Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Mar 27, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #2,012 of 2,937
I might get some driver flex from the initial insertion because I press it into my ear canal but once it's in place it's not an issue at all.

I get a bit of clicking on the left earpiece during insertion - more so with the foam tips, less with the silicone tips. Once inserted, there are no issues.

It's pretty controversial whether driver flex will damage the dynamic driver after repeated flexes, most manufacturers claim no, but I've seen a few anecdotal reports on headfi and other audio sites that their dynamic drivers died after a particularly bad case of driver flex. Whatever the case, it is a bit irritating to have crackling in the ears.

Well FWIW, I realize driver flex can be reduced to some extent by these few methods:
1) Use foam tips instead of silicone tips, works sometimes for me. Probably cause the foam is porous and lets air escape thru the foams rather than going into the IEM shell.
2) Driver flex seems to be due to a too tight seal in the ear canal, and sometimes using another eartip (silicone) that has lesser isolation/seal may reduce driver flex, though at the expense of isolation. Try a variety of different ear tips if you can, some tips give more driver flex than others.
3) Try opening your mouth and pulling down the earlobe before inserting the IEM, this opens the ear canal a bit for more space to insert the eartip, and hopefully some air can escape during insertion with the bigger diammeter of the ear canal.
4) Insert the ear tip slowly or not too deeply initially, and slowly make fine adjustments to push it in.

Apr 3, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #2,016 of 2,937
I'm wondering if anyone has found any great cable for use with the Xelento. The stock is really a great match sound wise but the ergonomics can be a little unpredictable and it is a bit harsh/unforgiving.
I have the ALO Pure silver litz which really removes all harshness, has perfect ergonomics, but it also crushes the dynamics quite a bit.

I would love something with a smoother, un-fatiguing signature while still keeping the Xelento's dynamics/energy.

SP2000 has enough power and authority to drive the Xelento + pure silver litz satisfactory, but since im transitioning back to the less powerful/authoritative AK240SS, the Xelento/silver litz combo has become a little too sleepy unless i crank up the volume.

Since i've found my ideal endgame portable combination, the AK240SS + Xelento, maybe ill try my hand at creating some cables as a side hobby.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #2,017 of 2,937
I'm wondering if anyone has found any great cable for use with the Xelento. The stock is really a great match sound wise but the ergonomics can be a little unpredictable and it is a bit harsh/unforgiving.
I have the ALO Pure silver litz which really removes all harshness, has perfect ergonomics, but it also crushes the dynamics quite a bit.

I would love something with a smoother, un-fatiguing signature while still keeping the Xelento's dynamics/energy.

SP2000 has enough power and authority to drive the Xelento + pure silver litz satisfactory, but since im transitioning back to the less powerful/authoritative AK240SS, the Xelento/silver litz combo has become a little too sleepy unless i crank up the volume.

Since i've found my ideal endgame portable combination, the AK240SS + Xelento, maybe ill try my hand at creating some cables as a side hobby.

For DIY I found this cable to be very good sonically:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32811822368.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.79104c4dD0eHib
I have the ALO pure silver (not litz) and the linked Aliexpress cable sounds a good bit clearer, tighter and more dynamic with the JVC FD02 I am using it with.

It is however rather stiff and microphonic, due to the teflon insulation, despite being nice and thin.
With my heavier IEMs like the JVC FD02 that is OK, but I never tried with my A&K T8iE.

Comfort is also below the really nice and soft ALO cable.

Apr 3, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #2,018 of 2,937
Thanks for the Rec.
I don't know whether to believe in cable burn in or not, but maybe over some more time the compressed sounding bass from silver litz will improve. Wishful thinking maybe.
20200403_165644.jpg

Attachments

• 20200403_172934.jpg
    20200403_172934.jpg
    917.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #2,020 of 2,937
Has anyone upgraded the cable on their Xelentos with noticeably improved results?

For DIY I found this cable to be very good sonically:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32811822368.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.79104c4dD0eHib
I have the ALO pure silver (not litz) and the linked Aliexpress cable sounds a good bit clearer, tighter and more dynamic with the JVC FD02 I am using it with.

It is however rather stiff and microphonic, due to the teflon insulation, despite being nice and thin.
With my heavier IEMs like the JVC FD02 that is OK, but I never tried with my A&K T8iE.

Comfort is also below the really nice and soft ALO cable.
Thanks for the Rec.
I don't know whether to believe in cable burn in or not, but maybe over some more time the compressed sounding bass from silver litz will improve. Wishful thinking maybe.

Btw, for others reading, im probably making it sound worse than it is, the combination still sounds absolutely fantasic, im just reaching for perfection here.

Unleashing my inner instagramer!
How about another ALO IEM cable: https://headphonecompany.com/produkt/alo-audio-reference-8-in-ear-kabel/

Crushed dynamics as with the ALO Silver Litz mentioned above is a no-go.

I am asking for this ALO Ref 8 since it can be purchased easily within Germany. I am no fan of Big A, overseas shipments and customs.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #2,021 of 2,937
Apr 6, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #2,022 of 2,937
Has anyone tested the Xelento with the Sony WM1A? I'm interested in some feedback how they pair..
Thanks.
This is a very good pairing. The Xelento has a heavy emphasis in the lower register and the more neutral sounding 1A is ideal for it. I wouldn’t recommend a 1Z though because it can be a bit too much for some :wink:

Apr 6, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #2,023 of 2,937
This is a very good pairing. The Xelento has a heavy emphasis in the lower register and the more neutral sounding 1A is ideal for it. I wouldn’t recommend a 1Z though because it can be a bit too much for some :wink:
[/QUOTE]
I totally agree
I have Wm1z and an "old " flagship Nwz x1061 and much more prefer Xelento / X1061
honestly, in my opinion this combination is one of the best I've ever heard

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #2,024 of 2,937
Just out of interest regarding driver flex, are there people who can fully open their mouth wide or move their jaws and still hear no clicky sound (without music playing?).
I'm able to insert them and then not constantly have driver flex but when I yawn or make larger mouth movements, they will always click on the left side :)
(using the XS tips because all the others don't go deep enough into my extremely tiny ear canals).
Other than that they are absolutely comfortable but my OCD just needs to know whether there is a way I can avoid driver flex all together (even when opening mouth or moving jaws for example) :D

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #2,025 of 2,937
Just out of interest regarding driver flex, are there people who can fully open their mouth wide or move their jaws and still hear no clicky sound (without music playing?).
I'm able to insert them and then not constantly have driver flex but when I yawn or make larger mouth movements, they will always click on the left side :)
(using the XS tips because all the others don't go deep enough into my extremely tiny ear canals).
Other than that they are absolutely comfortable but my OCD just needs to know whether there is a way I can avoid driver flex all together (even when opening mouth or moving jaws for example) :D

Have u tried foam tips or something with a shorter bore/shorter depth of insertion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back