Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Nov 16, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #1,156 of 6,129
I just cut my own ring from an inner tube of a silicone tip and extended the tips by turning them inside out.

FkudHfw.jpg
Inside out! Interesting idea. I'll try that next.

Nov 16, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #1,157 of 6,129
Nov 16, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #1,158 of 6,129
I just cut my own ring from an inner tube of a silicone tip and extended the tips by turning them inside out.

FkudHfw.jpg

Exactly. Did just that with a sharp stanley knife (we call it that in the UK) and made a few for both my 03's. It's the simplest fix in the universe. Now I get a good depth and seal and I am amazed every time I listen through the Blon 03s.

Nov 16, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #1,159 of 6,129
This is not news, but another endorsement for adding a mechanical keyboard O-ring at the botttom of the nozzle of the BLON BL-03s. That O-ring essentially makes the tip longer, and the fit is massively improved. I am trying that with foam tips I hated on the BLONs and it's like night and day. The O-rings I'm using are on the thicker side, probably 3mm, compared to the more common thinner ones.

Until China Post delivers a dozen alternative eartip options I ordered out of frustration this week, these will do just fine.
What sizes are good for them?

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #1,160 of 6,129
I posted the link to the Flip Tips earlier today in another thread... the genius behind this is of course @Slater

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flip-tips-prepare-to-have-your-mind-blown.906357/
I just added Slater's "Flip Tips" to the TRN 5BA to effectively extend the nozzles...I found the bass a bit on the strong side. The "flippies" thinned the bass out, therefore added clarity, and created an overall leaner sound. That worked well for me with the Bon BL-03 already...not bloated bass here either.

We learn: tips change the sound more effectively and much more cheaply than cables.

Nov 16, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #1,161 of 6,129
Regarding Cardinal fit, did I read it’s similar to the large (for my ear) T800 and not the ZS10 Pro ? Would Cardinal isolation be effective on stage?

IMG_2800 - Edited.jpg Placed accordingly to size from left to right. ZS10pro, Blon Cardinal, T800. I hope this help! Isolation wise I experience that the T800 is a slightly better than the Cardinal. Cardinal isolation effective on stage? I don't believe it wouldn't be a satisfying to use it that way! But again, depends on what you are doing on the stage :)

Nov 16, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #1,163 of 6,129
Regarding Cardinal fit, did I read it’s similar to the large (for my ear) T800 and not the ZS10 Pro ? Would Cardinal isolation be effective on stage?

The T800 and Cardinal are around the same size, give and take a few mm. There's a protrusion at the concha area, which some folks will probably find uncomfortable (I remembered u had some issues with the T800 fit previously, and I would think the Cardinal would have the same issues).

From estimates, the T800 is my best isolating IEM, around 30 dB isolation. Cardinal gives about 15 dB thereabouts, not the best, about equivalent to the ZS10 Pro's isolation, though it is better than the BLON BL-03 for sure. Though, I would not recommend the Cardinal for stage monitoring as it has the inherent weaknesses of single DD sets like poorer details/clarity/instrument separation compared to multi BA/hybrids. When there is complex musical arrangements or multiple instruments going on at the same time, these single DDs won't fare as well as the latter, and would smear a bit. But it is very enjoyable for normal music listening.

Nov 16, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #1,164 of 6,129

all BAs are still the most ideal IEMs for stage/ really noisy scenarios,well at least that's my personal preference. dynamics and other more open vented IEMs/earbuds for home/studio uses

Nov 16, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #1,165 of 6,129
The T800 and Cardinal are around the same size, give and take a few mm. There's a protrusion at the concha area, which some folks will probably find uncomfortable (I remembered u had some issues with the T800 fit previously, and I would think the Cardinal would have the same issues).

From estimates, the T800 is my best isolating IEM, around 30 dB isolation. Cardinal gives about 15 dB thereabouts, not the best, about equivalent to the ZS10 Pro's isolation, though it is better than the BLON BL-03 for sure. Though, I would not recommend the Cardinal for stage monitoring as it has the inherent weaknesses of single DD sets like poorer details/clarity/instrument separation compared to multi BA/hybrids. When there is complex musical arrangements or multiple instruments going on at the same time, these single DDs won't fare as well as the latter, and would smear a bit. But it is very enjoyable for normal music listening.

What if your in a 3 piece kazoo metal band? :p

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #1,170 of 6,129
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back