Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Mar 7, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #1,982 of 2,930
Hi friends, I know the Xelento is one of the best DD sets out there, though it has been around for a few years. It's been on my wishlist for the longest time, though I am still saving up for it. So is it still competitive compared to recent releases?

I’ve had the T8iE MKII now for almost a year, and the clarity, detail and soundstage is still impressing me every time I hear them.
They are like a Zeiss lens with it’s outstanding contrast, clarity and bold colors. Intense. If I knew of another IEM that would provide that SQ level at the price for a used T8iE I would buy it.
The only other IEM that beats the T8iE in value is the Sony EX1000 IMO, but that one is even more intense and is more demanding on the DAC/Amp IMO. Also not as universal as the T8iE. But dynamics and bass quality is outstanding on the EX1k.
I never heard the Xelento, but have to say I think I would still prefer the T8iE MKII, since the AK version has enough sparkle for me and sounds actually very natural. Crinacle’s description “neutral with bass boost” is very accurate IMO, and the bass boost is less pronounced than the graph made me expect, I suppose that’s because of it’s speed and clarity.

One thing to be aware of, they are extremely comfortable, but the sealed DD design means that I need to be careful to prevent driver flex, and the included tips are perfect for sound and comfort, but not the most secure in fit.

Hope you can get them soon and at a good price, and looking forward to your experiences!

Mar 8, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #1,983 of 2,930
How do the Xelentos work as travel headphones or for walking? Some IEMs I've had in the passed has had horrible microphonics via the cable so I couldn't enjoy the music. I'm looking for a big upgrade to my RHA T20s at the moment and the Xelentos seem to be ticking a lot of boxes. Finally, are they relatively easy to drive with music players?

Mar 8, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #1,984 of 2,930
How do the Xelentos work as travel headphones or for walking? Some IEMs I've had in the passed has had horrible microphonics via the cable so I couldn't enjoy the music. I'm looking for a big upgrade to my RHA T20s at the moment and the Xelentos seem to be ticking a lot of boxes. Finally, are they relatively easy to drive with music players?

Based on my experience with the almost identical A&K T8iE:
Good for travelling, isolation is good (customs or BA IEMs are ususally even better), comfort is very high, and they are easy to drive.
I don't use them while walking, but microphonics are low with the soft cable, so should be good.
The special tips that come with the Xelento are very nice, but (don't laugh) make sure that you have no big hairs growing in your ear, that will really impact seal and how securely they fit.

Mar 8, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #1,985 of 2,930
Based on my experience with the almost identical A&K T8iE:
Good for travelling, isolation is good (customs or BA IEMs are ususally even better), comfort is very high, and they are easy to drive.
I don't use them while walking, but microphonics are low with the soft cable, so should be good.
The special tips that come with the Xelento are very nice, but (don't laugh) make sure that you have no big hairs growing in your ear, that will really impact seal and how securely they fit.

@surfgeorge can i confirm that the A&K T8ie MK2 and Xelento have similar fit/isolation, just the tuning is slightly different? Xelento is slightly more V-shaped in FR?

And is there driver flex on your A&K T8IE?

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #1,986 of 2,930
@surfgeorge can i confirm that the A&K T8ie MK2 and Xelento have similar fit/isolation, just the tuning is slightly different? Xelento is slightly more V-shaped in FR?

And is there driver flex on your A&K T8IE?

Yes, the A&K T8iE are a version of the Xelento which was tuned slightly differently by Astell & Kern and manufactured by Beyerdynamic. Really not sure what they did, because they look identical. I have not heard the Xelento myself, but I trust Crinacle's verdict below. The only reason for the Xelento receiving a star and T8iE not might be the MRSP of $1200 for the A&K vs $1000 for the Xelento. I think I prefer the T8iE tuning, as it has good sparkle and does really well with male vocals, chello, bass guitar etc, giving them a good body and presence.
The funny thing is that although my T8iE MKII measures with a lot of bass as well I don't feel bass being dominant or even overwhelming at all, in fact sub-bass feels more prominent on the Sony EX1K and the JVC FD02.
Driver flex: yes, they do have driver flex as it is a sealed DD IEM. With the stock tips I don't have an issue when inserting them slowly and carefully. With super-sealing spinfits it's hard to avoid. It's a little annoying but I got used to handling it.
Unbenannt.JPG

Mar 8, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #1,987 of 2,930
These are appearing on my radar more frequently. How does the Xelento compare with the Vega? On paper they seem to have "similar" bass, however the Xelento seems to be a refined version of the Vega, commanding bass but with better clarity and definition. It's not like the Vega are muddy, I've enjoyed them for two years now and love them to bits. I'm just curious if the Xelento would be a sidegrade or upgrade.

Mar 8, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #1,988 of 2,930
Xelentos are my daily IEM (though been using my FDX-01's recently to give them a real shot), I think they'd be a sidegrade to your Vega's. The difference is the dip they have. Xelentos start to peak between 2-5k, while Vega has a dip there, before shooting up at 8k.

Mar 9, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #1,989 of 2,930
These are appearing on my radar more frequently. How does the Xelento compare with the Vega? On paper they seem to have "similar" bass, however the Xelento seems to be a refined version of the Vega, commanding bass but with better clarity and definition. It's not like the Vega are muddy, I've enjoyed them for two years now and love them to bits. I'm just curious if the Xelento would be a sidegrade or upgrade.
Personally I think the XELENTO is a downgrade to the Vega.
It sounds muddy in comparison, and has lower resolution. You should definitely try it before buying if you can, and who knows... your take on it may be quite different than mine.
Build quality is also much higher on the VEGA.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #1,990 of 2,930
Here's a handy comparison.
https://twister6.com/2017/07/18/beyerdynamic-xelento/2/

Mar 9, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #1,992 of 2,930
Certainly in the UK there's a big price difference between the Xelento and the Vega. The Xelento is currently 780 GBP and the Vega is 1086 GBP. Is the sound quality improvement big enough to warrant the 28% price difference?

You can get the Atlas for cheaper than that and it’s arguably the better and more versatile iem

Mar 12, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #1,995 of 2,930
Hello, I'm able to get a set of the wireless bt version newish(overstock but no warranty) for around 190$ usd. Only player I have is sony nwa45. My main musical tastes are post rock, math rock, folk, indie folk, bluegrass and alt country(explosions in the sky, giraffes giraffes, songs ohia, avett brothers, bonnie prince billy). I keep reading these are better for female vocals but are the male vocals fine? I know they are worth this price to just pick up and sell or trade but my friend is second in line for them and both of us are looking at them to use not sell. Basically im just wondering if these IEMs would work fine with my player and sound good with my genres of choice. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back