Biggest Disappointment Headphone
Aug 2, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #258 of 401
AKG N90Q: Very clever technology. Not very resolving, which was a huge disappointment.
Clarion ZH700FF: Digital headphones that distort when you turn the volume up above a moderate level. And they cost around $1500!

I find the N90Q to be quite resolving for a closed headphone, plus I find that they work with more types of music than any other headphones I've owned.
I generally listen to them in studio mode which adds crossfeed and boosts the bass slightly. I don't have much experience with crossfeed, other than with the m9xx, but it also seems to open up the soundstage.

Aug 2, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #260 of 401
Exactly. I agree with you on Elear.
I got to spend a few hours with the Elears and Utopias. After listening to the Elears I was expecting the Utopias to be a more resolving version of them, but my initial impression was that they sounded closer to the T1s. I didn't spend that much time listening to the Utopias because I knew I wouldn't buy them. I did buy a pair of Elears - I think I bought into the hype, and wanted to give them a longer listen. I think they're over priced. Even replacement pads are 150, when a similar set of pads for another brand would cost 1/5th of that.

Aug 2, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #261 of 401
I think the winner of the "biggest disappointment" headphone officially goes to the Elear based on our stats!

Congratulations to Focal on your wonderful achievement!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #262 of 401
I wish someone would comment on Tyll's biggest disappointment headphone, the Ultrasone Edition 10!

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #264 of 401
No regrets in part to the fine head fi community.

tenor.gif

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #266 of 401
Ha! "Expect nothing and be happy when you get it" leaps to mind:)

Aug 2, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #268 of 401
My biggest disappointment has been the Philips SHP-9500. One reviewer in particular over-hyped the bejesus out of them and I bought it. I thought they'd be some giant-killer. While they do contend with headphones around $100 or $120, those aren't exactly 'giants.' Now, they are by far my worst headphones and get very little play. At least they taught me to read and watch reviews widely and not trust the opinion of one individual, though.

Aug 2, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #269 of 401
My biggest disappointment has been the Philips SHP-9500. One reviewer in particular over-hyped the bejesus out of them and I bought it. I thought they'd be some giant-killer. While they do contend with headphones around $100 or $120, those aren't exactly 'giants.' Now, they are by far my worst headphones and get very little play. At least they taught me to read and watch reviews widely and not trust the opinion of one individual, though.

Somic V2 stops this one dead in its tracks. Not sure why it's so "great".

Aug 2, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #270 of 401
Gonna go with the DT990 32ohm for music. It works wonders for gaming. For my genres though, it just doesnt cut it. It could be that Ive used the HD600 for years before hearing them, but they sound a little hollow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back