Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Jan 7, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #2,146 of 6,129
I received Blon bl-30 the hype finally got to me.
I'll compare them to the other iem I have which's the Tin T2, I think they're more fun, much more bass, less details but they sound better playing not strictly Instrumental/Classical.
I'll use the word fun again which they're but they aren't as detailed, I feel like the bass is unnaturally boosted and it makes music feel bloated while killing details imho.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #2,147 of 6,129
Jan 7, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #2,148 of 6,129
I have the Trinity Audio Phantom Master 4 IEMs. Sadly they pickup background static noise with my new laptop so I am looking to get another pair of IEMs that match the (sub) bass, detail and balance of those IEMs.
Can anyone comment on those vs these?

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #2,152 of 6,129
Laptops have extremely dirty noise floors. Why are you blaming the IEMs?

Because two other pairs of IEMs I tested did not pickup the static. Granted, they were not of the same caliber. I want to use the laptop without an external DAC...

You are wasting the potential of a good IEM by simply using the output from the onboard DAC/Amp on your laptop. I have a very expensive laptop with "audio by Bang and Olufsen". The onboard speakers and the headphone out are total garbage - headphone out has high noise floor, high channel crosstalk, and subject to EM interference from other processes going on in the motherboard. It's the same (but not quite as bad) for my desktop rig, and that has the latest Realtek Audio ALC1220 audio onboard.

If you want high quality sound, you need a high quality source; not just high quality IEMs. I know you don't want the expense or added inconvenience of a DAC, but you are missing out. You might not have heard the noise from the onboard audio on your other IEMs because they have higher impedance. Do yourself a favor and borrow an inexpensive gumstick or desktop DAC from someone and do a comparison. You will probably be shocked at the difference. $100 for a decent mobile DAC/amp is an essential purchase IMHO.

~ Jon

PS @olivierhacking , Also, as many have commented, the BL-03 need amping to show their best, even in spite of what the impedance spec might suggest, so you may be disappointed in these without an external DAC/Amp to drive them.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #2,154 of 6,129
Excellent explanation! Never ever trust audio outputs on PCs or PC laptops. 9 times out of 10 they are horrible.

20 years in IT, and the only audiophile-worthy sound I’ve ever heard out of a laptop or desktop (other than a USB DAC) were on desktops with dedicated high end sound cards.

As you said, the onboard output? Fuggetaboutit!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #2,155 of 6,129
My laptop (some MSI model that has a hi-res audio sticker, hilariously, and an unspecified ESS dac) has fine onboard audio and will ::gasp:: happily drive full-size planar headphones. ; ) Although it's overpowered for IEMs.

But yeah, most onboard audio is not good. That being said, there's nothing conceptually wrong with picking up a beater pair of earphones that you don't need to fuss about what you plug them into. Unfortunately, it's hard to say for sure what will or will not work well on somebody else's known-finicky setup, so I dunno if I would recommend the BL03 for this @olivierhacking's specific case or not.

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #2,156 of 6,129
I have the Trinity Audio Phantom Master 4 IEMs. Sadly they pickup background static noise with my new laptop so I am looking to get another pair of IEMs that match the (sub) bass, detail and balance of those IEMs.
Can anyone comment on those vs these?
Seems like you like Bob's tuning https://imracoustics.com/

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #2,157 of 6,129
My laptop (some MSI model that has a hi-res audio sticker, hilariously, and an unspecified ESS dac) has fine onboard audio and will ::gasp:: happily drive full-size planar headphones. ; ) Although it's overpowered for IEMs.

But yeah, most onboard audio is not good. That being said, there's nothing conceptually wrong with picking up a beater pair of earphones that you don't need to fuss about what you plug them into. Unfortunately, it's hard to say for sure what will or will not work well on somebody else's known-finicky setup, so I dunno if I would recommend the BL03 for this @olivierhacking's specific case or not.

Yeah no. The BL03 is definitely not a beater that doesn't care what it's plugged into. It hates phones, I wouldn't imagine onboard sound to be any better.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #2,158 of 6,129
Yeah no. The BL03 is definitely not a beater that doesn't care what it's plugged into. It hates phones, I wouldn't imagine onboard sound to be any better.

I no longer have a phone with an audio jack (RIP phones you can plug headphones into) but do not find the BL03 to be unusually hard to drive. I'm a big fan of amps and will always use them by preference, though. And I do have genuinely hard to drive IEMs to compare to.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #2,159 of 6,129
I no longer have a phone with an audio jack (RIP phones you can plug headphones into) but do not find the BL03 to be unusually hard to drive. I'm a big fan of amps and will always use them by preference, though. And I do have genuinely hard to drive IEMs to compare to.

Well, I can drive the BL-03 from my recent model Sony phone, but when I connected to balanced output on the ES100, I noticed a major improvement. If I'm being honest though, I don't know whether that is due to the increased voltage or from switching to balanced. I should compare phone output to unbalanced output on the ES100 and on my DX3Pro for a fair comparison.

I'm also repeating what has been said by others in this thread, that the BL-03 improves significantly with more power. People have said that the bass, especially, improved or "tightens up" with amping.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #2,160 of 6,129
Well, I can drive the BL-03 from my recent model Sony phone, but when I connected to balanced output on the ES100, I noticed a major improvement. If I'm being honest though, I don't know whether that is due to the increased voltage or from switching to balanced. I should compare phone output to unbalanced output on the ES100 and on my DX3Pro for a fair comparison.

I'm also repeating what has been said by others in this thread, that the BL-03 improves significantly with more power. People have said that the bass, especially, improved or "tightens up" with amping.

The bass does improve slightly with increased power -- comparing, say, single-ended ES100 output to balanced ES100 output. But not dramatically, in my experience. And this is not specific to the BL03, it's common with dynamics.

Anyway, if you have amps, use them; I certainly do. (I love my portable amps). But I think the power requirements of the BL03 are often overstated, compared to actually hard to drive IEMs like the Advanced GT3 Superbass, source-picky IEMs like the BQEYZ Spring 1, or planar sets. I think power/source matching the BL03 is of relatively low concern, especially compared to getting tips and cable that enable a good fit.

If the source is actively bad, the BL03 will not make it sound good, but at the same time I don't think it's such a revealing IEM that it will exacerbate it. But I don't listen with really bad sources, so maybe I'm wrong about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back