Bicycle-Fi!
Sep 3, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #3,721 of 4,419

I suspect the UCI will succumb to rider pressure and approve Discs with or without campagnolo. Which will lead to the hilarious sight of Campy equiped Colnagos with Shimano brakes.

I approve of disc brakes!
I've been bombing around SF on this flat bar with Shimano hydraulics.

Maybe I should throw some Campy on it and send a pic to Valentino....

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #3,722 of 4,419

I suspect the UCI will succumb to rider pressure and approve Discs with or without campagnolo. Which will lead to the hilarious sight of Campy equiped Colnagos with Shimano brakes.

Sweet. If I'm ever able to get back on the road, I'm liking the idea of an Ibis Hakkalugi with flat bars. Shimano MTB groupset with short cage clutch RD and road cassette, 

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #3,723 of 4,419

I'm liking the idea of an Ibis Hakkalugi with flat bars.

The original steel Hakkalugi was a really coveted bike, especially in the color "Gang Green".
Moron tubing and the "hand job" cable hanger...sweet!
I had a titanium Ibis road bike in the mid 90s. Nicest welds ever.
I picked it up from Scott Nichols at the old Sebastopol factory.
I eventually sold it but kept the "Hand Job" key chain he gave me.

In those days we could ride our bikes up to Ibis, Salsa, WTB, Mountain Goat, Otis Guy, JP Morgen etc and hang with the builders.
They're all gone now....

Sep 5, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #3,724 of 4,419

If ever a city demanded disks SanFran would be it.  Awesome bike.

After seeing the "new" retro Bianchi on BikeRadar in at 2500 quid per copy, I have come to the conclusion that the Italians have completely lost their minds. Must be too close to the LHC or something and a quantum event has thrown them back into the cycling stone age.
 I can hardly wait for the "Indexed shifting is dangerous" ads to start
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #3,725 of 4,419

I'm liking the idea of an Ibis Hakkalugi with flat bars.

The original steel Hakkalugi was a really coveted bike, especially in the color "Gang Green".
Moron tubing and the "hand job" cable hanger...sweet!
I had a titanium Ibis road bike in the mid 90s. Nicest welds ever.
I picked it up from Scott Nichols at the old Petaluma factory.
I eventually sold it but kept the "Hand Job" key chain he gave me.

In those days we could ride our bikes up to Ibis, Salsa, WTB, Mountain Goat, Otis Guy, JP Morgen etc and hang with the builders.
They're all gone now....

Steve Potts is still building frames. I think I heard he moved the shop out of his garage recently.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #3,726 of 4,419

Steve Potts is still building frames. I think I heard he moved the shop out of his garage recently.

Potts is building titanium bikes and Cunningham rigid steel forks out in Pt Reyes, which is another excellent place to ride and eat oysters.
He has a really nice shop...no garage.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #3,727 of 4,419
Here are a couple of cool bikes I've owned from Bay Area builders.
These were 15-20 years old so I don't have many pics:

1995 custom Salsa all rounder travel bike with S&S couplers.
This frame breaks in 2 and fits in a hard travel case.
Built as a 7 speed city bike with Paul rear derailleur and rare Mavic cranks.

Custom Sycip stainless steel frame made with Columbus Metax tubes probably built around 2000
This one of the really early stainless bikes when stainless tubes needed to be brazed and lugged, not TIG welded.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #3,728 of 4,419

If ever a city demanded disks SanFran would be it.  

Hydraulic brakes are really good.
I rode carbon rims with rim brakes for so long that I forgot how fun it can be to descend.
That BMC is more fun, going down hill, than my Campy Record, carbon wheeled, race bike.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #3,729 of 4,419
I rode carbon rims with rim brakes for so long that I forgot how fun it can be to descend.
That BMC is more fun, going down hill, than my Campy Record, carbon wheeled, race bike.

Oh I like that a lot. Any potential for a disk conversion there
biggrin.gif

The other factor that no one talks about in front of S Campagnolo is the wheel makers themselves. They have wanted to get rid of rim brakes for ages as it is holding back their technology.

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #3,730 of 4,419

Man that is one sweet bike!  Love the wheel set.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #3,732 of 4,419

No matter which way one looks at it, Record 10 was the best looking gruppo ever made.

Fantastic bike.

Besides, some impressions of the GT are coming.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #3,733 of 4,419
  No matter which way one looks at it, Record 10 was the best looking gruppo ever made.

I'll agree it's the best looking 'black' gruppo ever made!.
It certainly looks the part on newer frames with beefy tubes and deep carbon wheels.

I like that the brake calipers are different: strong dual pivot in front; lighter single pivot in the rear...very clever.

Sep 11, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #3,734 of 4,419

If ever a city demanded disks SanFran would be it.  

You can tell a vintage Flite by the acute angle of the seat rails. With it I couldn't use the Dura Ace scandium seatpost on a 74d sta, because it overran the short rear contact points with only about 2-3 grooves touching. I desperately ordered a Centaur which turned out to be one of my favorites of all time. These were my last two early 90 vintage--bought new locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back