Blues/Jazz for Beginners
Jan 17, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #46 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by dotrat

...as he offer's gloco a hanky!

LOL, well, due to the lack of Jazz cd's i have in my collection. Plus, its a greatest hits cd, and i know some folks here dismiss "grt hits" cds because they tend to leave out some of the best work by any artist.

George

Jan 17, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #47 of 50
Milestones/Tuberoller: You guys make me feel so special
smily_headphones1.gif

It all started when my mom played smooth jazz on the radio when I was like, what, 6.....since then, I've always appreciated the sax's wonderful sound. I got into Sonny Rollins when I was maybe 9 - but soon, I was bored. The music wasn't challenging.

My parents are both from India, and the first live music experience I was part of was a Panchavadhyam performance - a south indian percussion ensemble that does some pretty damn near amazing things. And they syncopate, too!

So....I was exposed to this complex rythymic stuff early on - and Sonny Rollins (I know appreciate his melodic ability better) didn't experiment much. Very straight jazz, I thought.

I sighed.....and purchased Kind Of Blue when I was 12. I thought - all right, but over-rated.

Except for that tenor....i had just started playing the instrument myself, and was in love with its amazing tibre, potential for changing sound with embouchre adjustments, and range. And I was hearing Trane for the first time on KOB - using the tenor to its potential! (at least, I *thought* he was going all out, lol!).

After that, I purchased Blue Train, which is still my favorite "straight" jazz CD. Then I purchased A Love Supreme at age 13, which basically changed my way of appreciating music....I realized that there is something in music that transcends melody, rythym, and beat. Something beyond embouchre and technique, more than just scales and notes. I realized music, at least really good music, could inspire people emotionally. A Love Supreme did this for me, and still does. I'm really starting to love Meditations as well, as it does this for me, too - and I got it just a few weeks ago.

Now I'm 14 years old, and feeling good. I love John Coltrane's music because it moves me - and I love my other fav. cds (be them rock, jazz, or whatnot) even more.

Sorry for the ramble, but I thought you two were interested in a decent explanation - so here it is.....

Jan 17, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #48 of 50
coolvij:

Thank you so much for sharing that.

It sounds like you like Trane's more "out" material better than his straight ahead stuff. Have you heard "Interstellar Space" yet? If you haven't you really should check it out. It's just Trane and Rashied Ali on drums and it is absolutely amazingly intense and beautiful (IMO) music.

I haven't listened to much Indian music, but I have heard (as you alluded to) that it is incredibly complex rhythmically.

By the way are you still playing sax? Do you think you might want to pursue a career in music?

Jan 18, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #49 of 50
Sure as hell am playing the sax - just got a lead solo today! For the 24th Annual North Shore Jazz Festival out here in Chicago!

(sorry for the !!s)

Musical career?

Well.......very appealing.

But my true passion is medicine. (i aspire to one day be a pediatric cardiologist)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back