Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Jul 7, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #2,761 of 4,278
330 + 150 = 480uf of pure poly cap goodness??? Man you went all out
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I donno fishski. The initial change with the caps was really the only significant difference in the amp's sound that I was able to appreciate, besides rolling between JJ 6922 and some old 6dj8 tubes. Other than that, all the other mods haven't yielded any significant results for me. So, as for burn in? I couldn't say. I think it's more likely that the initial wow factor wore off rather than an actual change in the sound. Unlike speakers, which are mechanical and susceptible to an increase/descrease in physical pliability with extended use (ie burn in)... I'm not sure if I believe in electrical components being susceptible to break in.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #2,762 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by chobint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
330 + 150 = 480uf of pure poly cap goodness??? Man you went all out
biggrin.gif

tongue_smile.gif
L3000.gif

0.1uF MKP1839 bypass of the M-Caps, digging it so far. Very nice. Much nicer than the Vitamin Q.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #2,763 of 4,278
Hey guys!
After a couple months listening to my starving student I decided to get back to the bijou I started earlier. Got pretty much everything to finish the build beside the tubes and the output caps. While shopping for an EZ81 I found those Weber Copper Cap. Does someone tried it ?
I'll try to post some pictures of my WIP later.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #2,765 of 4,278
They claim that by not requiring filament power transformer runs cooler... Does it means a 270DAX could feed pretty much all the tubes combinations on a Regal moddded bijou without needing to modify the PSU circuit ?

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #2,766 of 4,278
It uses solid state rectifiers with resistors to simulate the drop of the EZ81 at current loads with a relatively soft ramp up (not as soft as the EZ81). That's why there is no heater.

You can use it. You can probably have a custom one built with less of a voltage drop at max load. It looks to be the same price. A 10V drop at max EZ81 load will probably be better, if you're going this way.

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #2,767 of 4,278
Thanks for your reply. I think I'll order the "real" EZ81 and keep the solid state as a backup solution.

Does anyone could recommend a good output cap? I'm out of budget for MKP's because I'm driving grados. I remember pabbi1 was using photoflash caps... How does it compares to others like JJ's, Rifa's, Nichicon PW's and such ?

There is a pic of what it starts to look like:
IMG_0110.jpg

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #2,768 of 4,278
Looks like you're all prep'd and set to go! Sorry no recommendation for output caps (I still have kit stock) but yes, MKPs silver/oil caps are good choice. I have obbligatos as bypass and quite happy with them.

Whch input/driver tubes do you plan to use? I just got a pair of Bugle Boy 6DJ8s and they sound nice, vocals are most enticing I've heard compared to my other input tubes.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #2,769 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by jERiCOh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your reply. I think I'll order the "real" EZ81 and keep the solid state as a backup solution.

Does anyone could recommend a good output cap? I'm out of budget for MKP's because I'm driving grados. I remember pabbi1 was using photoflash caps... How does it compares to others like JJ's, Rifa's, Nichicon PW's and such ?

That's alot of caps dude. You should be all set. 470uF is good, more if you can. Zout of amp is not 0 neither, which should affect the output cap as well.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #2,770 of 4,278
Jericoh,

I've had good luck with a single 100uF Solen cap at the output, where I use headphones from 100 ohms to 600 ohms. I've also tried a massive 600uF ASC film cap and couldn't discern the difference. I got the latter at $5 a pop as surplus.

If you want to go the single film cap route for the output, you'll probably want at least a 160uF for those 32 ohm Grados. More if you can afford it.

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #2,771 of 4,278
Well for the output caps, I think I'll go for cheap Nichicon PW while leaving some room in the case for a MKP upgrade.
As for the tubes, I'm planning tu use the default Regal mod ECC99/6922. I want that amp to work at first and then later I'll work on improvements.
I will post more pics as the work progress.
popcorn.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #2,772 of 4,278
Photoflash caps are a great sounding low cost solution. Experimenting with other caps is good too, don't feel pressured or boxed in to just one way of building.

Good to hear that the resistors fixed that for you Fishski!

Nice panel work Zkool!

I'm working on a secret project at the moment. Pics when it's done.

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #2,773 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Photoflash caps are a great sounding low cost solution. Experimenting with other caps is good too, don't feel pressured or boxed in to just one way of building.

Good to hear that the resistors fixed that for you Fishski!

Nice panel work Zkool!

I'm working on a secret project at the moment. Pics when it's done.

popcorn.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #2,775 of 4,278
I have almost finished the Dynalo (waiting for encoder for control volume that i broke.....
frown.gif
) and will work again on the balanced Bijou. I received wires from Navship and have almost finished to populate the PCB....
wink.gif
The 2 customized irons are at home, i just have to find time !
ksc75smile.gif

But after reading all the post, i can't wait to listen to it....
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back