Bicycle-Fi!
Sep 11, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #3,736 of 4,419

These were my last two early 90 vintage--bought new locally.

Really nice! 
You don't see many steel Spectrums out west...stunning paint.

And a fixed-gear as well. I'll have to admit not having fully broken in that custom (for me) Spectrum, as I'd ordered and built it in anticipation of a timely but failed recovery from patellar tendonitis on both sides. From 300mi or so, I'd opine Tom built me a winner.

IIRC that's Imron Candy Apple Red with met. silver undercoat, which shows through the stenciled lettering. When I sold it I knew that would be a bike I'd never be able to rebuild.

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #3,738 of 4,419

You can tell a vintage Flite by the acute angle of the seat rails. 

I only ride those old Ti Flites. I have one of the Alpes versions on my city bike.

BTW that lugged Colnago is sweet too...I like how you built it...slick!

'05 Chorus/Record, with Chorus FD, RD, SP. That Record Hubset was the best 10sp type!  Probably the best shifting Ergopower I've had. 

I still have an early 90's Vanadium Max Flite. 

P.S. I came so close to picking up a Duende in the same color scheme as yours from Bikyle. One of my big regrets was letting the EOM 16.5 Duende go. It had been very much abused in its former lives, and I wanted a nicer keeper. Absolutely my favorite road frame.

When my patellar tendinitis hit again, I eventually sold an NOS Ouzo Pro I had waiting in the wings. I would have sold the Faltz fork. 

Sep 18, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #3,740 of 4,419

Not the best shot.  Extended the stem which has proved better.

OOOOOOOOh. Thanks. How is the handling with the bars out in front of the front axle? I have been looking at a similar mod for an annoying project bike of mine.

While were at it. I wish folk would post up some scenic pics of their local riding routes. Heres one I am fortunate to have less than 10k up the road.

Sep 18, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #3,741 of 4,419

Not the best shot.  Extended the stem which has proved better.

OOOOOOh indeed. Lovely color that frame...

OOOOOOOOh. Thanks. How is the handling with the bars out in front of the front axle? I have been looking at a similar mod for an annoying project bike of mine.

While were at it. I wish folk would post up some scenic pics of their local riding routes. Heres one I am fortunate to have less than 10k up the road.

That's an excellent idea. Will look forward to exploring some more, could showcase the Grade's versatility.

What a view, my dear.

Sep 18, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #3,742 of 4,419
  OOOOOOh indeed. Lovely color that frame...

That's an excellent idea. Will look forward to exploring some more, could showcase the Grade's versatility.

What a view, my dear.

Sure is. Thats about 4 feet from the edge of a 50M drop straight down to the water. The trails snake along on both sides of the creek with the opposite side being somewhat more technical. This side has it both ways. Groomed wide pathways that you can take a road bike through and behind those single track root farms that come nastily close to the edge. It also boasts a wicked decent down to the water clearly marked No Bicycles. As I have met with the provincial police down there (they ride Rocky Mountains) I figure its okay if you dare. Someday I'll figure out how to actually make a shot in there that illustrates the decent properly. Hard to do with all the canopy and conflicting angles.

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #3,743 of 4,419
I much prefer the long reach out with the stem.  Had it much shorter and just was never that comfortable.  I am really wanting to get a modern carbon frame!  And the new SRAM eTap!

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #3,744 of 4,419
  I much prefer the long reach out with the stem.  Had it much shorter and just was never that comfortable.  I am really wanting to get a modern carbon frame!  And the new SRAM eTap!

What is the difference in turning effort?

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #3,746 of 4,419
Thanks.

Took Kona the Barbarian through the park again today. First shot illustrates the differences in trails go left and its smooth sailing the righside line is ungroomed. I like this park so much as it offers a groomed path and if you look harder there is wonderfully challenging technical stuff. The second shot picks up where that berm drops away. The camera does not do it justice but if you look at the large root on the right side of the shot you can see the actual angle of the dropaway. That same root is at the left of the second shot.

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #3,747 of 4,419
I am looking to buy a carbon road bike come spring.  Suggestions?  List so far is S-Works Specialized Venge, Colnago, Pinarello.

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #3,748 of 4,419
Don't forget Trek & Giant.  In that class, take a look at then new Trek Madone.
Quote:
  I am looking to buy a carbon road bike come spring.  Suggestions?  List so far is S-Works Specialized Venge, Colnago, Pinarello.

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #3,750 of 4,419
  Right.  I wish someone in the know could clue me into who has the best quality.

I'd like to know that as well. It has been a long long time since I have seen any durability and build tests and ratings on bikes. Very few long term use reports as well. Probably a matter of spending endless hours scouring forums to find what is what.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back