Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Apr 6, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #2,026 of 2,944
Just out of interest regarding driver flex, are there people who can fully open their mouth wide or move their jaws and still hear no clicky sound (without music playing?).
I'm able to insert them and then not constantly have driver flex but when I yawn or make larger mouth movements, they will always click on the left side :)
(using the XS tips because all the others don't go deep enough into my extremely tiny ear canals).
Other than that they are absolutely comfortable but my OCD just needs to know whether there is a way I can avoid driver flex all together (even when opening mouth or moving jaws for example) :D

It is my understanding that the tips are designed for shallow insertion into the concha rather than the ear canal itself.
I have narrow ear canals too and am using the second largest tips which makes them sit very well in the concha without too tight seal.

And I also have an occasional clicking when yawning, but it's a very gentle click, nothing to worry about.

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #2,027 of 2,944
It is my understanding that the tips are designed for shallow insertion into the concha rather than the ear canal itself.
I have narrow ear canals too and am using the second largest tips which makes them sit very well in the concha without too tight seal.

And I also have an occasional clicking when yawning, but it's a very gentle click, nothing to worry about.
Very interesting! So they don’t go in tour canal?
Cause the manual says pick the smallest if you doubt?

Apr 7, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #2,030 of 2,944
After insertion I always pull up on the mmcx connector gently to lift the earpiece and break the seal. Just to be sure to release any pressure that may be on the driver.
I figure its bad to run the earbuds when the diaphragm is under a lot of internal pressure.

I use the second or third largest eartips, very comfortable. Stock tips is the best sound I've found. I think maybe if people don't get a proper seal with stock tips they aren't using a big enough size?

Apr 8, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #2,032 of 2,944
I just want to put this out there: the Xelentos have blown me away! It's like having nothing in or on your ears and it's just like listening to a live performance in front of you.

I love it too. It’s my favourite universal IEMs which I actually traded in two other IEMs and top up some cash to acquire at my local Jaben audio store. I, however, have not been using it much after getting my custom IEMs.

Currently thinking of getting a full shell custom acrylic eartips for it (http://store.treoo.com/nocturnal-audio-custom-acrylic-eartip.html) and have the cable reterminated to 2.5mm balanced to use with my Fiio BTR5 and iPhone. Has anyone tried reterminating the original 3.5mm cable that came with the Xelento to 2.5mm balanced? Would love to know how did it go.

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #2,033 of 2,944
I hope everybody's staying safe and healthy out there and enjoying lockdown with their Xelentos? Just think how lucky you all are. Other people are having to self-isolate with far-inferior headphones :wink:

I just thought I'd throw one other headphone recommendation out there in case anybody's bored. This isn't an unreserved endorsement (as you'll see, this headphone comes with a ton of caveats), but in terms of overall sound quality, it can (maybe?) fix a couple of tiny issues that I have with the Xelentos: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fir-audio-m5.23861/review/23350/

The other recommendation I was going to make (following last year's CanJam) increasingly looks like it's not going to happen. This was supposed to be a (Mass)Drop release that would have been nicely affordable. I won't (yet) embarrass the company that never got around to completing this project. Great shame, but my thoughts are that this Drop IEM would have eaten this company's breakfast, lunch and dinner, as it sounded better than all their multi-driver/multi-$k TOTL IEMs. Other than this non-event and the FiR M5, I've still not found anything that I would really consider a worthy replacement for the Xelentos. I'm always eager for recommendations though...(?!)

Currently thinking of getting a full shell custom acrylic eartips for it (http://store.treoo.com/nocturnal-audio-custom-acrylic-eartip.html)

I wouldn't go there. These will extend your effective canal length and will have a massively detrimental effect on the FR (they'll shift all the treble peaks lower).

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #2,034 of 2,944
You're a very knowledgeable person and I value your opinion highly but... you lost me at €2.9K...

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #2,035 of 2,944
I hope everybody's staying safe and healthy out there and enjoying lockdown with their Xelentos? Just think how lucky you all are. Other people are having to self-isolate with far-inferior headphones :wink:

I just thought I'd throw one other headphone recommendation out there in case anybody's bored. This isn't an unreserved endorsement (as you'll see, this headphone comes with a ton of caveats), but in terms of overall sound quality, it can (maybe?) fix a couple of tiny issues that I have with the Xelentos: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fir-audio-m5.23861/review/23350/

The other recommendation I was going to make (following last year's CanJam) increasingly looks like it's not going to happen. This was supposed to be a (Mass)Drop release that would have been nicely affordable. I won't (yet) embarrass the company that never got around to completing this project. Great shame, but my thoughts are that this Drop IEM would have eaten this company's breakfast, lunch and dinner, as it sounded better than all their multi-driver/multi-$k TOTL IEMs. Other than this non-event and the FiR M5, I've still not found anything that I would really consider a worthy replacement for the Xelentos. I'm always eager for recommendations though...(?!)

I wouldn't go there. These will extend your effective canal length and will have a massively detrimental effect on the FR (they'll shift all the treble peaks lower).
I’d be curious to hear your opinion on Technics EAH-Tz700.
I feel like they are also a really good execution of DD driver :)
Would be interesting to see your take on them vs xelento :)

Apr 24, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #2,037 of 2,944
you lost me at €2.9K...
I totally hear you. No €3k+ IEM justifies the cost of the parts inside it.
Do R&D costs merit that sort of price? Maybe. Or maybe somebody just has an over-inflated ego and over-values their hourly rate.
There are also companies out there that have openly admitted (e.g., Audeze on the Innerfidelity podcast) that they set their prices
based on whatever they think the market will stand.

I’d be curious to hear your opinion on Technics EAH-Tz700.
I actually don't know them. I will try to check them out, time and covid-19 permitting. Thanks for the tip @Spie1904 :)

I really like Xelento but I think Ex1000 in combination with Wm1z is murdering Xelento
You'd go as far as murder, hey? Ok. Personally, I'm not sure it makes sense to compare the Xelento to a headphone that has no sub-bass.
The low-end rumble is one of the best features of the Xelento.
I'm not saying EX1000 is a bad headphone, but it's a big departure for anybody that enjoys a Xelento-type sound signature.

Apr 26, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #2,039 of 2,944
Hi Xelento users.

I bought Xelento recently and was impressed by the sound. However, I have to say the build quality is indeed not as expected as the price indicates.
Wondering if you guys have ever noticed that the metal plate with the Beyerdynamic logo on either side is not firmly fixed to its place. If you press the plate and move slightly around you will notice that the plate will move. And ... for the pair I own, I discovered that for the right ear, the plate is not placed strictly at the center of the place, but slightly shifted and tilted. It seems that this does not affect the sound quality, but ... every time I saw it I am a bit upset.

See the pictures I took for my pair (google drive link)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back