Bluedio R+ Bluetooth 4.0 Headphones with NFC and APT-X
Mar 5, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #106 of 337
  The Question is are the hardware capable of aptx.
having it disabled doesn't mean it it cannot be re-enabled right?

Yeah i guess it is capable...but who knows...thats again advertised by the company..should we trust them if they already bluffed about aptX....do the average consumer has all the parts specifications, design engineering, product design, circuit diagrams and testing methods to verify it.

Imagine a world where heavily loaded smartphones are sold as being "capable" of everything you can imagine....and the customer after purchase is informed by the company to cook an equally "capable" bootloader, kernel, software drivers, and ROM for enjoying all the features...

You are correct on that,False advertising to the 10th degree if you ask me. Even down to the part of ordering some make believe tool to turn on aptx.. Hasn't happen, and from what I see it won't happen. IMO, I think Bluedio backed out and didn't want to pay for the aptx license.

I totally agree. Advertising features mean what the consumer will get out of the box from a product. Beating the drum for ApTX and then giving a lame answer via support channel, that aptX is disabled because of some "engineer's" wet dream....is the lamest it can get. An average consumer is not supposed to be a geek to hunt taobao for the USB SPI tool which somehow lacks a proper needed micro USB and then do the software re-enablement itself. This is clear deception....

Just a small query from BHazard , have created a separate thread for it too, hearing your experiences I have ordered a relatively rarely bought Rambotech BSH557, just please let me know that the Rambotech you tested had the aptX enabled by default straight out of the box or not, so I should know if i made the right alternate choice in place of Bluedio.

Thanks for your reply.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #107 of 337
  Yeah i guess it is capable...but who knows...thats again advertised by the company..should we trust them if they already bluffed about aptX....do the average consumer has all the parts specifications, design engineering, product design, circuit diagrams and testing methods to verify it.

Imagine a world where heavily loaded smartphones are sold as being "capable" of everything you can imagine....and the customer after purchase is informed by the company to cook an equally "capable" bootloader, kernel, software drivers, and ROM for enjoying all the features...

I totally agree. Advertising features mean what the consumer will get out of the box from a product. Beating the drum for ApTX and then giving a lame answer via support channel, that aptX is disabled because of some "engineer's" wet dream....is the lamest it can get. An average consumer is not supposed to be a geek to hunt taobao for the USB SPI tool which somehow lacks a proper needed micro USB and then do the software re-enablement itself. This is clear deception....

Just a small query from BHazard , have created a separate thread for it too, hearing your experiences I have ordered a relatively rarely bought Rambotech BSH557, just please let me know that the Rambotech you tested had the aptX enabled by default straight out of the box or not, so I should know if i made the right alternate choice in place of Bluedio.

Thanks for your reply.

The Rambotechs do. Bluedio does not.

The Bluedio EH, which is just like a Bluant Ribbon, also mentions it has aptX, when it does not. It really angers me that they continue to advertise a feature they do not have enabled.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #108 of 337
  Don't know about that, and it doesn't seemed possible. I based that opinon on the fact, that a lot of KNOWLEDGEABLE people have TRIED to enabled it, and NOBODY has succeeded. In addition, the info coming straight from Bluedio is not encouraging.  Leads me to believe it was intended false advertisement, or they back out of paying the license fees. If you notice, they make it REALLY hard for people trying to get this done. Then if a buyer has the time, know how, and does all the instruction, the word from Bluedio is "it is not a good idea".. I mean, come on, we don't have to be rocket scientists to see where they are coming from. Now, the proof of my opinion, is the point that not ONE buyer has got aptx to work on Bluedio headsets, not one!!

Very True,

but honestly the beats like bass boost EQing bothers me 10 times more than not having aptx.
I now only use it for phone calls ...

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #109 of 337

Very True,

but honestly the beats like bass boost EQing bothers me 10 times more than not having aptx.
I now only use it for phone calls ...

