Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Sep 5, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #5,941 of 6,129
The Spinfit CP100 I ordered arrived today. Much better fit on my right ear so the music sounds more balanced in my ears. I can't tell if the sound significantly changed, maybe more boomy bass? I still don't have a mesh filter installed since the one I ordered still hasn't been delivered. I'm not sure if I should still do the alcohol wipe mod as well or just put the new mesh filter. The treble can be a bit much, but only with certain songs (The Japanese House's "Lilo" for example) so I don't know if it's worth the extra effort lol. My remaining issues with the BL-03 now are just the cable and the detail retrieval, not much I can still do about that last one.
008.JPG

Sep 6, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #5,942 of 6,129
My 4.4 balanced cable for Blon has arrived. It fits perfectly and seems to be good quality. I paid €12.68 all in.
I have this one now on the BL-03 and the older 2.5 version on the 05s.

(product page)

Blon balanced cable1.jpg

Sep 7, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #5,943 of 6,129
Finally did the mod that Slater shared before. I don't think I did it well, but I did notice the bass is a little thumpier/more forward? Though I do hear even more nuances to the instruments, especially when I listened to some Paramore songs. Beauty & Essex by the Nationals is a lovely, bassy song but now the bass is sometimes a little too much. Now I'm wondering if I should get a fairly cheap silver cable lol

003.jpg

004.jpg

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #5,944 of 6,129
Finally did the mod that Slater shared before. I don't think I did it well, but I did notice the bass is a little thumpier/more forward? Though I do hear even more nuances to the instruments, especially when I listened to some Paramore songs. Beauty & Essex by the Nationals is a lovely, bassy song but now the bass is sometimes a little too much. Now I'm wondering if I should get a fairly cheap silver cable lol

003.jpg

004.jpg
I bought a cheap nicehck pure silver cable. I have two Blon 03's and left a pure copper cable on the other. The silver cable thinned out the bass. The copper one has more bloat.

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #5,945 of 6,129
Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #5,946 of 6,129
Just found out I did the alcohol pad mod wrong because when I checked it today the strip was touching the mesh filter. That might've been the cause of the boomier bass. Removed the strips altogether and just kept the new mesh filter and it's back to the sound I remember from when I removed the stock mesh. I might fix the treble with different tips instead. Will something like the Radius Deep Mounts be good? I also might get an SPC cable instead.

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #5,947 of 6,129
Can the 03 and 01 be worn cable down (with right and left earpieces switched of course)?

Sep 11, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #5,948 of 6,129
Can the 03 and 01 be worn cable down (with right and left earpieces switched of course)?
03, Yes absolutely can't say about 01 because I don't have that model. Just use tips with a long bore length for a proper seal.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #5,949 of 6,129
03, Yes absolutely can't say about 01 because I don't have that model. Just use tips with a long bore length for a proper seal.
Thanks. I think I'll go for the 03's, they seems to be very popular. What's a good aftermarket cable for it, ideally with an L connector and a mic, not too expensive either?

Also, what can I expect from the 03's compared to my MH755's?

Sep 11, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #5,950 of 6,129

Yes I use my BL-03 cable down. Switch the Left and right earpieces as you say, but keep the same cable orientation.

Wearing it cable down has given me a better fit, but do note that cable down gear will generally have more microphonics when the cables swing and rub the body/shirt. So pros and cons here.

Also you might need to source for an aftermarket 2 pin cable that has a straight termination, rather than an angled one, if you choose to wear the BL-03 cable down.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #5,951 of 6,129
Yes I use my BL-03 cable down. Switch the Left and right earpieces as you say, but keep the same cable orientation.

Wearing it cable down has given me a better fit, but do note that cable down gear will generally have more microphonics when the cables swing and rub the body/shirt. So pros and cons here.

Also you might need to source for an aftermarket 2 pin cable that has a straight termination, rather than an angled one, if you choose to wear the BL-03 cable down.

Thanks. Can I ask you a quick question? I can see in your sig you mention the BL03, the Tanchjim Tanya's and the E3000's. Given they're all of similar price (well, the E3000 is 2x the price but still affordable), how do they compare. I'm specifically looking for a set that has a wide soundstage and is slightly V shaped.

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #5,952 of 6,129
Thanks. Can I ask you a quick question? I can see in your sig you mention the BL03, the Tanchjim Tanya's and the E3000's. Given they're all of similar price (well, the E3000 is 2x the price but still affordable), how do they compare. I'm specifically looking for a set that has a wide soundstage and is slightly V shaped.

Tanchjim Tanya Versus BLON BL-03:
Both sets are harmanish, boasting superb tonality and timbre at the sub $30 USD region. Both sets sound a tinge analoguish and scale with amping, though the Tanchjim Tanya is harder to drive. Both sets also have subpar isolation. Perhaps the BLON BL-03’s midbass is a tinge more bloated.

