Blue Announces Ella, Sadie and Satellite Headphones @ CES 2017
Jan 8, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #31 of 327
Wow! What an awesome find and post. Thanks for the info. I've never heard the Mofi but a lot of people like it and say the amp was good. If they've improved it even more with their latest headphones, then that's a great bonus to us consumers.
I really like what Blue is doing, too. They're not just repackaging existing technology, they're trailblazing and setting new trends. They're doing what Apple used to do a long time ago. Thanks for the great read.

Sure no problem. Glad you liked it!

That's of no surprise to me because I know FiiO makes great amps. lol So I agree completely with "a lot of people". lol 

Yes, very true! And as we see new reviews come out for the Ella, Sadie & Satellite, we can get further confirmation of said improvements to the amp (and overall sound). 

In addition to all that, you may have noticed in the article that the Satellite uses a separate driver for the ANC and another one for the sound itself. I think this was brought up earlier in this thread, but not sure now. Anyway, taking that approach when (surprisingly) no one else has on ANC headphones as of yet shows once again that Blue isn't at all afraid to stand out in an ever-growing crowd of headphone manufacturers. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #32 of 327
Sure no problem. Glad you liked it!

That's of no surprise to me because I know FiiO makes great amps. lol So I agree completely with "a lot of people". lol 

Yes, very true! And as we see new reviews come out for the Ella, Sadie & Satellite, we can get further confirmation of said improvements to the amp (and overall sound). 

In addition to all that, you may have noticed in the article that the Satellite uses a separate driver for the ANC and another one for the sound itself. I think this was brought up earlier in this thread, but not sure now. Anyway, taking that approach when (surprisingly) no one else has on ANC headphones as of yet shows once again that Blue isn't at all afraid to stand out in an ever-growing crowd of headphone manufacturers. 

I completely agree. They're trailblazing. They're doing things that no one else has thought about doing. Even if the Ella's turn out to be awesome, I may still want the Satellite's because they would serve a different purpose. Plus, I love that Blue never loses sight of what matters most...which is the SOUND. Unlike Bose, who wanted to cancel out noise and hopefully sound ok, Blue wants the headphones to sound fantastic first and THEN also be able to block out noise. And doesn't that just make sense?

Here's to Blue :beers:

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #33 of 327
First post here: I'm so excited for the Ella. After falling in love with my MoFi, I started wondering what else is out there and looked at all of the options. I was leaning towards maybe a dedicated amp/DAC or DAP style setup with some Planars but really wasn't into spending that much when I love the Blue so much.

After even more searching, I realized the MoFi is essentially my ideal set of non-summit headphones. A lot of reviews compared the set to the OppoPM3, HE400 and Black Dogs - which is weird because they're dynamic. After a break-in period, I found the MoFi incredibly comfortable. I'm not sure if I'd go for the wireless satellite because the current design is so good at isolation that it's almost/practically noise Cancelling.

I think, for me, they're really hitting the money in terms of what I actually want in headphones:
- Inspirational and detailed sound
- Versatility: ON+ for edm/bass/pop/rap, ON for rock/jazz/blues/classical
- Tank like Build
- Amp on board (like the Cipher, in terms of portability)
- Looks (I like them and people I've shown do, too)
- Workflow: not just the lack of extra dongles but also it keeps me from chasing the endless DAC chase if I realize I'd rather get the most out of Spotify and Google Play than use a lossless format that doesn't have the music discovery workflow I use on my mobile and desktop at work.

So I'm super curious about the Ella. It could be the perfect Planar for me. I'm less concerned with the wireless sound cancelling but you never know what'll happen when reviews and demo units start hitting. It'll take a lot to separate me from $700 for a headphone upgrade when I do love my current cans. I do tend to go crazy on my hobbies and have $15k of guitar stuff so maybe I'll end up with both.

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #34 of 327
I completely agree. They're trailblazing. They're doing things that no one else has thought about doing. Even if the Ella's turn out to be awesome, I may still want the Satellite's because they would serve a different purpose. Plus, I love that Blue never loses sight of what matters most...which is the SOUND. Unlike Bose, who wanted to cancel out noise and hopefully sound ok, Blue wants the headphones to sound fantastic first and THEN also be able to block out noise. And doesn't that just make sense?

