Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Aug 1, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #5,926 of 6,129
I can see why Blon tuned how they did. For the masses, with mesh has that bass bump most people like. I was initially slightly disappointed until I bumped bass back up, but without mesh is a good representation of audiophile tuning. Better technically, but doesn't mean the general public will like it as much.
Without mesh and with cotton is ideal for me. Smooths out the annoying peaks yet keeps the technicalities

Aug 2, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #5,928 of 6,129
I also find the bass muddy. As for now, I was able to tune it down a bit with EQ, but I wonder if the Mesh mod worth a try. Question is:

1. Is the end results of the Mesh mod is basically like tuning the bass down with EQ?
2. This mod seems a bit destructive? can I remove the mesh without completely destroying it? I was wondering if I can just try if I should go with mesh/without, or this is one way process.

Thanks!

Aug 2, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #5,929 of 6,129
I also find the bass muddy. As for now, I was able to tune it down a bit with EQ, but I wonder if the Mesh mod worth a try. Question is:

1. Is the end results of the Mesh mod is basically like tuning the bass down with EQ?
2. This mod seems a bit destructive? can I remove the mesh without completely destroying it? I was wondering if I can just try if I should go with mesh/without, or this is one way process.

Thanks!
1. It will increase the treble but also makes the bass cleaner by it being faster and tighter.

2. You can reverse it as long as you dont ruin the stock mesh. You can "demo" the mod by removing the mesh and try how it sounds "naked", if you like it you can continue and put a regular filter on it or if you dont like it, just put the stock mesh back.

Aug 2, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #5,930 of 6,129
Well, the DQ6 are on the way. I didn't enjoy the bass on the BL-03. I found it lacking when the music is busy. Question is - should I mod it for a faster/tighter bass, or the DQ6 will do that better anyhow and the specific BL-03 bass has it own benefit on specific kind of music genres (so I'll have two profiles).

Also, how can one not ruin the mesh? first time of me doing it, so I'm not sure how to 'pull' it out without damaging it (and put it back on).

Aug 2, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #5,931 of 6,129
Well, the DQ6 are on the way. I didn't enjoy the bass on the BL-03. I found it lacking when the music is busy. Question is - should I mod it for a faster/tighter bass, or the DQ6 will do that better anyhow and the specific BL-03 bass has it own benefit on specific kind of music genres (so I'll have two profiles).

Also, how can one not ruin the mesh? first time of me doing it, so I'm not sure how to 'pull' it out without damaging it (and put it back on).
Check my review for the DQ6 for the comparison with the 03 (mesh mod): https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-dq6.24918/reviews#review-26364

Aug 2, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #5,932 of 6,129
Thank you. So At least on the Bass front, the BL-03 has warmer bass, better rumble and higher punch quality and more bloated bass (with the Mod), but seems that all around the DQ6 has better and tighter bass. So It might not worth fiddling with the Mesh mod. I might just stick with stock, use the BL-03 for Tonality acoustics type of music, and everything bass wise on the DQ6.

Aug 2, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #5,933 of 6,129
Thank you. So At least on the Bass front, the BL-03 has warmer bass, better rumble and higher punch quality and more bloated bass (with the Mod), but seems that all around the DQ6 has better and tighter bass. So It might not worth fiddling with the Mesh mod. I might just stick with stock, use the BL-03 for Tonality acoustics type of music, and everything bass wise on the DQ6.
"better" is subjective and depends on the library. For hip-hop the 03 has better bass but for trance the DQ6 is better.

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #5,934 of 6,129

You can keep the tighter bass with the mesh mod and cut the treble down by stuffing the nozzle with cotton or rolled up dried alcohol swab (personally went for cotton since I needed more uppermids and treble reduction than the alcohol swab provides)

Aug 2, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #5,936 of 6,129
Thanks. So I'll order the Mesh. Hopefully I can extract it without wrecking it :p
It's really difficult to wreck mesh. Use a small sewing needle or a safety pin with light prodding to replace the mesh. In case you wreck it, order a spare Tanchjim or Moondrop mesh it will restore the stock sound

Aug 2, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #5,937 of 6,129
While scanning this topic, I could not find any mention of a good balanced upgrade cable which fits without modification or gap. (Maybe I missed it.)
I do have one of those on my BL-03, but unfortunately I can't remember where I got it. It must have been on aliexpress, but I can't find it in my order history.
I did find this cable for Blon IEMs which appears to be identical (the 2.5 plug and the splitter are the same), except mine has a silver cable and transparent sleeves for the IEM connections. Zooming in shows a rectangular cutout, which is similar to mine. No guarantees though, and the price is a bit steep for me to order one just to check.

