Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Dec 23, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #1,906 of 2,944
I haven't heard any clicking sound from my Xelento after a few weeks using it and i hope i would not have to hear it. I'd probably resell it to someone else if the driver flex really occurs. I dont think i can tolerate this problem since Xelento is considered a high priced and high end iem :frowning2: I wonder if every single driver of the Xelentos sold around the world has this issue or it depends on how people wear them and different canal structures?

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #1,907 of 2,944
Beyerdynamic seem to have been good about swapping out earbuds that exhibit driver flex, so if someone is really bothered by it, ask for an exchange. That being said, it's very common to experience driver flex when inserting a dynamic-driver IEM. Many headphones do this and I've personally not found a situation where it impacts the sound. Of course, if it's flexing all the time, return it. But driver flex on inserting an IEM wouldn't even rank as a first-world problem. IMHO.

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #1,908 of 2,944
Welcome to to the driver flex of the Xelento. For me, it started off similar as you described - until gradually over a few months, it would make that noise with every step when I walked or when I moved my mouth. It's absurd Beyeredynamic hasn't fixed this product flaw yet.

Hmm what's weird is that it mostly occurs on the left ear and yesterday I tried fitting it differently and I was able to get rid of it for a listening session.

At this point I'm mostly worried about it damaging my iem and I'm not sure if I should call Beyerdynamic over it or not (I am used to BA drivers)

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #1,909 of 2,944
Are there any tricks to avoid it?
Should I worry about it when it's inserted and I hear it clicking once every time I gently touch or tap the in ear or any of its components.
I've also noticed this is exclusively on my left ear. Right ear also has flex but once inserted it's fine.
I know for a fact my left ear is shorter so could it explain why?
Should I bother contacting Beyerdynamic or will the result be the same?

Thanks

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #1,910 of 2,944
They are not front vented so they'll flex easily as soon as a perfect seal is reached with silicon tips Solution to mostly avoid flex is to use foam tips, I use Flare audiophile earfoams with my T8iE..

Dec 24, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #1,911 of 2,944
They are not front vented so they'll flex easily as soon as a perfect seal is reached with silicon tips Solution to mostly avoid flex is to use foam tips, I use Flare audiophile earfoams with my T8iE..

Once they are in with the silicone stock tips, they are fine though.
Is it dangerous to continue using the silicone tips or can the driver handle this flex just fine?

Dec 24, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #1,912 of 2,944
Once they are in with the silicone stock tips, they are fine though.
Is it dangerous to continue using the silicone tips or can the driver handle this flex just fine?

Some say flexing drivers inevitably end up failing and some say it doesn't make a difference. The truth? Your guess is as good as mine.

Dec 24, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #1,913 of 2,944
May be a personal thing but I've noticed I get very little flex when I adopt a very different way of inserting my IEM's.
Usually I pull at the top of my ear to insert the IEM as deep as possible into my ear canal.
I've tried to pull ever so slightly at my antihelix to get enough room to comfortably drop the IEM shell in the desired place and I let the silicone form some sort of seal without shoving it in.
This seems to get rid of any driver flex so far and provides a decent sound (Bass is less emphasized than with deep fitting spinfits) but it's still very good imo.

Dec 24, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #1,915 of 2,944
I haven't heard any clicking sound from my Xelento after a few weeks using it and i hope i would not have to hear it. I'd probably resell it to someone else if the driver flex really occurs. I dont think i can tolerate this problem since Xelento is considered a high priced and high end iem :frowning2: I wonder if every single driver of the Xelentos sold around the world has this issue or it depends on how people wear them and different canal structures?

I returned mine because of the driver flex. And the sound, really. I would have kept it if it were < $200, but no way at it's current price.

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #1,916 of 2,944
I returned mine because of the driver flex. And the sound, really. I would have kept it if it were < $200, but no way at it's current price.
Focal Utopias didn't really work out for my taste, but that doesn't reduce them to a $50 product. Driver flex, huh? Just hang tight. One day you're going to have an actual problem in your life.

