Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Jul 12, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #3,586 of 6,129
Why is there so much hate towards the blon-05?

I have the 03 and 05 and I like em both. I don't think the 05 is shouty. I even prefer the 05 a little above the 03 in a lot of genres as they have a little more sparkle in the highs.

Prefer the 03 in psy trance and other bass driven dance music.

But I don't own high end iems so I might lack experience.

Think they are both great iems for the price
15945709961332522425497835154192.jpg

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #3,588 of 6,129
Who says there’s hate? I like mine.
Hate is a bit strong. I think that people were mostly dissapointed in that it wasnt a blon 03 with a cleaner bass and fit.

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #3,589 of 6,129
Maybe hate was a to strong word, but disappointment and step back is something a read a lot.

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #3,590 of 6,129
Hate is a bit strong. I think that people were mostly dissapointed in that it wasnt a blon 03 with a cleaner bass and fit.

I think that was what the BL03 MK2 is supposed to be, isn’t it?

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #3,591 of 6,129
I think that was what the BL03 MK2 is supposed to be, isn’t it?
True but didnt they suddenly announce the 05 and then information/updates on the 03 mk2 stopped? Well following up after an extremely hyped (and well deserved) iem such as the 03 is no easy task.

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #3,593 of 6,129
All they had to do was fix the damn fit and shell!
I guess that was the main complain lol (fortunately it works for me after o-rings + wide bore tips).

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #3,595 of 6,129
Yeah, testors should work just fine.

Be aware that I did not paint the gold plate. I actually removed the plate and colored in where the gold plate WAS (as indicated here):

502ACEA7-635C-4442-9E3B-E0DD5F481E2C.jpeg

To apply the nail polish, I used the non-sharp end of a fine sewing needle as a ‘brush’, dipping the needle in the nail polish and applying/spreading it 1 drop at a time. This allowed me to precisely control applying the polish only where I wanted it.

Just be very careful not to get any paint down the vent hole. I used a small section of an oring to plug up the hole, which I then pulled out after the paint was dry. The paint won’t stick to the oring, which is why I used it.

If you’re going to paint the actual gold plates (which is what it sounds like you plan to do), then it would be very easy and straightforward compared to my method. Simply remove the gold plates from the shell, spray paint them, and glue them back onto the shell.

Either way you do it, I wish you good luck!

PS - To answer your question about BL05 mods, no I have not done any mods to it yet.

Doesn't it change the vent design therefore the tuning, though?

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #3,596 of 6,129
Like this...longer nozzle and be done with it

No please no, now they fit perfectly with spin fits and they touch the inside of my ear, with a longer nozzle like the p1 or oh1 they will not fit the inside of my ear and be hanging mid air hold on only by the tip and cable.

Mabey the should make interchangeable nozzle so any can pick their own size like tips

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #3,597 of 6,129
Doesn't it change the vent design therefore the tuning, though?

No, the rear vent remains unchanged (the rear vent is built into the IEM body itself).

The gold piece was only a decorative cover. There was a cutout for the rear vent built into the gold cover. So removing the gold cover didn’t change the rear vent in any way.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #3,598 of 6,129
I've been doing some experimentation with blocking the vents, it makes the o5 sound more like the 03, but introduces driver flex. I am OK with this. Thinking of cracking the super glue out again. Bass slam comes back on my favourite album, seventeen seconds. And upper mids are back to normal. I'm a happy boy again.

Jul 12, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #3,599 of 6,129
No please no, now they fit perfectly with spin fits and they touch the inside of my ear, with a longer nozzle like the p1 or oh1 they will not fit the inside of my ear and be hanging mid air hold on only by the tip and cable.

Mabey the should make interchangeable nozzle so any can pick their own size like tips

Yeah, they could have set it up like the KZ ED9, BGVP DMG, some LZs, etc. Thread the IEM shell, and include a few different nozzles that just screw in.

The different nozzles wouldn’t have to be tuning filters, just simply different lengths to help customize the fit for each person.

Jul 12, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #3,600 of 6,129
I've been doing some experimentation with blocking the vents, it makes the o5 sound more like the 03, but introduces driver flex. I am OK with this. Thinking of cracking the super glue out again. Bass slam comes back on my favourite album, seventeen seconds. And upper mids are back to normal. I'm a happy boy again.

Care to share details of your mods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back