Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Jul 17, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #3,631 of 6,129
From graphs the BLON isn't bright in the higher treble, actually it is pretty rolled off for those higher frequencies IMHO (See Crinacle's graph below, 8 kHz area is a resonance peak). I have a feeling what you are experiencing could be a boosted upper mids area (around the 2 - 5 kHz areas). I do find that area a bit hot especially with higher volumes (fletcher munson curve), much like some other IEMs tuned to follow the harmanish curves.

If it is indeed an upper mids harshness issue, this could possibly be fixed by a few ways, YMMV:
1) Use micropore mod (cover the nozzle of the BLON with a 3M micropore tape, cover 80% and not the whole nozzle).
2) EQ the offending frequencies down.
3) Using narrower bore eartips eg spinfit CP100 which boosts the bass and hence the ears perceive the entire frequency spectrum to be less harsh in the upper mids.
4) I don't think you are having a eartip fit issue since you can hear the bass quite well, but perhaps try using various foam/silicone eartips, they do change the sound signature, so that might just tweak the sound to your preference.
5) Play it at softer volumes (fletcher munson curve) - at higher volumes, sound is perceived by ears to be more V shaped. At lower volumes it is perceived to be more U shaped with lesser bass/treble.
Thank you for the post.

I am enjoying the Blons, no doubt. They are very vibrant and crystal clear. I'm listening to Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert now and the sound of the piano keys is delicious. Three dimensional.

I have eq-ed the sound and like what I'm hearing. I didn't really bother with the 20khz because at my age, people can't hear that high.
2020-07-17 04_04_05-Mike Mainieri - [Northern Light #01] Nature Boy  [foobar2000].jpg

This is a VERY unusual eq setting for me.

I usually go for the smile eq like this:
HDYxG.png

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #3,632 of 6,129
Thank you for the post.

I am enjoying the Blons, no doubt. They are very vibrant and crystal clear. I'm listening to Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert now and the sound of the piano keys is delicious. Three dimensional.

I have eq-ed the sound and like what I'm hearing. I didn't really bother with the 20khz because at my age, people can't hear that high.

This is a VERY unusual eq setting for me.

I usually go for the smile eq like this:
HDYxG.png
Mine anyway roll off HARD at 14kHz, so I don't think it'd matter in this case anyway.

Edit: Also where do I get that equalizer?

Jul 17, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #3,634 of 6,129
1E392159-7564-4682-883B-1FF4457FCDE0.jpeg5801226C-DD16-471B-B05D-537A5C6F624A.jpeg

Just received the new NICEHCK pure silver litz cable.
I like how it looks and it is very comfortable.
My ear tells me Blon’s bass tightened, but it could be easily because I am running it balanced out through 9038s instead of my iphone 3.5mm out.
Im buying that cable during the next big sale....that looks damn nice. Does it feel like the braids will untangle itself over time? Some of my cables (EA) have untangled just a bit...

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #3,635 of 6,129
Im buying that cable during the next big sale....that looks damn nice. Does it feel like the braids will untangle itself over time? Some of my cables (EA) have untangled just a bit...

No I think they are really nice and tightly braided so I wouldn’t worry. I feel like I am wearing a necklace with these, so bling bling lol

Jul 17, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #3,637 of 6,129
On the NICEHCK 16 core copper cable for the BL03 the writing L and R has to be inside of the earphones or outside? I thought something was wrong.
Easiest way to check to check is via an app such as earphones test. It has a channel tester. Or using eq left right channel dial in Poweramp.

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #3,638 of 6,129
So after 1 month or so of using the BL-03. I found that I really like the bass and mids performance, but the treble is kinda all over the place, spiking at 4kHz-6kHz, then at 8-9kHz, then a smaller 13kHz before rolling off at 14.5kHz. Dekoni Bulletz flattens the spikes although at the cost of making them sound dark overall, still probably the lesser of 2 evils if you ask me. I wonder what's as close as I can get in a silicone eartip. I also removed the mesh because it moistens very quickly but I imagine it's also why it spikes with no name eartips. I'm guessing it would be possible to poke a hole in the middle of the mesh, but what tool I use for this?

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #3,641 of 6,129
I wonder if. Would someone pay $60 for a BL-03 that has a tripowin zonie and customizable nozzles and filters?

Edit: I mentioned not too long ago Crinacle failed to measure flat from 400Hz-1kHz. Now I noticed he showcases it with stock cables AND eartips. Who knows maybe no one has pointed this out because I now look like Captain Obvious doing so. But I'm far too interested in this elephant in the room not to.

And yes I know I bring Crinacle too much here but I wonder is the flat 400Hz-1kHz response that others measure that he doesn't maybe comes from having an aftermarket cable and possibly aftermarket eartips too?

I bring this up because I don't think I've ever seen direct comparisons of different BL-03 setups with measurements including using the stock cable vs an aftermarket one with a generic 2 pin connector. And of course I just can't help but be interested in it since even though in the end, the users and only the users can decide what they like... Can't hurt backing your opinions with numbers and/or blind test wherever possible. Can it?

Edit 2: I can only wonder how many IEMs got shafted by him because he only reviews the out of box experience while neglecting the rest of their potential. I'm almost sure at this point the HA-FD01 would have gotten shafted by him if he didn't review the HA-FDX1 first because he's not gonna care about a micropore tape mod. But then again I am constantly reminding myself these are all opinions after all. I only wish more reviewers reviewed potential as well as the out of box experience. So they'd cover first time buyers and veteran audiophiles in one go.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #3,642 of 6,129
I bring this up because I don't think I've ever seen direct comparisons of different BL-03 setups with measurements including using the stock cable vs an aftermarket one with a generic 2 pin connector. And of course I just can't help but be interested in it since even though in the end, the users and only the users can decide what they like... Can't hurt backing your opinions with numbers and/or blind test wherever possible. Can it?

Edit 2: I can only wonder how many IEMs got shafted by him because he only reviews the out of box experience while neglecting the rest of their potential. I'm almost sure at this point the HA-FD01 would have gotten shafted by him if he didn't review the HA-FDX1 first because he's not gonna care about a micropore tape mod. But then again I am constantly reminding myself these are all opinions after all. I only wish more reviewers reviewed potential as well as the out of box experience. So they'd cover first time buyers and veteran audiophiles in one go.

It was the first thing I noticed in his review, and yet 'nobody' seems to be using BL03s as they come out of the box and 'everybody' is recommending changing cables and tips (and it is a very sound recommendation). There is a general lack of standards of how reviews should be conducted, controversies around what affects the sound and what doesn't (burn-in etc.), it is all mostly subjective anyway (except graphs), you get unit variations, music genres played can affect how you hear things and volume as well - the list of variables goes on and on. After reading several reviews you get some kind of a picture but taking all of that into account it is a miracle that they are of any use to us at all!

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #3,644 of 6,129
These are the best earphones I have ever heard with the 4.4mm Moon Audio black dragon cable and Final tips. Hands down.

edit: i’m not sure the statement above is still true for me. listening to my Oriolus Reborn w my ZX507 was quite an experience yesterday. as far as technicalities the Oriolus has the Blon beat, but the Blon really has a special tuning and performance

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #3,645 of 6,129
So I overthought it yet again. I cut the air intake covering portion of the stock cable with SCISSORS! so the hole to let air into the BL-03 is much bigger now. Well I already ordered the Tripowin Zonie this'll only be useful to me until they arrive, but thought I'd just share this.

...Now if only I could make up my mind about which tips order first. Altough I wonder if the cut is worthy of me taking pictures of it by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back