Blues/Jazz for Beginners
Jan 16, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #32 of 50
Ascension (Coltrane) - only for the adventurous beginner
Blue Train (Coltrane) - classic
A Love Supreme (Coltrane) - Classic
Crescent (Coltrane) - Semi-Classic
Meditations (Coltrane) - Semi-Classic
New Thing At Newport (Coltrane) - Interesting
Impressions (Coltrane) - Unusual for trane...very...basic!?
Giant Steps (Coltrane) - Technically brilliant classic
My Favorite Things (Coltrane) - one beautiful solo - classic

I love Trane. 'nuff said.

(this aint a joke either....you can't go wrong with ANY of those albums, tho they all have some fire, if you will....not stuff that's great to fall asleep to - except perhaps Blue Train or Meditations).

Jan 16, 2002 at 7:26 AM Post #33 of 50
vij,
you are a very astute musicl over, especially considering your age.Please tell me where you gained your knowledge and love of Coltrane.I had a life changing experience when a friend took me to Lionel Hampton's jazz club in London and I saw Miles Davis and Nina Simone perform together.I have been a Jazz lover ever since.

Jan 16, 2002 at 12:21 PM Post #34 of 50
Yeah coolvij - it definitely is unusual for someone your age to appreciate Trane like you do.

When I was in junior high school I was listening to complete crap music like everybody else.

Keep the faith.

Jan 16, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #35 of 50
Personally, I LOVE Kid A. Not a big fan of amnesiac though. Just can't get into it.
frown.gif

Oh yeah, I'm ordering a few jazz cds myself. GREAT thread! I'm starting to llike jazz.

Jan 17, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Mumrik

I haven't heard The Bends or the newest one, just don't buy Pablo Honey! (it sucks, the only track worth listening to is Creep and there is an acoustic version on My Iron Lung - I wish I hadn't bought this album
frown.gif
)

I've never been a big fan of Creep (I got into Radiohead through the Bends then OK Computer, and never even knew Creep was Radiohead until after I was already a big fan of the band), but I've never regretted picking up Pablo Honey. It certainly isn't a masterpiece, but none of the songs are really bad - just mediocre.
There are a handful of worthwhile songs on the disc; Thinking about you is a great acoustic song, and the last 4 or 5 tracks are really very strong IMO - Lurgee and Blow Out are especially good.

[edit]Why do I always catch silly spelling mistakes after I post...

Jan 17, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Personally, I LOVE Kid A. Not a big fan of amnesiac though. Just can't get into it.
frown.gif

Oh yeah, I'm ordering a few jazz cds myself. GREAT thread! I'm starting to llike jazz.

Really?! I'm surprised, i got into Amnesiac much more than Kid A, i actually started listening to Kid A once i saw them live at MSG this past summer.

As for this thread, it kicks butt, i'm very glad to see all the rec's people have been posting...i'm addicted to Brubeck's: Time Out, great cd, sounds great with the 501's paired with my cmoy!

George
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2002 at 3:45 AM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Milestones
When I was in junior high school I was listening to complete crap music like everybody else.

Keep the faith.

WHat, Vanilla Ice?!

eek.gif

George

Jan 17, 2002 at 12:30 PM Post #40 of 50
Boy - obviously you didn't check my profile and see my age. Vanilla Ice was popular when I was in college.

When I was in junior high I was listening to Van Halen, Rush, and the Police as well as bunch of really bad pop music on the radio. Of course I still have a soft place in my heart for early 80s pop music - even though most of it was complete crap.

Jan 17, 2002 at 3:24 PM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

When I was in junior high I was listening to Van Halen, Rush, and the Police as well as bunch of really bad pop music on the radio.

So are you implying that Van Halen, Rush, and the Police constitute "complete crap music?" Or are those the exceptions?

Personally, I think there's lots of amazing music in the Rush and Police catalogs, and Van Halen's music was lots of fun if not particularly deep. I listen to classical and jazz now as well, but I would never trash Rush or the Police.

Oh, and gloco -- there's nothing wrong with Louis Armstrong. Why would you think we would laugh?

Jan 17, 2002 at 3:41 PM Post #42 of 50
I don't consider either the Police or Rush's music to be crap - Van Halen on the other hand.........

When I was referring to the bad music I listened to in those days, I was mostly referring to the steady diet of pop music I listened to on the radio.

I also begain listening to some great music in those days like U2 and REM back when they were youngsters.

Jan 17, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

I don't consider either the Police or Rush's music to be crap - Van Halen on the other hand.........

Alright, early VH was simply amazing, name one other band that sounded like VH, i can't think of any! IMHO of course.

George

Jan 17, 2002 at 4:00 PM Post #44 of 50
Quote:

Boy - obviously you didn't check my profile and see my age. Vanilla Ice was popular when I was in college.

Oops, my fault, most headfiers dont seem to put the year up. All kidding aside, the DLR years were great.

George

Jan 17, 2002 at 4:31 PM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
[Oh, and gloco -- there's nothing wrong with Louis Armstrong. Why would you think we would laugh? [/B]

...as he offer's gloco a hanky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back