Here's to Blue :beers:

Yes they are! 

Yeah it does............Bose's QC35 was supposed to be the MASTER at ANC headphones (for both ANC & sound), but then the Sony MDR-1000X came along a few mos ago, and a lot of ppl are saying it sounds better than the QC35. It's VERY likely though that the Blue Satellite will take the crown for itself if Blue's approach pans out. 

Cheers brotha!! lol 
beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #35 of 327
First post here: I'm so excited for the Ella. After falling in love with my MoFi, I started wondering what else is out there and looked at all of the options. I was leaning towards maybe a dedicated amp/DAC or DAP style setup with some Planars but really wasn't into spending that much when I love the Blue so much.

After even more searching, I realized the MoFi is essentially my ideal set of non-summit headphones. A lot of reviews compared the set to the OppoPM3, HE400 and Black Dogs - which is weird because they're dynamic. After a break-in period, I found the MoFi incredibly comfortable. I'm not sure if I'd go for the wireless satellite because the current design is so good at isolation that it's almost/practically noise Cancelling.

I think, for me, they're really hitting the money in terms of what I actually want in headphones:
- Inspirational and detailed sound
- Versatility: ON+ for edm/bass/pop/rap, ON for rock/jazz/blues/classical
- Tank like Build
- Amp on board (like the Cipher, in terms of portability)
- Looks (I like them and people I've shown do, too)
- Workflow: not just the lack of extra dongles but also it keeps me from chasing the endless DAC chase if I realize I'd rather get the most out of Spotify and Google Play than use a lossless format that doesn't have the music discovery workflow I use on my mobile and desktop at work.

So I'm super curious about the Ella. It could be the perfect Planar for me. I'm less concerned with the wireless sound cancelling but you never know what'll happen when reviews and demo units start hitting. It'll take a lot to separate me from $700 for a headphone upgrade when I do love my current cans. I do tend to go crazy on my hobbies and have $15k of guitar stuff so maybe I'll end up with both.

That's cool that you found it comfortable. I only tried the Lola and I found it comfortable too. 

The endless DAC chase...........a solid DAC will make EVERYTHING sound better, even mp3s and streamed mp3s with that. So you may wanna reconsider that. There are phones coming out that have a great DAC in them already, like the LG V20 and HTC 10, and soon the V30 and 11 will sound even better I'm sure. I compared my cousin's V20's DAC quality to my $300 Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC, and we both couldn't tell the difference, and we of course both agree too that the DAC makes a noticeable improvement to ALL music played, not just lossless. If you don't want to buy those phones, you can just get something tiny enough to be mistaken to be part of the cable like the Audioquest DragonFly Black v1.5 or Red v1.5. Their size is tiny but they are very well-rated (Black and Red reviews). 

Also, I've and others have compared my Oppo to $600 amp/DAC devices and couldn't tell a difference, so to me, $300 is PLENTY for an amp/DAC, and at least the Red costs even less and some even say it's better than my Oppo. I can't comment on that cuz I've only tried out the Black, and it was pretty solid from what I remember. 

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #36 of 327
Yes they are! 

Yeah it does............Bose's QC35 was supposed to be the MASTER at ANC headphones (for both ANC & sound), but then the Sony MDR-1000X came along a few mos ago, and a lot of ppl are saying it sounds better than the QC35. It's VERY likely though that the Blue Satellite will take the crown for itself if Blue's approach pans out. 

Cheers brotha!! lol :beerchug:

I hope you're right about the Satellites. Blue needs to get more love than they do.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #41 of 327
What do you guys (akg, shure, etc.) think of this "quick review" video?? 

Sounds like Blue made some changes based on customer suggestions to the EQ of the Sadie. AKG, when he says trebles are smoother & EXTENDED (vs. the MoFi, which is what the Sadie is the "sequel" to), as well as mids being smoother.......does that sound to YOU like the changes I was saying they needed to make in my "AKG K553 vs. Blue Lola" review?? What do you think?? If they did, then wow, I suddenly am an even BIGGER fan of Blue now! lol Lemme know. 