I read on the internet that there are fake Xelento. How to distinguish genuine from fake?

That seems to have become a real issue. I've heard several copies now and they range from garbage to quite good. I can easily tell the difference in the sound, but that's only because I'm familiar with the authentic Xelentos. All the copies are remarkably authentic-looking. The only way I could tell them apart are the cable (slick feel on the originals; slightly rubbery on the copies) and the tiny serial number lettering on the shell ("No" on the originals, "NO" on most of the current copies). If you weren't very familiar with the authentic product, you could easily be taken in by one of these fakes. Be careful where you purchase from.

Dec 24, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #1,917 of 2,944
Driver flex, huh? Just hang tight. One day you're going to have an actual problem in your life.

Sorry, but having a $1000 IEM go bad in less than 5 months of infrequent use isn’t petty. I know you’re an Xelento apologist though.

I did get a replacement set from Beyer, but I rarely use them now. I’d sell them, though don’t want to make my problem someone else’s. Time will tell how Beyer deals with out of warranty driver flex issues.

They’re pretty good sounding, but I listen to my Solaris, Andromeda, Z1R, EX1000, SE846, and several less expensive IEMs much more often.

Dec 24, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #1,918 of 2,944
Sorry, but having a $1000 IEM go bad in less than 5 months of infrequent use isn’t petty.
Please define "go bad". In any case, it doesn't sound like Beyerdynamic were unwilling to help. You weren't left $1000 out of pocket, were you? Not even for a headphone that widely retails at less than $800.

Constant driver flex, i.e., while listening, would certainly be a problem. In that case, exchange, refund, etc. But that's an outlier case which I've never seen reported by anybody but you. What was being discussed a few posts back is driver flex upon insertion. That's something virtually every dynamic driver IEM does - or runs the risk of. And even in that case Beyerdynamic seem to have been willing to exchange or refund.

I know you’re an Xelento apologist though.
Yes, I'm making large piles of cash from being a full-time apologist for Beyerdynamic and will defend them to the 7th level of Hell itself, where you might occasionally be exposed to a faint crinkling sound when inserting your earbuds.

Dec 24, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #1,919 of 2,944
Please define "go bad".

"Go bad' = a driver flex clicking sound with any tiny change in sound pressure, including every step while walking, or any movement of my jaw - thus they were plagued with driver flex noise if wearing them while in movement. What started out as innocuous driver flex when inserting them turned into this after about 20 times or less wearing them. I'm convinced driver flex is a progressive problem, as each time the flex occurs, the driver become more worn and easier to flex.

Yes, Beyer replaced them as they were in warranty. I'll be curious to see if Beyer replaces them out of warranty; from my experience, it seems the issue is inevitable from happening over time, since there has been no change in design. My current pair isn't yet making the sound (though I've worn them probably less than 5 times), though again I wonder why they should be any different over time. Maybe if one avoids eartips that provide an airtight seal, the problem can be avoided.

This thread is full of complaints of driver flex, and people returning them or selling them for this reason. Just google "Xelento Driver Flex" and see similar complaints in various reviews. I own several other dynamic driver IEMs, none which have this issue. It's a simple fact, buying the Xelento is a gamble in long-term longevity due to this problem. Meanwhile, of the 75+ headphones and IEMs I've owned over the past 35 years, all of which I baby and still look new, the Xelento is one of only two that have ever failed.

Mark

Dec 25, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #1,920 of 2,944
from my experience, it seems the issue is inevitable from happening over time, since there has been no change in design.

Based on a sample size of one, you conclude that all Xelentos will inevitably, eventually "go bad". Priceless :)

Yes, there are a few other complaints on this thread about driver flex - probably fueled in part by unsubstantiated comments like yours (above), insinuating that their earbuds are headed inexorably toward catastrophic driver failure. Other than your experience - which sounds like a dislodged driver - all the other comments I've seen are limited to flex on insertion. That, to me, is a non-issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back