in 32 bits in the first place.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #177 of 212
Has anyone gone from a Node 2i to the new Node? If using an external DAC, anyone know if this is a worthwhile upgrade? I know it has a better processor, I use Amazon music exclusively which I know is laggy most likely due to issues with their API, but wondering if anyone has experienced any performance improvements in the new Node as far as faster loading of songs etc?

Mar 13, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #178 of 212
Has anyone gone from a Node 2i to the new Node? If using an external DAC, anyone know if this is a worthwhile upgrade? I know it has a better processor, I use Amazon music exclusively which I know is laggy most likely due to issues with their API, but wondering if anyone has experienced any performance improvements in the new Node as far as faster loading of songs etc?
Not an answer as such but I have an Amazon HD sub and it is certainly not laggy either through my new Node and external dac or indeed my Sonos set up.
My only complaint is how limited you are with equipment than is licensed to use Amazon as opposed to Tidal.

Mar 13, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #179 of 212
I also have the newer NODE, with external DAC,plus Amazon HD and my setup is not laggy at all. Huck

Mar 14, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #180 of 212

How do you mean Laggy? Have you tried connecting directly to your router instead of wifi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back