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #42 of 327
  What do you guys (akg, shure, etc.) think of this "quick review" video?? 

Sounds like Blue made some changes based on customer suggestions to the EQ of the Sadie. AKG, when he says trebles are smoother & EXTENDED (vs. the MoFi, which is what the Sadie is the "sequel" to), as well as mids being smoother.......does that sound to YOU like the changes I was saying they needed to make in my "AKG K553 vs. Blue Lola" review?? What do you think?? If they did, then wow, I suddenly am an even BIGGER fan of Blue now! lol Lemme know. 

I generally don't like average consumer review companies like cnet, engadget, mashable, etc. But this SPECIFIC dude is really great and he knows what he is talking about. I have seen his coverage on speakers and amps. $700 for the ellas is insane if you ask me.... I never buy a headphone when it first comes out because paying the full premium is something I'd rather not do lol. I actually never paid $700 for any headphone in my life, maybe I'm just tired of so many headphones that I'd rather spend $700 on speakers lol, but that price honestly surprised me coming from blue. Definitely going to still keep my eyes on the satellite... I need an ANC headphone but I don't like bose, and the sonys are v shaped.... I have high hopes mayn

Smoother treble really doesn't make much sense to me since the mofis don't seem to have any sharp treble peaks or anything, smoother mids never makes sense to me because I never found mids to be fatiguing at all in any headphone. By smoother and more extended, it could possibly mean the dips above 10k are smaller, and the overall treble is more linear. The original mofis have a major 7-8khz dip that affects air so I hope they fixed it with the new headphones

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #43 of 327
  I generally don't like average consumer review companies like cnet, engadget, mashable, etc. But this SPECIFIC dude is really great and he knows what he is talking about. I have seen his coverage on speakers and amps. $700 for the ellas is insane if you ask me.... I never buy a headphone when it first comes out because paying the full premium is something I'd rather not do lol. I actually never paid $700 for any headphone in my life, maybe I'm just tired of so many headphones that I'd rather spend $700 on speakers lol, but that price honestly surprised me coming from blue. Definitely going to still keep my eyes on the satellite... I need an ANC headphone but I don't like bose, and the sonys are v shaped.... I have high hopes mayn

Smoother treble really doesn't make much sense to me since the mofis don't seem to have any sharp treble peaks or anything, smoother mids never makes sense to me because I never found mids to be fatiguing at all. By smoother and more extended, it could possibly mean the dips above 10k are smaller, and the overall treble is more linear. The original mofis have a major 7-8khz dip that affects air so I hope they fixed it with the new headphones

I agree, but yeah this guy seems pretty cool. 

Yeah the price is high but they are PMs WITH an amp so I'm not that SHOCKED, but $500-$600 would've been a bit more reasonable. Yeah you should..........the Satellite seem to have a TON of potential if you ask me. 

Ok, not sure I understood anything you said in the 2nd paragraph LOL, so let's try this again. Do YOU think they fixed the issues with treble (I don't THINK there were any issues with the mids since my main issue with the Lola was not enough "sparkle" in the highs) or no, based on what he said? (Thanks in advance!)

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #44 of 327
I agree, but yeah this guy seems pretty cool. 

Yeah the price is high but they are PMs WITH an amp so I'm not that SHOCKED, but $500-$600 would've been a bit more reasonable. Yeah you should..........the Satellite seem to have a TON of potential if you ask me. 

Ok, not sure I understood anything you said in the 2nd paragraph LOL, so let's try this again. Do YOU think they fixed the issues with treble (I don't THINK there were any issues with the mids since my main issue with the Lola was not enough "sparkle" in the highs) or no, based on what he said? (Thanks in advance!)

In terms of price, don't forget that these are planar magnetic drivers, too. Remember the P9's retail for $900 and they're still dynamic drivers and do not have a built in amp.

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #45 of 327
In terms of price, don't forget that these are planar magnetic drivers, too. Remember the P9's retail for $900 and they're still dynamic drivers and do not have a built in amp.

Yeah exactly. I know the Oppo PM-3 PM headphones I used to own were like $399, and they had no built-in amp either, so I guess PMs are always gonna be more. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back