Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Feb 3, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #4,231 of 4,278

That's good to know, then.  I still need to get a hold of Jeff Rossel and see what tubes I actually have.  The wiring differences are my final concern for this issue.  I'm wishing there were an easier way to tell (which tubes I actually have). 

Yes, I have an EZ81, as well as the 370DAX, so I should be good to go for a power supply.  

You should be fine on the power supply front. 

The ECC99 is a modern tube from JJ. It would have a big red JJ logo on it. It's based on the 6n6p, but has higher plate resistance. 

If there's no JJ logo, it's probably 6n6p-i or 6n6p-ev, and the only difference there is the heater current iirc. My heater supply is doing just fine with a pair of 6n6p-i at almost an amp each and a pair of 6n1p at 600ma each along with the EZ81. 

6h30-pi was a premium option and i doubt glassjar ever sold any. You would have noticed at $30/tube. 

Your preamp tubes should be clearly marked too, but i don't recall any wiring differences between 6dj8, 6922, 6n1p, or 6n23p -- the 6n23p being the real 6922 clone from russia. CEI even sold them labeled as 6DJ8. The 6n1p just has slightly lower gm and a much hotter filament. 

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #4,232 of 4,278
Thanks for all the help, Eric. I do appreciate it!

First, the input tubes are JAN Philips 6922.  I have another pair of EH 6922s (matched), and another matched pair of JAN Philips 6DJ8.  

AND - I just heard back from Jeff Rossel.  Looks like the variant I have is what I suspected: Russian 6N6P.  They are marked with partial Cyrillic characters, and one is labeled CCCP.  Gotta love that.  From what I have read, these do not really need to be a matched pair.  

Anyway, now I know for sure that the wiring will be using pins 4, 5 and 9 for the heater arrangement. This also means I can use the ECC99 tube as well.  Cool!  I'll have to get a pair of ECC99 for fun.

The rectifier tube I have, is definitely a JJ - red logo and all.  

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #4,233 of 4,278
Edit: Just noticed my Glass Jar kit includes R6 and R9 at 332k, instead of the specified at 348k.  Does this lower resistance help address the issues with using 6N6P tubes and it's affect on the B+ (as noted in this thread)?

Thanks!

Another Edit:  I am assuming it is related to this:

When i was digging around six months or so back i found resistor values to increase the plate current on 6n6p tubes. And 6n1p - which is the combo i am using. I don't think i implemented it yet, and i am not sure where i found those values, but I will look again because i am revamping my beloved old ToasterAmp(tm) Bijou lately. 

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #4,234 of 4,278
The Mundorf Silver In Oil caps arrived today for C3 and C4 on the amplifier boards.  Also, a pair of Mundorf MLytic AG caps for the output on my Ventus, which I hope to rebuild once the Bijou is done.  

Per my previous message I sent a quick email to Jeff, and he confirmed that he does, in fact, have different values than the original BOM.  So the slight change is expected.  I also noticed that he sent 450V 680uF caps for the power supply, too.  Excellent.

Things are coming together.  

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #4,235 of 4,278
Edit: Never mind.  I found what I was looking for in these 283 pages...! RE: power supply and available current using Regal mods.  

Dec 11, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #4,236 of 4,278
Hi,

I have found Bijou a few months ago. I have found the building instructions on cavalliaudio.com. Unfortunately the site has been closed meanwhile, and the instructions were removed. I managed to get the texts from web archives, but I couldn't get the schemantics.
Can someone send me the schemantics, tweaks, anything that can help me build the amp?

Thank you!

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #4,241 of 4,278
Hi everybody,

Looks like we have quite a few electronic gurus here on this forum. I didn't have serious contact with electronic theory/design for about 30 years, therefore I have some problems regarding Bijou design.

I have just ordered parts from Jeff. The kit includes 6N6P tubes (those are cheaper than ECC99). But I noticed, that tube characteristics of 6N6P are a little bit diffrerent than those of ECC99.
With the same grid voltage and the same plate voltage, anode current of 6N6P will be higher. At -2.1V at cathode (determined by three diodes in series), and 120V anode voltage, the current of 6N6P will be about 28mA. At the same conditions, the current of ECC99 will be around 24mA. This is still well within those tubes max specifications, but in case of 6N6P, dissipated power (almost 7W) will be dangerously close to the max power specification of 8W, which may affect lifespan of 6N6P in negative way. Is this a reason, why most people are using ECC99? I am planning to increase cathode bias of my 6N6Ps to 2.9V by adding another diode in series. This should lower the current to 24mA, as I see on the chart.

My second question is why the Regal's mod specifies using only ECC99 in output stage. The output stage is completely separated from input stage, the only connection is for audio signal via capacitors 100nF. Since the modifications are made in input stage, how it can affect working point (DC) of output stage? Does it have something to do with gain?

My last question is what is the role of that electrolytic capacitor C1 10uF? Looks like fixed negative feedback, but I'm not sure. Does it make sense to replace it with film cap?

Maybe these questions were answered already on the forum, so I'd be sorry about duplicating them, but going through those >200 pages is a problem indeed.

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #4,242 of 4,278
Straight from memory so I might be off... I think the reason to use ecc99 together with regals mod is to keep the total current within the PS limits. C1 is futterman feedback, but Im not clear on its purpose.

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #4,244 of 4,278
Yes, I am currently building Bijou. I have already found that page after some long search.
Not quite sure yet if it was worth to start that project though. I'll see (or I should say hear) when it's finished. Certainly, there's some fun in working on a project like that.
But on the other side, you can buy ready made tube headphone amps (on Massdrop for example), which have great reviews, for a price comparable with the price of parts needed to build Bijou.
How those Chinese are able to do this so cheaply, I don't know. Even considering lower cost per unit when something is made in big quantities an low labour cost, It"s still amazing.

Mar 10, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #4,245 of 4,278
The ECC99 is a modern tube from JJ. It would have a big red JJ logo on it. It's based on the 6n6p, but has higher plate resistance.

If there's no JJ logo, it's probably 6n6p-i or 6n6p-ev, and the only difference there is the heater current iirc. My heater supply is doing just fine with a pair of 6n6p-i at almost an amp each and a pair of 6n1p at 600ma each along with the EZ81.

6h30-pi was a premium option and i doubt glassjar ever sold any. You would have noticed at $30/tube.

K501 Respecting the values R katodo, original circuit wiht nos 6n6p 70s (FOTON It has slight improvement. and shooting the price,
6n6p-i or -ir I like less)
6H30p-dr NOS year 76 (now they cost fortunes), for me it is magical and crystal clear (for some perhaps, very analytical, fast ....) 30 $ 6h30p-EB sowtec (EH I read it's the same just gifted pins) they sound just like garbage in this circuit ...... and I can not recommend. (russky 6h30p and -DR 90s or modern ????? but not 30$

6n1p-EB also 70 years, more than all ECC88, E88CC, CCa, 6922 (BOY amperes I have not tried)
heaters I have reserve and Brimar CV5072 ez81, (any EZ81 NOS, I do not perceive differences)

The Regal MOD, did not give me as good sound as my configuration, possibly for the 6N6P, I would prefer to spend my scarce resources in better caps than in ECC99s.
I'll look for a better operating point by testing a diode more than they suggest for 6H6. If I do not go to the limit, or go down to the 220V circuit, they really run very hot!

Best regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back