Blues/Jazz for Beginners
Jan 13, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
Take Five is actualy from the album "Time Out". Take Five, as I said previously, is the most well known from the Brubeck/ Desmond collaboration.

The Quartet was:
Dave Brubeck -- Piano
Paul Desmond -- Alto Sax
Joe Morello -- Drums
Gene Wright -- Bass [/B]

gaineso, I knew that -- but look at what time it was when I posted
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #17 of 50
hehehe, i picked a pile of cds yesterday, 16 in total. I listened to the brubeck cd and loved it, very relaxing stuff. I couldnt find any MFSL product though, so where do you guys/gals order your jazz/blues online?

I also grabbed a cd of each artist: Miles, Coltrane, Holiday, and probably another one...can't remember! I was also looking for "take the A train" by ellington, which cd is recommended with this song? I'm also looking for a few "audiophile" grade jazz/blues cds, i know what low bass sounds like because of a test track i have, but i'd like to hear it sounds like with a band playing.

Oh yea: how bout brit pop/weird pop, like Oasis, Coldplay, Radiohead (the weirdos), Blur, etc. I'm probably missing out on so much stuff!
frown.gif

TIA!

George

Jan 14, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #18 of 50
Anyone interested in the Brubeck quartet should pick up their recently released 2-CD set "At Carnegie Hall" from 1963.
I've heard or own almost all of the Brubeck Quartet's records and this is the tightest they've ever sounded, better than "Timeout" even. There's also more of a hard swing to the group as opposed to the extreme 'coolness' of "Timeout".

As for sound quality, a hidden gem is the Brubeck quartet's "Buried Treasures: Recorded Live in Mexico City" from 1967 - the best sound quality of all their records imo.

You won't be dissapointed with either.

Jan 14, 2002 at 12:53 AM Post #19 of 50
Cool, BenG, thanks for the rec., i'll pick them up next time i hit a shop. I always prefer Live recordings (of course).

George

Jan 14, 2002 at 8:13 AM Post #20 of 50
Brad Mehldau - Places

Surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet, I saw him mentioned somewhere on here a few weeks ago and tonight I picked up Places. He plays piano, which I find refreshing compared to sax and trumpet, or more brass (I tend to shy away from brass a bit, don't ask why, it isn't that I don't like it but that I like other stuff more), but if you want a nice jazz pianist to add to your collection, this is an excellent choice.

Jan 14, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #21 of 50
Here is my starter list for jazz cds - some of which have already been mentioned:

Louis Armstrong - "Hot Fives and Sevens" (JSP) 4 cd box set available for about $25.00 - absolutely essential classic jazz

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - "Moanin'" (Blue Note)

Clifford Brown - "Clifford Brown and Max Roach" (Verve/Emarcy)

Ornette Coleman - "The Shape of Jazz to Come" (Atlantic) - seminal free jazz session

John Coltrane - "Blue Train" (Blue Note), "Giant Steps"(Atlantic), "A Love Supreme" (Impulse)

Chick Corea - "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs" (Blue Note/UA)

Miles Davis - "Relaxin" (Fantasy/Original Jazz Classics), "Kind of Blue" (Columbia), "Miles Smiles" (Columbia)

Duke Ellington - "The Blanton Webster Band" (RCA) a 3 cd set of material by the band generally acknowledge to be Ellington's best

Bill Evans - "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" (Fantasy/OJC), "Waltz for Debby" (Fantasy/OJC) - these two discs, recorded live at New York's Village Vanguard set the standard for the piano, bass, drums jazz trio

Dexter Gordon - "Go" (Blue Note) or "A Swingin' Affair" (Blue Note)

Herbie Hancock - "Maiden Vogage" (Blue Note)

Charles Mingus - "Mingus Ah um" (Columbia), "Blues and Roots" (Rhino/Atlantic)

Hank Mobley - "Soul Station" (Blue Note)

Thelonious Monk - "Genius of Modern Music Vol.s I & II" (Blue Note), "Brilliant Corners" (Fantasy/OJC), "Monk's Music" (Fantasy/OJC)

Wes Montgomery - "Incredible Jazz Guitar" (Fantasy/OJC)

Lee Morgan - "The Sidewinder" (Blue Note)

Oliver Nelson - "The Blues and the Abstract Truth" (Impulse)

Charlie Parker - "Yardbird Suite: The Ultimate Charlie Parker Collection" (Rhino) - This 2 cd compilation is the perfect introduction to Charlie Parker containing most of his essential performances for both the Dial and Savoy labels as well as some rare live radio broadcasts - includes a deluxe booklet with great biographical and discographical information and cool pics.

