Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Jul 25, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #5,896 of 6,129
Isn't Hip hop is also very bass oriented, so why isn't the slower bass an issue there?
Googles "timbre" :) So I assume they will most likely shine in acoustic music where there is a big emphasis on instruments (Folk rock for example), but those instruments doesn't overwhelm all at once (like Classical Music)?
Hip-hop is indeed bass focused but slower and looser bass is actually preferable (not TOO slow/loose though).

Yes, timbre for acoustic (real instruments) music is the nr 1 priority. Going to more specific genres will need different tonalities depending on the music.

For example on this track:

The blon 03 is great for this.

But on this track:

It is a faster and busier track, which the 03 handles worse than the DQ6 due to the technicalities and also due to its slower/looser bass causing more bloat.

Thank you. I will see if I can find a place online that send those and ship internationally.
I bought them from amazon japan.

Jul 25, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #5,897 of 6,129
and modern smartphones with with a dedicated DAC/Amp should be good enough for portable usage.
Yea, I guess it's worth doing the research. Maybe they aren't that big, and the price difference it worth it :wink:

Also, you can build on his PEQ settings by tweaking variables as per your preferences.
Are you using any specific EQ to do that? load Oratory results and tweak from there (easily) and output a PEQ settings players can read? (Neutron Player)?

Jul 25, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #5,898 of 6,129
It is a faster and busier track, which the 03 handles worse than the DQ6 due to the technicalities and also due to its slower/looser bass causing more bloat.
Two Steps from Hell is something I listen too often (they call is "Bombastic Music" here). As a matter of fact, a lot of the Metal I'm listening (called Symphonic Metal) is closely tied to this kinda of music:

So that's probably why the Blon having problem with that :)
(by the way, joined the Discord channel, will be easier to communicate :)

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #5,899 of 6,129
Yea, I guess it's worth doing the research. Maybe they aren't that big, and the price difference it worth it :wink:

Are you using any specific EQ to do that? load Oratory results and tweak from there (easily) and output a PEQ settings players can read? (Neutron Player)?
You can input his values into Neutron's PEQ. And create a profile. And then play around with gain, Q and Frequency to suit your needs. This is Oratory's Harman PEQ settings for BL03. If you listen to streaming apps then there's a Poweramp Equaliser app on playstore that extends PEQ to streaming apps like YT Music and Spotify.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210726-031426_Neutron Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-031426_Neutron Player.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 0
Jul 25, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #5,900 of 6,129
You can input his values into Neutron's PEQ. And create a profile. And then play around with gain, Q and Frequency to suit your needs. This is Oratory's Harman PEQ settings for BL03. If you listen to streaming apps then there's a Poweramp Equaliser app on playstore that extends PEQ to streaming apps like YT Music and Spotify.
I don't know if this was mentioned before, but as of a few months ago, Neutron Player actually syncs with the AutoEQ database, and you can select Oratory's BL-03 EQ correction curve without needing to even use the PEQ. In Neutron its under Settings>Playback>DSP Effect>Frequency Response Correction. It will then let you search for, and save as a preset, most of the correction responses in from AutoEQ, particularly from Oratory's contributions. It's one of the most powerful and underrated features of Neutron Player!

-TKB

Jul 25, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #5,901 of 6,129
Isn't Hip hop is also very bass oriented, so why isn't the slower bass an issue there?
Googles "timbre" :) So I assume they will most likely shine in acoustic music where there is a big emphasis on instruments (Folk rock for example), but those instruments doesn't overwhelm all at once (like Classical Music)?

I would define timbre AKA timbral accuracy as "what lets us tell apart a musical instrument or voice, even when they are hitting the same note at the same fundamental pitch and loudness". In other words, does a violin sound like a real life violin on this headphone/IEM?

Well, for majority of IEMs, in general they come with either multi balanced armature (BA)/hybrids or single DD (dynamic drivers). In general, at the budget-midfi segment, the single DD types (like the BLON BL-03) have excellent timbral accuracy and tonality. The single DD budget types tend to be a bit weaker than the multi BA/hybrids in technicalities (eg instrument separation, imaging, microdetails). The multi BA/hybrids tend to have good technicalties at the budget-midfi segment, but quite a few of them have tonality and timbral accuracy issues, sometimes they have coherency and cross over issues too. Exceptions exist of course.

So there are usually compromises to be made at the budget segment for different driver types, IEMs have their pros and cons, so it kinda depends on the music genres you listen to (vocals/acoustic genres versus synthetic instruments), your preferences etc. Some folks aren't particular about timbre and want outright pure technical performance as their first priority, and vice versa.

BLON BL-03 in addition to having the above weaker technicalities (but good timbral accuracy and tonality), has a boomy midbass that isn't tight. It can't keep up with fast bass movements or complex bass movements. In addition, the fit is a bugbear for lots of folks, necessitating aftermarket eartips/cables sometimes, which can add to the costs. So these are the things that hold back the BLON BL-03 from a giant killer status in my book. Nevertheless, it is very good for slower genres that incorporate a lot of acoustic instruments, and I think it can beat a lot of $100 sets in timbre and tonality.

Jul 26, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #5,902 of 6,129
Thank you. I tried Oratory's both Harman and his own curve, and preferred the Harman. Poweramp Equaliser? will check it out, thank you. Been using Wavelet, but it has no PEQ, just normal EQ. By the way, your settings set 4800 as high shelf but It's peak on Oratory? Peak I think sounds better.

And then play around with gain, Q and Frequency to suit your needs.
Just modifying the Oratory's points?

