Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Jul 28, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #5,911 of 6,129
I'm not sure I still do, but I just wasn't clear what's the benefit on change the gain/q on Oratory frequencies, It was picked as you mentioned just to compensate the graph. So it's kinda like shooting in the dark trying to modify those? wouldn't it be better for a newbie to use a 10 frequencies EQ, and just play with those points? or is it still better to change Oratory modified frequencies?
Ideally if you don't know then you should not shoot in the dark. Oratory's compensation provides at least a reference and Target curve for you to start with

Jul 28, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #5,912 of 6,129
Thank you, It was mentioned to me here, that's that's good curve for metal music. I'll try to adjust some-where near it. Wonder how it will sound. Wish I had a way to show this Curve, and my Curve on a single display, so I can play with my Curve, see how close it get to the reference.

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #5,913 of 6,129
AutoEQ is basically AI led correction curve which is different from what Oratory does. Oratory actually measures the hardware and acoustics of the IEM and compensates the FR accordingly to match Harman curve. You can read more on his subreddit where he discusses this in detail.

I'm not sure if I get your point. But I'm assuming you are asking why Oratory picked certain frequencies. That's because he measures the acoustics of the IEM and then checks what compensations are required to tune the IEM to a particular target curve. Because 99% users aren't going to mod their IEMs. Coming to your second point, yes you can absolutely select and tweak frequencies that bother you provided you know where the exact issue is and you have know-how to correct it.
Aren't a large percentage of the curves in the AutoEQ repository the ones that Oratory measured and posted, himself, made with his measurement equipment? Isn't the AutoEQ repository just a collection of the measurements and compensation curves made by Oratory, Crinnacle, and some others?

Inside of Neutron, for example, I use the Oratory ER4XR profile.

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #5,914 of 6,129
Aren't a large percentage of the curves in the AutoEQ repository the ones that Oratory measured and posted, himself, made with his measurement equipment? Isn't the AutoEQ repository just a collection of the measurements and compensation curves made by Oratory, Crinnacle, and some others?

Inside of Neutron, for example, I use the Oratory ER4XR profile.
As I mentioned, AutoEQ just uses the final FR and creates a EQ which is different from PEQ. AutoEQ uses software optimisation to match the curve generated by the likes of Crinacle, Oratory etc. It is no different than any other EQ presets available in apps like Wavelet or any music player. It doesn't factor in parameters like Pre-gain which is important hitting the specified target curve of a FR.

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #5,915 of 6,129
I'll want to give a try to Larger tip then what i have, most fall out after few times.. any link to buy XL tips ? should be more then 14 mm..

Not foam (don't isolate enough from subway sound..) same for reverse tip (who work fine but isolation fail)
Thx

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #5,916 of 6,129
I'll want to give a try to Larger tip then what i have, most fall out after few times.. any link to buy XL tips ? should be more then 14 mm..

Not foam (don't isolate enough from subway sound..) same for reverse tip (who work fine but isolation fail)
Thx
I think Azla Sedna, JVC Spiral Dot++ on Amazon.jp might help you. Even Epro 01 have a large tip if I'm not wrong.

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #5,917 of 6,129
As I mentioned, AutoEQ just uses the final FR and creates a EQ which is different from PEQ. AutoEQ uses software optimisation to match the curve generated by the likes of Crinacle, Oratory etc. It is no different than any other EQ presets available in apps like Wavelet or any music player. It doesn't factor in parameters like Pre-gain which is important hitting the specified target curve of a FR.
Ah, that's clearer now. I appreciate the explanation!

Jul 30, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #5,918 of 6,129
I think Azla Sedna, JVC Spiral Dot++ on Amazon.jp might help you. Even Epro 01 have a large tip if I'm not wrong.
Azla Sedna and JVC Spiral Dot++ are 14mm for the larger.. or i'am wrong ?

Aug 1, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #5,919 of 6,129
Azla Sedna and JVC Spiral Dot++ are 14mm for the larger.. or i'am wrong ?
They have 14mm one. You can check their product listings

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #5,920 of 6,129
I'm very late to the BL-03 party. Linsoul sent me the BL-03 randomly recently (either I won a giveaway or they are just really awesome), and I gotta say, with a bit of EQ these things are everything everyone has said over time.

People that say it is bloated... in a way it is. I needed to boost around 2kHz, 6kHz, and 16kHz to hit my preferred sound. After I did that though, I'm hearing an exceptionally well tuned IEM that would never be considered $30 in a blind test. They have WAF too since they are somewhat small, look great in Purple, and can fit in my Fiance's ears. This is how you get them off of Skullcandys or Beats, maybe. When she says "I can't hear a difference" when comparing something like a Blon to Skullcandy, I sigh to myself and shake my head.

Plenty of bass, actually too much. I had to cut midbass a bit. Vocals hit the spot though, and nearly everything else too once tuned.

How does the 08 compare to the 03?

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #5,921 of 6,129
I'm very late to the BL-03 party. Linsoul sent me the BL-03 randomly recently (either I won a giveaway or they are just really awesome), and I gotta say, with a bit of EQ these things are everything everyone has said over time.

People that say it is bloated... in a way it is. I needed to boost around 2kHz, 6kHz, and 16kHz to hit my preferred sound. After I did that though, I'm hearing an exceptionally well tuned IEM that would never be considered $30 in a blind test. They have WAF too since they are somewhat small, look great in Purple, and can fit in my Fiance's ears. This is how you get them off of Skullcandys or Beats, maybe. When she says "I can't hear a difference" when comparing something like a Blon to Skullcandy, I sigh to myself and shake my head.

Plenty of bass, actually too much. I had to cut midbass a bit. Vocals hit the spot though, and nearly everything else too once tuned.

You should try the mesh mod.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blo...ressions-thread.916702/page-182#post-15531900
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blo...ressions-thread.916702/page-257#post-15814248

1627829797300.png

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #5,922 of 6,129

08 is all about the midbass with somewhat better extension and better dynamics. It's a fun headphone, but I'm not sure it's worth the price of entry. The bass is fun on electronic tracks but can get excessive at times.

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #5,923 of 6,129
Aug 1, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #5,925 of 6,129
Just tried the mod and it does bring out the highs a lot more. Not really my thing but I could see why people like it as an improvement.
I can see why Blon tuned how they did. For the masses, with mesh has that bass bump most people like. I was initially slightly disappointed until I bumped bass back up, but without mesh is a good representation of audiophile tuning. Better technically, but doesn't mean the general public will like it as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back