BF1942 or BF2? Both? CS Source?
Jun 11, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #76 of 113
Thanks for making me feel better about my purchase.
tongue.gif

I really want to play CS Source already.

How are the sound effects in Source? Does it use EAX?

Jun 11, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #77 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
BF1942 or BF2? Both? CS Source?

Also, Source and 1.6 are similar in the way that a giant turd and a chocolate cake are similar. 1.6 is the superior game by a mile.. go Source if you want a learning curve of 0.

Jun 11, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #78 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox

Also, Source and 1.6 are similar in the way that a giant turd and a chocolate cake are similar. 1.6 is the superior game by a mile.. go Source if you want a learning curve of 0.

Next time, read more than the first post.
icon10.gif
Source and BF1942 are ordered. If I really get into CS and Source just doesnt run that well, I'll pick up 1.6.

Jun 11, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #79 of 113
Quote:

Next time, read more than the first post.

I read the majority of the thread.

Having purchased a few games doesn't exclude you from purchasing another at some point in time.. I'm just throwing my opinion out on which game that should be.

Jun 11, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #80 of 113
Quote:

Thanks for making me feel better about my purchase.
tongue.gif

I really want to play CS Source already.

How are the sound effects in Source? Does it use EAX?

Awesome, and yes. IMO, Source has really good engines - for everything. Physics, AI, Sound, Graphics, Lighting... it's the most advanced game engine available on the market right now.

Jun 11, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #81 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Awesome, and yes. IMO, Source has really good engines - for everything. Physics, AI, Sound, Graphics, Lighting... it's the most advanced game engine available on the market right now.

Are you sure? What about Quake 4 and F.E.A.R?

Jun 11, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #82 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
I read the majority of the thread.

Having purchased a few games doesn't exclude you from purchasing another at some point in time.. I'm just throwing my opinion out on which game that should be.

Sorry. I didn't mean to sound like a jerk if thats what you saw me as.

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #84 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1cx
Are you sure? What about Quake 4 and F.E.A.R?

Quake IV is on the Doom 3 engine, and Source surpasses that engine in lighting, AI, sounds and physics - the realism of the characters in HL2 astounds me, as does the AI. I can't wait to play Episode One to see how Alix improved from the original HL2 game.

F.E.A.R. is based on Source.
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #85 of 113
I agree, Source is the most all-around advanced engine right now. It's got great physics, character animation & modeling, fast scaleable coding, good graphics & sound, and the lighting isn't too bad either.

I prefer FEAR's engine though. Very dramatic lighting (love the shadow effects), the most realistic interpretation of ladder-climbing yet, you can see your feet (!), realistic movement physics, and the best AI I've seen since Far Cry (2004). HL2's AI really isn't that good compared to FEAR's, IMO.

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #86 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
I agree, Source is the most all-around advanced engine right now. It's got great physics, character animation & modeling, fast scaleable coding, good graphics & sound, and the lighting isn't too bad either.

I prefer FEAR's engine though. Very dramatic lighting (love the shadow effects), the most realistic interpretation of ladder-climbing yet, you can see your feet (!), realistic movement physics, and the best AI I've seen since Far Cry (2004). HL2's AI really isn't that good compared to FEAR's, IMO.

FEAR is based on Source... so it's just a better implementation of Source. I think HL2:Ep1 brings the engine to par with FEAR, and adds HDR to it. Man, I'm really impressed with that particular technology. The screenshots look great!

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #88 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
FEAR is based on Source... so it's just a better implementation of Source. I think HL2:Ep1 brings the engine to par with FEAR, and adds HDR to it. Man, I'm really impressed with that particular technology. The screenshots look great!

FEAR isn't based on Source, what makes you say that? Monolith developed its engine internally from the previous LithTech one (powered games like AvP2, No One Lives Forever, Tron) into a new iteration that got called Jupiter.

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #89 of 113
Quote:

6 months?!?! Are you crazy? No I don't plan on spending 6 months on perfecting the art of counter strike.

That's not really what I'm worried about. I just want to know which one is more team oriented and that type of thing I guess.

In six month you would basically learn the maps, and you will not be called a newbie all the time - mastering CS takes years and hours of practice.

CS is team-oriented, but its usually about individual skill.

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #90 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
FEAR isn't based on Source, what makes you say that? Monolith developed its engine internally from the previous LithTech one (powered games like AvP2, No One Lives Forever, Tron) into a new iteration that got called Jupiter.

Whoops, pardon my misconception. After digging around... FEAR is not based on Source after all. I must be thinking of a different game.
confused.gif

EDIT: I think it was the usage of the HAVOK physics engine by both engines that got me confused... because I remember that being a main feature in both FEAR and HL2 in that you could manipulate your environment realistically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back