Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Nov 17, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #1,188 of 6,129
Does anyone know anything about the 10mm Carbon Diaphragm Dynamic Driver on the BL-03? Did Blon manufacture this driver themselves or which brand is it?

I'm curious how one single driver can outperform the competitors (at same price range) which sometimes have hybrid or multi B.A drivers
In my humble opinion, it's the tuning. The technical ability of the BLONs isn't actually as good as the T2, KXXS, or even my ie80. But when you look at the comparison FR graphs, it's very similar to some other highly rated items. The tuning is so good/enjoyable that people are willing to overlook the other (minor) flaws I think.

upload_2019-11-17_14-23-18.png

Credit to @crinacle

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #1,189 of 6,129
In my humble opinion, it's the tuning. The technical ability of the BLONs isn't actually as good as the T2, KXXS, or even my ie80. But when you look at the comparison FR graphs, it's very similar to some other highly rated items. The tuning is so good/enjoyable that people are willing to overlook the other (minor) flaws I think.

Credit to @crinacle
Thats really interesting. But one thing that made my wonder about the choice of driver is that Tin Hifi chose to abandon their hybrid B.A/D.D setup from the T3 and use a single CNT 10mm Driver for their upgraded model T4. That made me wonder if the choice had more to do with the drivers technical abilities more than just the tuning itself?

Nov 17, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #1,190 of 6,129
Thats really interesting. But one thing that made my wonder about the choice of driver is that Tin Hifi chose to abandon their hybrid B.A/D.D setup from the T3 and use a single CNT 10mm Driver for their upgraded model T4. That made me wonder if the choice had more to do with the drivers technical abilities more than just the tuning itself?

Timbre. BA drivers have a tendency to sound "metallic" and just a little bit "off", especially at ChiFi prices. Dynamic drivers use similar tech to loudspeakers used in clubs, amplified gigs, home audio setups etc etc so sound by definition closer to what we expect.

It is entirely possible that someone who's music tastes come from listening to a brass band live will find the timbre of a BA to be correct, but most of us have been conditioned towards loudspeakers our whole lives.

That's not to say that BA setups don't have their merits - detail retrieval of even a cheap BA far surpasses even the best single DD IEMs for example.

Personally I find the Blon BL03 to be a technically poor but incredibly musical IEM. So much of my gear is better but the Blon is my favourite.

Nov 17, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #1,193 of 6,129
technically poor? from what source are you listening to them? Nokia 3310?

In terms of separation and detail retrieval, the 03 isn't fit to shine the CCA C12's boots. In terms of which I would rather listen to, almost always Blon 03.

Nov 17, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #1,194 of 6,129
Timbre. BA drivers have a tendency to sound "metallic" and just a little bit "off", especially at ChiFi prices. Dynamic drivers use similar tech to loudspeakers used in clubs, amplified gigs, home audio setups etc etc so sound by definition closer to what we expect.

It is entirely possible that someone who's music tastes come from listening to a brass band live will find the timbre of a BA to be correct, but most of us have been conditioned towards loudspeakers our whole lives.

That's not to say that BA setups don't have their merits - detail retrieval of even a cheap BA far surpasses even the best single DD IEMs for example.

Personally I find the Blon BL03 to be a technically poor but incredibly musical IEM. So much of my gear is better but the Blon is my favourite.

Not sure what you have heard but the best DD can certainly keep pace with even brand name armatures as far as detail is concerned.

Also, both types can sound metallic and that can come from a metal housing and/or sound tube and even the cable construction and not need be the driver itself. Belsing and other cheapies did have that esp. in the KZ implementations but you can't label armatures as a whole "tend to sound metallic".

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #1,195 of 6,129

Just arrived home from my Buddhist Centre. Totally agree Timbre.

I have some pretty detailed IEMs but they don't sound so real. The Blon 03 goes in my ear before any other IEM. It sounds so natural and real. Many of my IEMs are now totally redundant.

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #1,196 of 6,129
Just arrived home from my Buddhist Centre. Totally agree Timbre.

I have some pretty detailed IEMs but they don't sound so real. The Blon 03 goes in my ear before any other IEM. It sounds so natural and real. Many of my IEMs are now totally redundant.

Although I do find both my pairs of the Blon 03 detailed enough there is a clarity and totally unveiled sound and rhythm that I find so right, that a couple of my more expensive IEMs and buds cannot even begin to compete with, and in fact they don't even get a chance to come out of their little earphone boxes. They sleep. Viva la Blon. Je t'aime Blon 03.

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #1,198 of 6,129

Credit to @crinacle
Actually BGGAR had mentioned that Blon has tuning almost same as Sony XBA-N3, which is true. Noone expects separation and detail retrieval of a Sony N3 hybrid iem, but at least people can enjoy music without piersing highs or bloated bass for cheap. graph.png

Nov 17, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #1,199 of 6,129
Also, both types can sound metallic and that can come from a metal housing and/or sound tube and even the cable construction and not need be the driver itself. Belsing and other cheapies did have that esp. in the KZ implementations but you can't label armatures as a whole "tend to sound metallic".
I have Westone Um3X - triple BA in plastic housing and i doubt they used belsing armatures in them 10 years ago when i bought it. But as a drummer myself i can assure you that cymbals sound artificial with metallic overtones.

Nov 17, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #1,200 of 6,129
Actually BGGAR had mentioned that Blon has tuning almost same as Sony XBA-N3, which is true. Noone expects separation and detail retrieval of a Sony N3 hybrid iem, but at least people can enjoy music without piersing highs or bloated bass for cheap.
Wow that's even closer. Maybe I'll pick that up as my first hybrid set for comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back