Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Jan 5, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #1,951 of 2,944
Just going to throw it out there for others who may struggle with this.
Xelento was flexing at every jaw movement for me and it was infuriating.
I went through my entire collection of tips and it displayed this behaviour with every tip except for my Sony hybrid foam tips.
Isolation is still crap but comfort is out of this world and sound ain't half bad either :)

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #1,952 of 2,944
I just took delivery of Xelento Remote's and have spent the last half hour or so giving them an initial listen. I am blown away by these, aesthetically they look amazing but the clarity and low end rumble with Spinfit tips is something else. Having had a terrible experience with Shure SE846's I bought the Xelentos as it was described to me that they have the full bodied sound of the Atlas's (which I regrettably sold due to driver flex) and whomever said that was spot on, frankly they make the Shures sound like thirty-pound earphones in comparison. Driver Flex was always going to be a big concern for me coming off the Atlas's, but there is not a hint of it with any silicone tip I have tried. Will be giving these a good listen over the next day or so, but so far I am extremely impressed.

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #1,954 of 2,944
Hey, considering Xelento since the remote might be quite useful for occasional calls. Though, do you know if it works via Radsone ES100, Fiio BTR5 or a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter (say, from Apple or Meizu)?

Jan 14, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #1,956 of 2,944
How does metal sound to you guys? For example listening to Thorns - Thorns album. there's too much treble, i have to turn down the volume. In other non metal songs like Taylor swift - love story at around 1.11 min becomes a bit harsh? Can you guys confirm?
Also did anyone receive their Xelento in this box? New packaging?

The thing about the treble, there are very few IEMs that are as smooth and relaxed in the treble as Xelento, strange to say that they are treble-happy (?)

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #1,957 of 2,944
Yes I gotta say the bass is amazing on these.tried xl tips, and there seems to be no more harshness? We'll the see more i listen.
Edit:still with metal I need to turn down the volume than what I normally listen other music at.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #1,959 of 2,944
Hi all, I'm looking to get some advice on using a desktop amp with the Xelentos.
I've had the Xelentos for a couple of months now, and have to say I'm still blown away by them. I currently play them through a chord mojo and they are a great pairing to my ears!

I also own some ultrasone sig dj and senn hd650's... And these 2 haven't been getting much use since I got the Xelentos! I have to be honest and say I've never been outstanded by the 650s with the mojo, and so have been thinking of getting a good desktop amp to see if I can get more out of them.

If I'm going to get an amp for my overeaes, I feel it may as well be one to use with the Xelentos too.

The questions I have are
1.) Are desktop amps overkill for iems. I can't seem to find a good answer to this anywhere I look online. Would a well matched desktop amp give me even more pleasure out of the Xelento then I already get?

2.) if they do make a difference, has anyone got any recommendations. My price is approx $500-600 US dollars (possibly a bit more), and I would want something that is an upgrade over the mojo....
P. S I live in rural Australia so auditiong equipment is not easy!

Thanks in advance!

Jan 23, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #1,961 of 2,944
Do all fakes have ''NO'' printed on them? Do they sound similar to the real ones?

All copies I've seen so far have that misprinted "NO" in front of the serial number, but that would be an easy thing for the fakers to fix. A couple of other things I've noticed. The cables on the fakes are a tackier texture - not as smooth. The remote on the authentic cable works with both iOS and Android devices; the remotes on the fakes only seem to work with Android devices. But otherwise, visually, the copies I've seen are near-perfect. Somebody who didn't know, would easily be fooled. In terms of sound quality, the fakes I've heard really aren't that good. They all roll off too early (to varying degrees) at both ends, and they always have a much heavier mid-bass. That's one of the Xelento's main sonic weaknesses to begin with, so even more mid-bass tends to muddy up the sound. But some of the copies actually sound ok - not great, but ok. A quick Google search will show you the internet is drowning in fake Xelentos right now (mainly the ones with the dark-colored packaging) and prices aren't much more than about $100 (USD). Notwithstanding the fact that one shouldn't be supporting counterfeiting, the fakes aren't worth $100 IMHO, even if you're ok with willingly buying fakes. Buy a genuine FLC8d. They're way better than the fake Xelentos.

All of this is a pretty sad state of affairs, because authentic Xelentos are amazing. But unless somebody is willing to buy direct from Beyerdynamic, I don't think I could continue to recommend these headphones. There's just too big of a chance that you're actually going to be buying fakes. Amazon just announced they're going to instantly report counterfeits to law enforcement:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...it-reporting-to-law-enforcement-idUSKBN1ZC25U

Sounds good in terms of PR, but it's too little, too late. And it's useless if people don't even realize they've purchased a fake. (Which, if you weren't very familiar with authentic Xelentos, is probably close to 100% probability.) Even if you manage to secure an authentic pair of Xelentos, you're going to have a hard time trading or selling them if you ever decide you'd like to move on to something else. There have been fakes pushed on Amazon and even on headfi's own for-sale forums. Buyers surely wouldn't (and shouldn't) trust second-hand Xelentos on eBay.

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #1,963 of 2,944
I think selling them is fine because the fakes have the NO instead of the No.

I got sold a pair of fakes on Head-fi and PayPal got my money back. I bought the real ones and they sound much better. I think you’re fine unless you get the NO ones

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #1,964 of 2,944
The fact that all NOs are fake doesn't necessarily mean all Nos aren't unfortunately.

Jan 27, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #1,965 of 2,944
You can say that with any headphones. If you can get their serial number confirmed with the manufacturer, you are okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back