Art Pepper - "Meets the Rhythm Section" (Fantasy/OJC)

Oscar Peterson - "Night Train" (Verve"

Bud Powell - "The Amazing Bud Powell Vol.s I & II" (Blue Note)

Sonny Rollins - "Saxophone Colossus" (Fantasy/OJC), "A Night at the Village Vanguard" (Fantasy/OJC)

Wayne Shorter - "Speak No Evil" (Blue Note), "Ju Ju" (Blue Note)

Horace Silver - "Song for My Father" (Blue Note)

There is so much good jazz out there - I had to leave out a lot of excellent, exellent music. Nonetheless, I think this is a pretty good starting list - although it is a bit heavy on Blue Note albums from 1955-65 (my favorite era in jazz).

P.S. - I intentionally left out more "out" or avant-garde sessions (other than the Ornette Coleman) but if you develop a taste for more out jazz you should start with Blue Note albums like Andrew Hill's "Point of Departure" and Eric Dolphy's "Out to Lunch" and work your way up to artists like Albert Ayler and Cecil Taylor.

Jan 15, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #24 of 50
Dunno anything about blues, but for real old-school swing jazz, pick up some Count Basie -- and if you find Benny Goodman: Live from New York 1938, get it!

You've never heard vibraphone unless you've heard Lionel Hampton (there's a Lionel Hampton & Oscar Peterson duo album that I love).

Jan 15, 2002 at 12:31 PM Post #25 of 50
MacDEF:

Obviously "Milestones" is one of my favorite Miles sessions. However, the lineup on it is very similar to that of the "Kind of Blue" session (Bill Evans for Red Garland and Jimmy Cobb for Philly Joe Jones being the only difference).

I just think one of the Prestige sessions with the classic quartet (Cookin', Relaxin', Workin', Steamin') and "Kind of Blue" makes a more logical starting place for a newbie than "Milestones", since, again, the sextet on Milestones was kind of a transition group for Miles between the classic quintet and the sextet with Cannonball Adderly and Bill Evans.

However, the bottom line is you can't go wrong with about any Miles Davis album from the early 50s up through the early 70s - I just think the albums I recommended make a good starting point for exploring Miles. Once you've started you'll have to have them all -trust me.
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2002 at 2:45 PM Post #26 of 50
For blues you could try Robert Johnson. He recorded in the mid thirties. He was rumored to have sold his soul to the devil to gain skill as a guitar player. Almost everybody that plays blues covers his material. You can get all his recordings in a two disc box set.

Jan 15, 2002 at 4:11 PM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
Oh yea: how bout brit pop/weird pop, like Oasis, Coldplay, Radiohead (the weirdos), Blur, etc. I'm probably missing out on so much stuff!
frown.gif

TIA!

George

So that's what it's called!
biggrin.gif

Try out:

Coldplay: Parachutes
Coldplay: The Blue Room E.P.
(Two really great CDs... these days I actually prefer Coldplay to Radiohead - it's a bit less whiney)

Radiohead: O.K. Computer
Radiohead: My Iron Lung
Perhaps Radiohead: Kid A (I can't really make up my mind about this one)
I haven't heard The Bends or the newest one, just don't buy Pablo Honey! (it sucks, the only track worth listening to is Creep and there is an acoustic version on My Iron Lung - I wish I hadn't bought this album
frown.gif
)

Kashmir: The Good Life (Danish band so you probably can't find it anywhere... great CD though)

Jan 15, 2002 at 5:15 PM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Mumrik

So that's what it's called!
biggrin.gif

Try out:

Coldplay: Parachutes
Coldplay: The Blue Room E.P.
(Two really great CDs... these days I actually prefer Coldplay to Radiohead - it's a bit less whiney)

Radiohead: O.K. Computer
Radiohead: My Iron Lung
Perhaps Radiohead: Kid A (I can't really make up my mind about this one)
I haven't heard The Bends or the newest one, just don't buy Pablo Honey! (it sucks, the only track worth listening to is Creep and there is an acoustic version on My Iron Lung - I wish I hadn't bought this album
frown.gif
)

Kashmir: The Good Life (Danish band so you probably can't find it anywhere... great CD though)

I have parachutes and all of radioheads albums and a bunch of bootlegs too
biggrin.gif

Basically i'm looking for some brit "pop" bands that haven't landed on this side of the Atlantic...yet. I should pick up a issue of 'Q' and read up on all the bands i must be missing out on
wink.gif

Thanks for the recommendations though!
cool.gif

George

Jan 15, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Mumrik
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Maybe you should listen to The Blue Room E.P..... if you haven't got that one.

Yup! I will pick it up!
rolleyes.gif
hehehe

George
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back