Neutron Player actually syncs with the AutoEQ database
Yes! I only found out about it like month ago getting a new phone and settings up Neutron settings. That's super cool. Something interesting to mention though - I have Oratory results on manual PEQ I create, and I compared with the Neutron AutoEQ Curve correction - and they don't sound completely the same...

I would define timbre AKA timbral accuracy as "what lets us tell apart a musical instrument or voice, even when they are hitting the same note at the same fundamental pitch and loudness". In other words, does a violin sound like a real life violin on this headphone/IEM?
Yea, they sound great with things like:

But when things getting complex, they starting to sound flat:

So I wonder, how many IEM does one person need? if one listen to a lot of music "genre"? I wonder how complex it get over that, because most players coming with EQ preset per genre, so - I assume single Curve won't fit all music types :)

Jul 26, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #5,903 of 6,129
By the way, with RikudouGoku's help, I was able to bring them into a tone that fill more "Full" to me compared to Oratory Harman (and the Treble are less sharp too):
200 Hz, 0.6Q, -5db (Low Shelf)
3500 Hz, 2Q, 1db (Peak)
10000 Hz 1Q, 2db (High Shelf).

This lowered the Boomy bass, and opened treble and the female vocals. It's not perfect, I still feel that on some sections that bass is Muddy, but I assume that's a limitation of those IEM. I'll be giving DQ6 a try once here :)

Jul 26, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #5,904 of 6,129
So I wonder, how many IEM does one person need? if one listen to a lot of music "genre"? I wonder how complex it get over that, because most players coming with EQ preset per genre, so - I assume single Curve won't fit all music types :)

Well CHIFI IEMs are relatively cheaper than just a few years back, you can probably get 2 - 3 rather good sounding budget sets that tailor to different music preferences/genres, all in for perhaps sub $100 USD. Perhaps consider one for technicalities, and one for good timbre/tonality. Even some TOTL sets can't ace all music genres - for example Sony IER-Z1R which is seen a lot in some top 10 summitFI IEM list, is quite V shaped. It has great bass. But mids are weak. And the fit is atrocious too, for myself it is worse than the BLON BL-03's fit even.

One other option is to get tunable IEMs that can change the sound signature, eg TRI Starsea, LZ A7, LZ A6. So they are more versatile across different music genres.

Jul 26, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #5,906 of 6,129
Well, sounds like I'm on a good spod. BL03 for timbre, and DQ6 for technicalities :)
Question is where do I fit the MEE M6 Pro. If they add any benefit, or I should just gift them to someone. :-8

I once owned the MEE M6 in the past. It was given away ASAP once I had tried my first CHIFI. My 2 cents are I don't think they are competitive in today's context.

Jul 26, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #5,907 of 6,129
Thank you. I tried Oratory's both Harman and his own curve, and preferred the Harman. Poweramp Equaliser? will check it out, thank you. Been using Wavelet, but it has no PEQ, just normal EQ. By the way, your settings set 4800 as high shelf but It's peak on Oratory? Peak I think sounds better.
Yes, Harman sounds better. I was just learning and playing around so I tweaked settings based on the tips I was using back then to sound as per my requirements.
Just modifying the Oratory's points?
Yes, play around with them after learning how and what values mean. Make it sound like you want. Target curves aren't set in stone, so, don't be bogged down by it.

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #5,908 of 6,129
Yes, play around with them after learning how and what values mean. Make it sound like you want. Target curves aren't set in stone, so, don't be bogged down by it.
I mean, I wondered why playing with those specific frequencies mentioned on the Oratory PEQ. For example - he picked 350hz and modified the gain/Q on that region - I assume, to get nearer the Hermen curve. So wouldn't a better thing would me trying to identify what bother me, check the frequencies this area is at, and play around this specific frequency instead? This is obviously much more complex, but isn't just moving the frequences by Oratory points is a bit random? Or am I'm missing something here?

Jul 27, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #5,909 of 6,129
I don't know if this was mentioned before, but as of a few months ago, Neutron Player actually syncs with the AutoEQ database, and you can select Oratory's BL-03 EQ correction curve without needing to even use the PEQ. In Neutron its under Settings>Playback>DSP Effect>Frequency Response Correction. It will then let you search for, and save as a preset, most of the correction responses in from AutoEQ, particularly from Oratory's contributions. It's one of the most powerful and underrated features of Neutron Player!

-TKB
AutoEQ is basically AI led correction curve which is different from what Oratory does. Oratory actually measures the hardware and acoustics of the IEM and compensates the FR accordingly to match Harman curve. You can read more on his subreddit where he discusses this in detail.
I mean, I wondered why playing with those specific frequencies mentioned on the Oratory PEQ. For example - he picked 350hz and modified the gain/Q on that region - I assume, to get nearer the Hermen curve. So wouldn't a better thing would me trying to identify what bother me, check the frequencies this area is at, and play around this specific frequency instead? This is obviously much more complex, but isn't just moving the frequences by Oratory points is a bit random? Or am I'm missing something here?
I'm not sure if I get your point. But I'm assuming you are asking why Oratory picked certain frequencies. That's because he measures the acoustics of the IEM and then checks what compensations are required to tune the IEM to a particular target curve. Because 99% users aren't going to mod their IEMs. Coming to your second point, yes you can absolutely select and tweak frequencies that bother you provided you know where the exact issue is and you have know-how to correct it.

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #5,910 of 6,129
provided you know where the exact issue is and you have know-how to correct it.
I'm not sure I still do, but I just wasn't clear what's the benefit on change the gain/q on Oratory frequencies, It was picked as you mentioned just to compensate the graph. So it's kinda like shooting in the dark trying to modify those? wouldn't it be better for a newbie to use a 10 frequencies EQ, and just play with those points? or is it still better to change Oratory modified frequencies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back