Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Dec 25, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #1,921 of 2,944
Based on a sample size of one, you conclude that all Xelentos will inevitably, eventually "go bad". Priceless :)

Yes, there are a few other complaints on this thread about driver flex - probably fueled in part by unsubstantiated comments like yours (above), insinuating that their earbuds are headed inexorably toward catastrophic driver failure. Other than your experience - which sounds like a dislodged driver - all the other comments I've seen are limited to flex on insertion. That, to me, is a non-issue.
FWIW I've never experienced driver flex under any circumstances with the Xelento's and I have had them for a couple of years.

Dec 25, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #1,926 of 2,944
Focal Utopias didn't really work out for my taste, but that doesn't reduce them to a $50 product. Driver flex, huh? Just hang tight. One day you're going to have an actual problem in your life.

Hey, just because you're the official fanboy, no need to get snarky. (One day I'm going to have an actual problem in my life?? Looks like you've got it very tough as well, posting FR plots on 1st world forums.)

Let me rephrase my original statement. I was excited to get them and was wowed by the sound at first listen. After a while they started developing an increasingly noticeable driver flex. After a couple of days I realized the sound was not worth the cost to me. If they were cheaper I might have kept them. I used the driver flex as the official reason to return them to Amazon to avoid paying for return shipping.

I have no problem with people liking and loving the Xelento -- just saying I think they're overpriced for my taste.

Dec 25, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #1,927 of 2,944
It's odd how csglinux identifies with the Xelento (and SE846), like an extension of his ego, and any criticism of them is like a personal attack which he must defend (and attack the person making the comment).

There are 84 posts in the thread mentioning driver flex, and it's mentioned as a "con" in many indepedent reviews. Several people in the thread have reported returning their Xelento or replacing them via warranty due to driver flex. One person reported an experience almost exactly like mine, "I purchased a used pair in the classifieds that had left side flex like you are describing. I couldn’t even move without hearing the ping. I returned mine to the seller because the flex wasn’t disclosed. I would love to buy another set but a warranty is required with these and full retail is too much for me anyway."

But I'm the only person with this problem? I'm afraid not.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #1,928 of 2,944
It's odd how csglinux identifies with the Xelento (and SE846), like an extension of his ego, and any criticism of them is like a personal attack which he must defend (and attack the person making the comment).

There are 84 posts in the thread mentioning driver flex, and it's mentioned as a "con" in many indepedent reviews. Several people in the thread have reported returning their Xelento or replacing them via warranty due to driver flex. One person reported an experience almost exactly like mine, "I purchased a used pair in the classifieds that had left side flex like you are describing. I couldn’t even move without hearing the ping. I returned mine to the seller because the flex wasn’t disclosed. I would love to buy another set but a warranty is required with these and full retail is too much for me anyway."

But I'm the only person with this problem? I'm afraid not.
There's no perfect headphone - SE846 and Xelento included. But I'll push back against idiotic hyperbole on any thread I happen to be reading.

Dec 25, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #1,929 of 2,944
On a more constructive tropic, I had gotten two ALO Audio Pure Silver Litz cables (3.5mm & 4.4mm) on sale for $50 each recently. I set them aside as a Christmas present, and just got them today.

I figured they would be good to use with the Xelento, since there's no ear guide on this model, and indeed they work very well, much better than the stock cables. I'm not much of a believer in cables sounding greatly different, but functionally they work great.

I tend to find ALO Audio cables work great with almost all MMCX IEMs. I long ago switched to them for my SE846. And today I also received a pair of JVC FDX1, and quickly replaced the stock cable with an ALO Audio Litz cable.

Dec 25, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #1,930 of 2,944
I wouldn't go as far to say that the Xelento is flawless.
I agree that the driver flex is an actual problem I face too.
However I've noticed using a smaller tip with a more shallow fit (I have extremely tiny ear canals according to audiologist) goes a long way.
Using it this way has also created a very comfortable fit.

Overall I'd say the experience is very enjoyable this way.
Isolation on the other hand isn't great! :)
For someone who struggles with IEM's in general, and for whom almost every higher end IEM is uncomfortable due to size, the Xelento is a breeze of fresh air.
I get an extremely comfortable shallow fit with great bass response without the usual pain.

