BitPerfect (was: Audirvana Alternatives)
Aug 1, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #721 of 801
Will you be offering a paid addon for iZotope with your new plug-in system?

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #723 of 801
BitPerfect 1.0.8 has been released. This is a bug fix release that solves a long standing annoyance caused by a bug in iTunes.

Changes are:
  1. Fix looping/skipping caused by iTunes communication problems.
  2. Ready for OSX Mavericks.

As always, contact support@bitperfectsound.com or send me a PM if you have any questions / comments or bug reports.

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #726 of 801
The bit rate display for the currently playing music is wrong for version 1.0.8. It always show 24 even for mp3s and cd ripped files. The sampling rate is correct though.

I use the Centrance hifi-m8 as USB DAC on Macbook Pro Retina running OSX 10.9 Mavericks.

Oct 26, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #728 of 801
I saw a post on the BitPerfect FaceBook page stating that the software drivers for the W4S DAC-2 will not work with OS X Mavericks.  Unfortunately I saw this after going ahead and installing Mavericks along with the new iTunes (it does come with Mavericks if you don't already have it.)

I'm glad I use Carbon Copy Cloner, and I did a complete backup beforehand, so I was able to restore everything without incident.  I just thought I'd post this in case others with similar gear are thinking about Mavericks.  The W4S web site doesn't mention anything about this yet; of course Mavericks was only released a few days ago.  H

Just for those who are curious, the problem I experienced after the temporary upgrade was no sound at all.  I checked Audio-Midi setup, and everything was OK there, but the sound pane in System Preferences would show the mac's line out selected for sound output and not the W4S.  If I changed it, and opened up the pref pane again later, it would have reverted to the other output again; selecting the W4S for sound output just wouldn't hold.

I'm glad I checked the Facebook page.  I'm back on Mountain Lion now, and everything is perfect.  I am using the newest iTunes, though, without incident.  Hopefully Wyred4Sound will have updated drivers soon.

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #729 of 801
You would almost think Mavericks hadn't been freely available for months. . ,

Seriously, I don't understand why companies don't make use of the *very* liberal beta program to do their coding upfront, rather than waiting for release date and acting all surprised their proprietary driver doesn't work :/

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #730 of 801
You would almost think Mavericks hadn't been freely available for months. . ,

Seriously, I don't understand why companies don't make use of the *very* liberal beta program to do their coding upfront, rather than waiting for release date and acting all surprised their proprietary driver doesn't work :/

They maybe aware their drivers don't work during the beta stage of a new OS. But for many reasons they don't upgrade their software on time. Resource, incompatibilties or simply waiting for a needed OS patch to make the new drivers work. Or they just don't see the need/urgency to release the updated drivers on time

It's always like that on every Major OS release. The rule of thumb is do not upgrade until the X.X.1 update is release which usually contains fixes for the rest of the bugs that was left behind during the initial release.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #731 of 801
Picking up this thread with a question about something I see was mentioned earlier. Didn't read through it all, though (there's a lot here). I've using the newest version of BitPerfect, and loving it. But, an option for AU or VST plugins would be fantastic. I tried using AU Lab and Soundflower, but one of them is not working right with my DAC: AU Lab keeps getting overloaded (possibly a Mavericks issue). Just supporting AU or VST plugins would be great so I could plug in Canz3D. Also, writing a review in the App Store right now (5 stars) and including this request.

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #732 of 801
Fidelia allows for up to 3 AU plugins, and their built in headphone processor is very good.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #733 of 801
Yeah...I gave Fidelia a try. While I like it, and their headphone processor is pretty good like you said. Two issues, though: 1. It won't pick up the Canz3D plugin. Seems it only will use official Apple plugins. 2. I prefer not to add a whole new interface to play music. That's why I like BitPerfect so much. It's just a host that runs in the menu bar :)

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #734 of 801
I've been looking into Currawong's list of audiophile players for OS X. I want to keep using iTunes so that directed me towards Amarra but I'm not convinced yet that it is any benefit to me especially for the price... So, I've been reading this thread and have decided that I'm going to give BitPerfect a shot. I really like that it seamlessly integrates into iTunes with minimal UI.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #735 of 801
I like BitPerfect as well; $10.00 for an app that is constantly updated and improved based on customer feedback is an unbelievable deal.  And, it does what all iTunes alternatives should do; load tracks into ram before playing, take control of the mac's audio system, and switch sample rates on the fly.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back