BitPerfect (was: Audirvana Alternatives)
Nov 5, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #751 of 801
  For what seems like forever now, I still use BP more than any other music player/app.

It's the only one I use, I ditched Audirvana (which I only still used occasionally) since they seem to be going in the direction of less iTunes integration and using their own music manager.
I can't see why others fail to integrate DSD within iTunes like BP did with DSD master. Works like a charm!

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #752 of 801
I've personally never experienced any hiccups with BP where as many of the other players (including the beloved Amarra) have tried to do too much or simply not enough. 

DSD might be a personal gripe, they could learn how to do DSD right from JRiver. But I have 0 interest in DSD, personally.

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #753 of 801
I've had Amarra as well, but it's a lot of money for getting the same SQ. Sure, there's a lot of bellls and whistles I don't need. Sold my three licenses.
Ditched Audirvana because recently they went in the other direction by using a dedicated player instead of iTunes integration.
Pure Music I tried ages ago but it has a really awkward interface.

What I need is hassle free 100% iTunes integration and automatic sample rate put into my DAC without restarting iTunes all the time.

Never tried jRiver (Windows only I guess?) but BP's DSD solution is fantastic. Integrates your DSD files into iTunes and lets you play them bac as DSD on a compatible DAC or as Alac on a non compatible device like Mac outputs or Airplay speaker.

My opinion: BP is way too inexpensive. Not saying the developer should ask insane Amarra-like prices but 50 bucks would still be a bargain.
And for that price you can install it on all your Macs.
Same with DSD Master. Even if you don't need it give it a try just out of curiosity if you don't mind spending 30$ on it. A really nice DSD solution and as far as I know the only way to actually get DSD files right into the iTunes library.

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #754 of 801
The biggest problem with all these other players are their own interfaces suck. Again, they could learn a thing or two from JRiver. That is why I have stayed using BP - it's seamless, there's no quirks (IME.) JRiver is now on OS X,
but it's pretty cruddy compared to how well it works on Windows.

That's all putting price aside because no matter what if it catches interest, FOTM, etc people will buy it. 
And we are looking for every single way to improve our listening experience. I still think Amarra has the 
best sound quality out of everything I've tried (which is everything, I think?) but BP to me, is no slouch.

And perhaps even more reason if you do have DSD content. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #755 of 801
Thanks for the tip on Jriver for Mac. I'll download a trial just out of curiosity.
I guess it uses it's own player instead of iTunes though? I really want to keep all my music in iTunes, suits me fine.
It might be interesting to use on my Mac Mini configured as a Media Center just to play ripped Blu-Ray.
That is, if it does actually play Blu-Ray on the Mac.  
For now I use Mac Blu Ray Player since I don't want to convert to MKV.                                             

I tried or had all players as well but to be honest, I can't hear much of a difference between them.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #756 of 801
  Thanks for the tip on Jriver for Mac. I'll download a trial just out of curiosity.
I guess it uses it's own player instead of iTunes though? I really want to keep all my music in iTunes, suits me fine.
It might be interesting to use on my Mac Mini configured as a Media Center just to play ripped Blu-Ray.
That is, if it does actually play Blu-Ray on the Mac.  
For now I use Mac Blu Ray Player since I don't want to convert to MKV.                                             

I tried or had all players as well but to be honest, I can't hear much of a difference between them.

JRiver has a really nicely done GUI and it feels somewhat like Itunes. It's worlds better than Amarra, Audirvana, PM and so on.
And yea, it will paly Blu-Ray - it kind of does everything you'd want.

Amarra offer the most stark differences. I also like Audirvana a bit.
But I'll sacrifice nominal SQ for something more user friendly. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #758 of 801
Sorry dude. I meant on the Windows side of things it's a complete package. For OS X development has been slow and rocky.
The video portion was just added days ago. There is no Blu-ray support and may not be for some time.

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #762 of 801
Nope, can't find that file, not even with the sudo command.
Searched with Pathfinder as well and don't have any com.bitperfectsound.BitPerfect , only com.bitperfectsound.DSDMaster or com.codetronics.BitPerfect
If I find the right file, can't I edit it using Xcode?

Agentsim, another question: could you make a toolbar icon for Dark Mode?

Nov 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #765 of 801
  It wasn't a file to delete, rather a command to run in Terminal.

The next version of BitPerfect will have a dark-mode icon.

I know, I entered it in terminal, it didn't find the file to delete the devicecapabilities from. Not even after entering the sudo command.

Great news on the dark mode icon, I turned to the dark side.  :wink:

Nope.  It's ...  defaults delete com.codetectonics.BitPerfect "BitPerfect_DSDDeviceCapabilities"

... and it's case sensitive.

Yep, as I found out, see my previous post. Thanks for confirming though.
I know it's case sensitive and I simply copy/paste in terminal by the way.  :wink:

Strange thing about my Dac (and this isn't only in BP, I downloaded a trial of some other software to confirm):
My dac is 192/24 + DSD 64&128. As I read, next to the DSD1792A dac chip it has a DSP chip that can upsample to 384/32 (even 48 as I read).
The software does recognize it as a 384/32 dac. You can't play 384 files through it though. It does play DSD 64&128 files.
Dac is Marantz NA-11S1, latest firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back