I'm personally using the smallest stock tips or the spinfit MS tips.
I feel like silicone MS doesn't match spinfit MS.
I've also read in the beyerdynamic guide that they recommend to size down if you doubt between two sizes so doing exactly that.
I don't feel like I'm losing any bass and isolation isn't the best in either case.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #1,931 of 2,944
Frequency response is a useful guide, but everybody's ears are unique, and subtle differences in ear geometry, eartip type/size, etc., can cause significant differences in perceived FR. The only way to know for sure is to spend a reasonable amount of time with both IEMs (testing multiple types of eartip) and try for yourself.

That being said, we know that there is a frequency response (Harman target) that we shouldn't really stray too far from:

We know that most people find the Harman target FR more natural sounding for IEMs, because it mimics the (unoccluded) ear canal resonance generated when we listen to normal, ambient sound. There's a good reason why most people don't like the tuning of the RHA CL2 (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rha-cl2-tuning-preferences.894595/), because its mid-range boost goes way above the Harman target. The T9ie has the opposite problem - it goes almost as far below that target in the midrange. That's not to say you won't find vocal outliers - the RHA CL2 has a Jihadi-like devotion from some of the folks on the CL2 thread. Being outliers, they're obviously very excited having finally found a headphone that sounds great to them. But for the majority of people, you won't want to stray too far from the white curve above.

IMHO, purchasing a T9ie without ever having heard a Xelento would be like flushing $$$s down the toilet.

Very interesting, Thank you. I always though harman curve looked very V shaped, as in recessed mids. But this isn't the case?
Does this mean that what i've been considering flat, a flatter response such as that of the t9ie is actually not neutral?

I dont have the chance to demo xelento, only t9ie but now im intrigued.
Regards.

Dec 26, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #1,932 of 2,944
Very interesting, Thank you. I always though harman curve looked very V shaped, as in recessed mids. But this isn't the case?
Does this mean that what i've been considering flat, a flatter response such as that of the t9ie is actually not neutral?

AFAIK literally flat response is not generally considered neutral in earphones (this could sound rather warm through midrange, as mentioned because earphones bypass the outer ear which would normally create gain in certain high frequency areas). Harman is not neutral per se, rather it is designed based on taking a "neutral" compensation curve (simulating listening to speakers in room, w/ microphones in a dummy head) and then tweaking it based on testing of listener preferences - so it is a little bit V relative to something Diffuse Field compensation but not like full on JVC style.

(if you want to read more about Harman curve there are a lot of good articles on innerfidelity)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #1,933 of 2,944
Are there any tricks to avoid it?
Should I worry about it when it's inserted and I hear it clicking once every time I gently touch or tap the in ear or any of its components.
I've also noticed this is exclusively on my left ear. Right ear also has flex but once inserted it's fine.
I know for a fact my left ear is shorter so could it explain why?
Should I bother contacting Beyerdynamic or will the result be the same?

Thanks

They are not front vented so they'll flex easily as soon as a perfect seal is reached with silicon tips Solution to mostly avoid flex is to use foam tips, I use Flare audiophile earfoams with my T8iE..

Driver flex is caused by air pressure buildup during insertion. If the tip creates an early seal before the IEM is fully inserted, then it works like a piston compressing the air in your ear canal, which in term exerts pressure against the driver's diaphragm.

As @chickenmoon said, some IEMs have a front vent, which works as pressure equalizer, so they don't exhibit this issue. Also, foam tips can help to avoid an early seal, because they're usually being compressed before insertion, so air can escape from your canal without pressure buildup.

The best way to minimize / avoid pressure buildup and driver flex during insertion of silicone tips, is to make your ear canal as wide as possible. You can do this by opening your mouth and pulling your ear backwards / upwards during insertion. Once the tip is fully inserted, let go of your ear and close your mouth to make your ear canal narrower again and create a seal.

Dec 28, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #1,935 of 2,944
I'm finding Xelento's harsh sounding sometimes, especially on guitars.almost unbearable, so i have to lower the volume. Maybe I'm not used to it.

Hmm I've had that feeling before on the RHA CL2 when listening to Greta Von Fleet for example. However with Xelento, I've not had that yet.

Maybe a dumb question but are you getting a full seal?
What IEM do you come from as it's V shaped signature may explain in case you come from something like Shure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back