I have read that changing the EQ patterns via the - & + volume buttons at the same time remedies some of the bass. Even heard some are applying an EQ app, and doing some good in that department too. I am going to be banging the gym in these flashy Bluedios.. I have one, and in the near future I will have two sets of headphones that do have aptx and sound good. The Sony 10RBT, and the Sony 1RBTMK2(just ordered this one)

Shucks, even the $50 Creative Labs wp-350 has aptx and from reviews, sound daggone good too. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #110 of 337
I had enough!! 
gs1000.gif

I had two sets of Bluedio R+ that I got from Amazon. I was using one pair of them. Yesterday, I got feed up..Since I know how the apt-x enhances the bluetooth signal/sound/performance from using my Sony MDR 10RBT, I wasn't going for this false advertising. I advised Amazon, and they told me to return them. Also, I returned the Sony MDR 10RBT., not for lack of performance, in fact, I think these Sony mdr 10rbt headphones are super. However, I ordered the big brother to these, the Sony MDR 1RBT MK2, and since they look almost alike, no use me keeping both pair.. 

Also, on the same topic question of having apt-x, I wrote and email to Beats By DRE wanting to know if there top of the line Beats by Dre Studio  Wireless,($379.95) and asked their customer service do these headphones have apt-x??

Below is their laughable reply...
gs1000.gif

-----------------------

Subject
Does the top of the line Studio Wireless for $379.95 have apt-x

Response Via Email (Yanet M.)03/11/2014 11:58 AM
Hello Coleman,

Thank you for contacting Beats By Dr. Dre Support. My name is Yanet M. and I'll be assisting you.

I understand you are inquiring about our Studio Wireless. I apologize for any inconvenience. We don't have that information available.

Cheers,

Yanet M.

Beats by Dr.Dreâ„¢ Support
1-800-442-4000
Hours of Operation
6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. PST
Seven Days a Week
www.beatsbydre.com/support
------------------------------------------------------

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #112 of 337
In case anyone's wondering if I'm still alive, I actually got in contact with the taobao seller and they shipped me off the correct cable, it's in california now and I'm in ohio so it'll be a few days still but I'll see what happens. The cable is completely custom looking by the pictures I received.

I skimmed over a few posts in here since the last time I posted and noticed someone asked if the hardware is capable of aptX, and the answer to that is yes. When you plug in the headphones directly to a PC to charge or use as audio, it reports the model number of the SoC on the built in audio driver. If you look up this model on CSR's website it clearly states it is capable of a lot of things, and of course aptX is one of those things. Unfortunately Bluedio firmware developers obviously have no idea what they're doing and so it is disabled by default.

This cable is literally my last ditch effort at getting this SPI to work, if it doesn't I'll most likely be selling these headphones and looking at some more premium options.

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #113 of 337
I'm a little confused, does aptX on these headphones not work at all or does it just not work with smartphones? Will it work if connected to a Mac computer instead?

It will not work at all. They just advertise that it has apt-X in the R+ models and it doesn't.

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #114 of 337
In case anyone's wondering if I'm still alive, I actually got in contact with the taobao seller and they shipped me off the correct cable, it's in california now and I'm in ohio so it'll be a few days still but I'll see what happens. The cable is completely custom looking by the pictures I received.

I skimmed over a few posts in here since the last time I posted and noticed someone asked if the hardware is capable of aptX, and the answer to that is yes. When you plug in the headphones directly to a PC to charge or use as audio, it reports the model number of the SoC on the built in audio driver. If you look up this model on CSR's website it clearly states it is capable of a lot of things, and of course aptX is one of those things. Unfortunately Bluedio firmware developers obviously have no idea what they're doing and so it is disabled by default.

This cable is literally my last ditch effort at getting this SPI to work, if it doesn't I'll most likely be selling these headphones and looking at some more premium options.

Well, my money is on that it won't work. Too many hoops they are putting customers through.

