Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Dec 4, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #1,876 of 2,949
I'd consider driver flex a potential issue. My pair developed it very badly, to the point of just moving my jaw would trigger the clicking sound. Considering I have about 12 IEMs that I rotate through, the Xelento saw very little play, yet still developed the issue in less the five months. Beyer replaced them under warranty, though I fear the problem could easily return again once they're out of warranty. I haven't really listened to them much after getting the new pair.
Driver flex is a new topic to me. i would appreciate if you explain it a little further since I dont know what driver flew is. does the tesla driver get bent after a period of usage time? just bought the xelento a few days ago and this topic does worry me really

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #1,877 of 2,949
Driver flex is movement of a dynamic driver, created by pressure changes when there’s an air-tight seal between your ear and the driver. Most typically, it’s only heard when inserting or removing the IEM, assuming again there’s an air-tight seal. The sound to me is similar to flicking the pull-top on a soda can.

That alone is generally not too much of a concern, but if the driver edges become less rigid, then movement can occur with even less pressure changes. For example, in my Xelento it starting making the clicking sound when moving my jaw, or at times even when just walking, since the slight pressure changes in my ear would cause the drivers to make a clicking sound. It was audible while music was playing, and became very distracting.

Typically manufacturers avoid this problem by providing a small amount of venting in front of the driver, thus stopping the driver from moving with pressure changes. Also, using ear tips that provide less of a seal can also ‘fix’ it (though often with a change in frequency response). As far as I can tell, Beyer still has not added any venting to correct the design flaw, and instead replaces IEMs under warranty when a customer complains. IMHO, they should silently introduce a fix in the product.

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #1,878 of 2,949
Driver flex is movement of a dynamic driver, created by pressure changes when there’s an air-tight seal between your ear and the driver. Most typically, it’s only heard when inserting or removing the IEM, assuming again there’s an air-tight seal. The sound to me is similar to flicking the pull-top on a soda can.

That alone is generally not too much of a concern, but if the driver edges become less rigid, then movement can occur with even less pressure changes. For example, in my Xelento it starting making the clicking sound when moving my jaw, or at times even when just walking, since the slight pressure changes in my ear would cause the drivers to make a clicking sound. It was audible while music was playing, and became very distracting.

Typically manufacturers avoid this problem by providing a small amount of venting in front of the driver, thus stopping the driver from moving with pressure changes. Also, using ear tips that provide less of a seal can also ‘fix’ it (though often with a change in frequency response). As far as I can tell, Beyer still has not added any venting to correct the design flaw, and instead replaces IEMs under warranty when a customer complains. IMHO, they should silently introduce a fix in the product.
Well,you've summed up the issue brilliantly.Even I can understand! I'm not in any hurry,I think I'll wait for Xelento Mk.2. I've no doubt that their sound signature would suit me perfectly,but I do get nervous when things go wrong,especially with recurring issues such as this.Many thanks!

Dec 10, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #1,883 of 2,949
Hello, i'm new here. Just recently got my pair of Xelento and they sound kinda bright and seemingly have no bass. I tried to exchange them at the store,but they said it sounds fine. I'm currently driving them of LG G7(Quad Dac). Maybe they need a good amp?
Xelentos have a ton of bass. Something is seriously wrong with your pair as these are highly V shaped IEMs.

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #1,886 of 2,949
Hello, i'm new here. Just recently got my pair of Xelento and they sound kinda bright and seemingly have no bass. I tried to exchange them at the store,but they said it sounds fine. I'm currently driving them of LG G7(Quad Dac). Maybe they need a good amp?
Try some tip rolling first. The stock tips are kinda unique and don’t always seal well (they don’t work at all for me, so I use a pair of Symbio Peels instead). Like @RSC08 said, once you get the seal right, there’ll be lots of bass.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #1,888 of 2,949
So it seems like only comply tips work for me. Now there's bass that i can hear.

Try the biggest sizes of the regular tips, the Xelento tips aren't as deeply inserted as others, they sort of lie in the outermost part of the ear canal. Also try to insert them with a twisting movement while inserting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back