Edit:
I think I have found the cable I have been using, which fits the Blon BL-03 and 05s perfectly, on this AE page. The reason I could not find it in my AE order history, was that the page refers to the IEMs themselves, but the cables are there in the options: 3.5, 2.5 and 4.4mm in two colors.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #5,938 of 6,129
1628111996205.png

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #5,939 of 6,129
I think I've finally unlocked the full potential of my Blon-01 using Nicechk C16-3, Generic TRN foam tips w/ spacer mod and Qudelix 5k dac/amp operating at bit-perfect mode via Wasapi exclusive mode on Windows/Musicbee app. It's true what they say about the thing needing ample power to bring that hidden musical technicalities, I think the SQ is above Blon-03 :L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #5,940 of 6,129
I removed the stock mesh on the BL-03 and it definitely changed the sound for me. Treble is just a tiny bit more sparkly. My ears are sensitive to sibilance so I'll probably find a song that's too much for me, but so far they've all been fine. It might be more fatiguing now but we'll see. Listened to some rock songs I had issues with and detail retrieval/instrument separation still weren't handled well. I could hear the cymbals a bit more but they still didn't sound "real" though they were more enjoyable now. Huge improvement on Madeon's tracks though, especially on Dream Dream Dream and Hold Me Just Because. Those two songs were unbearable to listen to on the stock BL-03 for me. I'm so glad I can enjoy them again. :L3000: I'll be sure to buy the mesh that was recommended.

With the mesh mod + Spinfit CP100 would that increase the treble too much or just improve the clarity? I'm also deciding between getting NiceHCK 16, Tripowin Zonie or HiFiHear 16 for the cable. No preformed ear hooks preferably.

Edit:
I wanted to share a cheap sound upgrade for the Blon BL-03.

The stock nozzle mesh is a hybrid ‘sandwich’ of stainless steel mesh stacked on top of a black nylon fabric mesh. If you remove the stock piece and replace it with a normal 4.0mm stainless nozzle mesh, the sound improves.

The first thing you notice after replacing the mesh is how smooth the stock sound was, and was slightly veiled. Replacing the mesh increases the clarity and makes the sound less smeared. Bass becomes clearer and more crisp. Lower treble becomes much less recessed and more balanced in the overall mix. Vocals are improved, and are brought more forward.

A great example is Michael Jackson Billie Jean - the shaker that plays in the right channel throughout the entire song. It is quite recessed on the stock Blon (like it’s 30 feet away, almost like it’s in another room). With the new nozzle mesh it sounds like it’s in the same room, placed about 10 feet away where it is supposed to be with the rest of the percussion set.

I’m not saying the stock Blon sounds bad; quite the contrary. I quite enjoy the stock Blon. But this turns up the clarity a few notches and everything is cleaner sounding, like the difference between cassette vs CD/flac.

You can save the stock mesh on a piece of waxed baking paper or even an unused and clean wax candle. In this way, the mod is totally reversible.

The 4.0mm nozzle mesh can be found on Aliexpress by searching for the term “earphone dust network”, and runs about $1 for 20pcs (ie 10 pairs). That’s $0.10 to upgrade a set of Blons.

804B146A-8AC6-4979-92D9-31B5025552AA.jpeg

This upgrade is nothing new, and many modders use this same cheap upgrade on other earphones that come stock with nylon mesh or stainless/nylon sandwich nozzle screens. I just didn’t realize that the Blons use a hybrid stainless/nylon sandwich nozzle screen. Otherwise, I would have tried the mod a long time ago. In fact, if I had tried this mod earlier, I would not have bought the Urbanfun ISS014. I actually feel that the modded Blon sounds better than the ISS014, which says a lot.

Anyways, enjoy and let me know how you like it if you choose to do this cheap and simple mod.
So I found the same item being sold by a few stores in Shopee Philippines, but I also found another mesh set that's also stainless steel and has 4mm though more expensive.
https://shopee.ph/10-pairs-304-stai...-dust-net-with-tweezers-i.43253829.1398619146

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back