The Tanchjim Tanya edges it in the timbral accuracy and technicalities department. The BLON BL-03, even though it has detachable cables, has a notoriously bad fit due to the too short nozzles. Hence, most people need to do spacer mods or use aftermarket eartips/cables to secure a better fit.

Thus, the BLON BL-03 may be closer to $40 – 50 USD if aftermarket tips/cables are factored in, whereas the Tanchjim Tanya is ready to go OOTB, no need to mess around or spend more on aftermarket gear for it. As such, I see the Tanchjim Tanya as a marginal upgrade and a better set in terms of investment.

Tanchjim Tanya Versus Final Audio E3000:
The Final Audio E3000 is rather L shaped, featuring a big nebulous midbass and a rolled off treble. The Final Audio E3000 is harder to drive than the Tanchjim Tanya.

The Final Audio E3000 has better technicalities when amped, in the area of soundstage, imaging and instrument separation/layering, though it has a poorer timbral accuracy than the Tanchjim Tanya.

Both sets are bullet shaped and have non detachable cables, but the Final Audio E3000’s cable is worryingly noodle thin, with more microphonics and no strain relief. Isolation is also poorer on the Final Audio E3000.

Final Audio E3000 Versus BLON BL-03:
Both sets have a muddy and slow midbass, with rolled off treble. As you have rightly pointed out, the Final E3000 is almost double the price of the BL-03, but if aftermarket cables and tips are secured to get a better fit for the BL-03, they may actually be around the same price.

BL-03 is more analoguish and has worse technicalities. Final E3000 has worse isolation, but a bigger soundstage. Final E3000 is much harder to drive. BL-03 has fit issues, but has detachable cables, Final E3000 has non detachable cables as above.

The widest of the soundstages among the above 3 is definitely the Final E3000. But you will need an amp with the E3000 due to the low sensitivity. Without amping, the Final E3000 sounds bad.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #5,953 of 6,129
Tanchjim Tanya Versus BLON BL-03:
Both sets are harmanish, boasting superb tonality and timbre at the sub $30 USD region. Both sets sound a tinge analoguish and scale with amping, though the Tanchjim Tanya is harder to drive. Both sets also have subpar isolation. Perhaps the BLON BL-03’s midbass is a tinge more bloated.

The Tanchjim Tanya edges it in the timbral accuracy and technicalities department. The BLON BL-03, even though it has detachable cables, has a notoriously bad fit due to the too short nozzles. Hence, most people need to do spacer mods or use aftermarket eartips/cables to secure a better fit.

Thus, the BLON BL-03 may be closer to $40 – 50 USD if aftermarket tips/cables are factored in, whereas the Tanchjim Tanya is ready to go OOTB, no need to mess around or spend more on aftermarket gear for it. As such, I see the Tanchjim Tanya as a marginal upgrade and a better set in terms of investment.

Tanchjim Tanya Versus Final Audio E3000:
The Final Audio E3000 is rather L shaped, featuring a big nebulous midbass and a rolled off treble. The Final Audio E3000 is harder to drive than the Tanchjim Tanya.

The Final Audio E3000 has better technicalities when amped, in the area of soundstage, imaging and instrument separation/layering, though it has a poorer timbral accuracy than the Tanchjim Tanya.

Both sets are bullet shaped and have non detachable cables, but the Final Audio E3000’s cable is worryingly noodle thin, with more microphonics and no strain relief. Isolation is also poorer on the Final Audio E3000.

Final Audio E3000 Versus BLON BL-03:
Both sets have a muddy and slow midbass, with rolled off treble. As you have rightly pointed out, the Final E3000 is almost double the price of the BL-03, but if aftermarket cables and tips are secured to get a better fit for the BL-03, they may actually be around the same price.

BL-03 is more analoguish and has worse technicalities. Final E3000 has worse isolation, but a bigger soundstage. Final E3000 is much harder to drive. BL-03 has fit issues, but has detachable cables, Final E3000 has non detachable cables as above.

The widest of the soundstages among the above 3 is definitely the Final E3000. But you will need an amp with the E3000 due to the low sensitivity. Without amping, the Final E3000 sounds bad.

Thank you, very detailed. I'll be using this set on the go so won't be using a proper amp. Seems like the BL03's are the best for me. Thanks again for the write up.

Sep 12, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #5,954 of 6,129
Thanks. I think I'll go for the 03's, they seems to be very popular. What's a good aftermarket cable for it, ideally with an L connector and a mic, not too expensive either?

IMO more separation, bigger soundstage, more sparkle in the treble, less coherence, more recessed mids, looser bass, less sub bass.

Sep 12, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #5,955 of 6,129

There are a bunch of cables available on AliExpress. I think the JCAlly one is cheap and should suit your purposes. You can check on their AliExpress store. Just search 2 pin cable with mic. Hope that helps.

Also, I have MH750 and Blon is tad bit better in overall presentation when compared to MH750. And the detachable cable gives better ways to optimise them per your use cases. So all in all BL03 is a better deal over MH series IMO. YMMV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back