Black Ebony Darth Beyers > Cruella Devil meets Darth Vader
Jun 30, 2007 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 125

Wotan1

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering moving to the dark side
very_evil_smiley.gif
and buy the black ebony darth beyers from Larry. However I noticed that these cans are somehow discriminated on this form. I could not find any pics
frown.gif
. Just a remark that they look black stained and thats why nobody buys them. Also the are $$$ compared to the other woodies. So who has the ebony version and why did you buy them (or not)? Please be so kind to share your thoughts. Pics of your ebonies are very much appreciated.

Edited:

See the resemblance .....

DarthVader.jpg
P1010156.jpg

Cruella-De-Vil-B-web.jpg
P1010146.jpg

Jun 30, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 125
Ebony is an extra cost wood (also harder to cut), and a heavy wood. I specifically remember somebody this past year putting up pics. of their new pair. You need to do a better search.

Jun 30, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 125
Larry does not stain other woods to look like Ebony. He uses true Gaboon Ebony, and it's very expensive. I don't find it too difficult to work with if you've got good tools and a very sharp blade. I tend to like Ebony as an accent, and prefer a wood with more grain pattern as a whole.

Jun 30, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 125
I just prefer some color in my wood. My Amoyonya Burl DB's are just so beautiful. But in any case, they will sound awesome.

Jun 30, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 125
He guys, thanks for your input. I'm officialy moved to the dark side. I ordered the black ebonies. Larry told me that there are 2 others out there. NickKnutson seems to have a pair as well (Nick, please be so kind to post some pics).

Who has the other one?

Jun 30, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 125
I was the one responsible for the "looks like any wood stained black" comment and I was not implying that Larry stains any of his woods. I'm just saying that ebony has no particular character to easily distinguish it from another wood stained black. Many decades ago (well, 1980) I crossed Africa and there were many "ebony" figurines on sale. Almost all of them were fake and short of cutting them open, it was very difficult for the untrained (like me) to tell. Larry certainly uses the real thing.

Jun 30, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #8 of 125
I like Swt61s use of that wood, after seeing it on that phone above that wood would look great accenting imo other darker woods. Just as a question what do you make with it?

As for the phones, I like the look of the ebony wood, if I were to ever buy from larry I would want something with a little more grain myself but it still has a very nice look to it. And im sure even better once in hands, youll just have to stare at a mirror whilst listening.

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 125
Even Gaboon Ebony has some Brown grain to it. A totally Black wood is most likely dyed.
As far as how I use it with other woods, keep your eyes open for the Toronto meet impressions on July 7th. Philodox has some new goodies from my shop and Biggie has a stand I made with lots of Ebony.

Jun 30, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 125
Thanks for posting these. if I'm correct this one is also posted on Larry's website. They realy look cool. They need a little bit of grain, otherwise they run the risk looking plain/plastic/ordinary.

Jun 30, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 125
[size=xx-large]NONE MORE BLACK.[/size]

Jun 30, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #14 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wotan1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting these. if I'm correct this one is also posted on Larry's website. They realy look cool. They need a little bit of grain, otherwise they run the risk looking plain/plastic/ordinary.

I bet those Darths look anything but plastic/ordinary in person. I'd love to have those. Slap some black leather pads on those babies-LOOK OUT!
basshead.gif
eek.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #15 of 125
Hey Guys,

I have the 1st pair. I need to post some pics, as I also have some Cocobolo HHF-1's that are stunning!
Larry does FANTASTIC work! They both look and sound AMAZING!
Mine seem to be a little deeper than the second pair that have been posted...??

Larry, if you see this, would you please post a pic of the pair that you made for me? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back