In the the meantime here are what I think are two good choices at good prices, both with apt-X. The HK'S at $99 and Sony MDR 10rbt at $149.95 at best buy.
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HARKAR-BT-Z&status=

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bluetooth-wireless-headphones/1906001.p;jsessionid=1E284376951A3D72DF531870EB6F879E.bbolsp-app01-135?id=1219066879836&skuId=1906001&st=sony%20MDR%2010rbt&cp=1&lp=1

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #116 of 337
Well, my money is on that it won't work. Too many hoops they are putting customers through.

In the the meantime here are what I think are two good choices at good prices, both with apt-X. The HK'S at $99 and Sony MDR 10rbt at $149.95 at best buy.
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HARKAR-BT-Z&status=

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bluetooth-wireless-headphones/1906001.p;jsessionid=1E284376951A3D72DF531870EB6F879E.bbolsp-app01-135?id=1219066879836&skuId=1906001&st=sony%20MDR%2010rbt&cp=1&lp=1

I've tried the Sony MDR 10RBT and i wasn't really impressed with them, I returned them after a couple days.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #117 of 337

I've tried the Sony MDR 10RBT and i wasn't really impressed with them, I returned them after a couple days.

Did you try them with apt-x turned on in the Sony(power plus volume + turns on apt-x on the Sony 10rbt) and a apt-x compatible device such as the Samsung Galaxy Note 2,3 ??,

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #118 of 337
Yes I did that about 5 minutes after i took them out of the box as I was reading the manual and found that button combination. I did notice the difference but they still didn't sound good enough for the $250 I paid for them at the time.

On another note I received the cable and have successfully gotten the R+ to communicate with my computer, I can adjust the built in EQ tables and apply EQ to individual codecs. That said, I have now completely confirmed that these at stock use SBC codec only, in joint stereo mode. There are like 200 parameters I can adjust with the PS Tool but it will take me some time to figure out if there's one to enable apt-x.

Don't believe me?

Circled on the left is the current data running through the codec, during this image I am playing a FLAC audio file on my note 3 over bluetooth. Circled on the right is the decoder configuration window, while it may seem like un-checking SBC may disable SBC and force it to fallover to another codec it doesn't work this way. Basically the check boxes just determine whether EQ, Compander, Post mastering are applied to the stream before they are output in analog (to the speakers.)

I'm ecstatic this finally works, and if anyone was wondering from previous posts about the cable, it's completely proprietary and even though I can plug both sides into both the SPI and the headphones, it is one way and the PC will not see the headphones if I switch sides. I don't know if there is a way to enable aptX or not as I have barely scratched the surface of the programming tools of this suite but I'll look into it.

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #119 of 337
Yes I did that about 5 minutes after i took them out of the box as I was reading the manual and found that button combination. I did notice the difference but they still didn't sound good enough for the $250 I paid for them at the time.

On another note I received the cable and have successfully gotten the R+ to communicate with my computer, I can adjust the built in EQ tables and apply EQ to individual codecs. That said, I have now completely confirmed that these at stock use SBC codec only, in joint stereo mode. There are like 200 parameters I can adjust with the PS Tool but it will take me some time to figure out if there's one to enable apt-x.

Don't believe me?

Circled on the left is the current data running through the codec, during this image I am playing a FLAC audio file on my note 3 over bluetooth. Circled on the right is the decoder configuration window, while it may seem like un-checking SBC may disable SBC and force it to fallover to another codec it doesn't work this way. Basically the check boxes just determine whether EQ, Compander, Post mastering are applied to the stream before they are output in analog (to the speakers.)

I'm ecstatic this finally works, and if anyone was wondering from previous posts about the cable, it's completely proprietary and even though I can plug both sides into both the SPI and the headphones, it is one way and the PC will not see the headphones if I switch sides. I don't know if there is a way to enable aptX or not as I have barely scratched the surface of the programming tools of this suite but I'll look into it.

Run the firmware update with the tool first. It should then be an option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back