Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Jul 10, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #1,007 of 2,944
With Xelento, any issue listening laying down? (Due to deep inset)

They are rather shallow insertion :)

The main issue is that if you lay on your side, they aren't sitting absolutely flush with the ear, so it may not be absolutely comfortable in that situation, but again, this would depend a lot on the anatomy of one's ear, can't predict how it would work for everybody. For me, they are a bit larger than it would be needed to lay my head on the side of the pillow, but I can sit on the back just fine while wearing them

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #1,009 of 2,944
Hi All,

I have a pair of the AKs, and have lost one of the small mesh grills. I've tried to get in touch with Beyerdynamic and AK to no avail. Beyer e-mailed me back saying they don't support the AKs. I saw the rubber tips for the Xelentos on Beyer's EU site for sale as spares, but no wax guards. Does anyone know a dealer for the Xelento's in HKG? I'd like to listen to a pair and also see if I can secure a source for the grills. I think the form factor is identical. Jaben is a Beyer dealer, but they don't stock them. Feel free to PM me. I'm unsure of the rules and etiquette re: discussing retailers.

Thanks in advance.

PS - FWIW on certain DAPs, I agree the bass on the AKs can sometimes be a bit too much. They're great (oddly enough) out of an iPhone 6+ for R&B, Rap and other styles where you need the bass, but the quality of the bass is not paramount. Given the (relatively) low impedance, it's tough to use them with any source not set up for IEMs or other portables.

Jul 20, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #1,011 of 2,944
Hi All,

I have a pair of the AKs, and have lost one of the small mesh grills. I've tried to get in touch with Beyerdynamic and AK to no avail. Beyer e-mailed me back saying they don't support the AKs. I saw the rubber tips for the Xelentos on Beyer's EU site for sale as spares, but no wax guards. Does anyone know a dealer for the Xelento's in HKG? I'd like to listen to a pair and also see if I can secure a source for the grills. I think the form factor is identical. Jaben is a Beyer dealer, but they don't stock them. Feel free to PM me. I'm unsure of the rules and etiquette re: discussing retailers.

Thanks in advance.

PS - FWIW on certain DAPs, I agree the bass on the AKs can sometimes be a bit too much. They're great (oddly enough) out of an iPhone 6+ for R&B, Rap and other styles where you need the bass, but the quality of the bass is not paramount. Given the (relatively) low impedance, it's tough to use them with any source not set up for IEMs or other portables.

Try sim city in Mongkok, or golden shopping center in SSP, I know they had the Xelento for testing, as I tested them before, or you can contact BD authorized distributor in Kwai Chung, they supplied all BD stuff to shops, I can post their details tmr if you need them, and they do stock spares for the Xelento.

Jul 20, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,013 of 2,944
Try sim city in Mongkok, or golden shopping center in SSP, I know they had the Xelento for testing, as I tested them before, or you can contact BD authorized distributor in Kwai Chung, they supplied all BD stuff to shops, I can post their details tmr if you need them, and they do stock spares for the Xelento.

Greatly appreciated. I need to hop out to SSP tomorrow to grab an optical cable and a hard drive. If you'd be so kind as to PM or post the details for the BD distributor in Kwai Chung, I'd be grateful. Google is not my friend tonight.

-Cheers

Jul 20, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #1,014 of 2,944
The mesh grill from Xelento (identical to AKT8ie) has the spare number 928542
Get in touch with: SpareParts@beyerdynamic.de

Thank you very, very much!

You guys are awesome. I spent two days trying to track this stuff down. A simple post on Head-Fi and I have some options already.

Jul 20, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #1,015 of 2,944
Greatly appreciated. I need to hop out to SSP tomorrow to grab an optical cable and a hard drive. If you'd be so kind as to PM or post the details for the BD distributor in Kwai Chung, I'd be grateful. Google is not my friend tonight.

-Cheers
When I provide the address and telephone for you tmr, contact them about the grill for the Xelento, not AK, if they have it, all is good, in the worst case, they say they don't have them or can't get them, you have to email BD from the email posted above, and say you have contacted the sole distributor in Hong Kong, and say they won't provide them, BD Germany should refer you back to Hong Kong and they will also contact the sole distributor in Hong Kong, marketing department, and then, sole distributor in Hong Kong will email or contact you about the stock and price, if you agree, they will get them for you.

If you are visiting SSP, you have to go through the side to enter the mall, not the corner section, there you will find two shops, not sure the exact location, you have to search, but I can't be sure if they still have them as, this was quite a whiles.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #1,016 of 2,944
No need to wait, I forgot I posted the details before here, here it is.

Digipower
Telephone 34264033
Open 9:30-18:00 Mon- Fri

9556876.jpg

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #1,017 of 2,944
No need to wait, I forgot I posted the details before here, here it is.

Digipower
Telephone 34264033
Open 9:30-18:00 Mon- Fri

Thank you!

I am pretty sure I know exactly the places you're talking about in SSP. I get over there a decent amount. I go between there and Wan Chai for computer bits and some headphone fiddling. I got my iFi bits in Central. If I get to a Beyer dealer tomorrow, it will be a good excuse to see if I really want the T5Ps or not. I somehow keep gravitating to the Beyer house sound, and i need another closed-back.

Once again, thank you for the quick response. Hopefully I won't have to go back and forth with Beyer HQ and the distributor to get the parts, but I'm willing. I'll buy a bunch. Little buggers are way too tiny for me, and I'm sure to lose more. I'm going to stock up on the rubber tips too. I can get the Comply any time, but I switch tips based on how my ears are feeling and how long I need to have them in. Given the rubber tip's unique shape, if they stop supplying them, I'm out of luck. My second set is almost shot.

If you need a few as spares, I'd be happy to get a few to you.

BTW - I dig the cables you posted.

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #1,018 of 2,944
Thank you!

I am pretty sure I know exactly the places you're talking about in SSP. I get over there a decent amount. I go between there and Wan Chai for computer bits and some headphone fiddling. I got my iFi bits in Central. If I get to a Beyer dealer tomorrow, it will be a good excuse to see if I really want the T5Ps or not. I somehow keep gravitating to the Beyer house sound, and i need another closed-back.

Once again, thank you for the quick response. Hopefully I won't have to go back and forth with Beyer HQ and the distributor to get the parts, but I'm willing. I'll buy a bunch. Little buggers are way too tiny for me, and I'm sure to lose more. I'm going to stock up on the rubber tips too. I can get the Comply any time, but I switch tips based on how my ears are feeling and how long I need to have them in. Given the rubber tip's unique shape, if they stop supplying them, I'm out of luck. My second set is almost shot.

If you need a few as spares, I'd be happy to get a few to you.

BTW - I dig the cables you posted.

The cable is the first audio, made in Japan, with a pentaconn right angle OFC, the cable cost alone is HKD 1700 got it from SSP, else where cost HKD 2100, the plug and the labour cost is HKD 1018.

So that you know it, the BDX cable cost about HKD 900, but they gave me the wrong price and it cost me for the spare at HKD 380, but not anymore. The tips cost HKD 80 each pair, previously quoted me HKD 45, but I missed the chance to buy it, and they wouldn't let me have it for the lower price., you need to know before hand the size you want.

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #1,019 of 2,944
The cable is the first audio, made in Japan, with a pentaconn right angle OFC, the cable cost alone is HKD 1700 got it from SSP, else where cost HKD 2100, the plug and the labour cost is HKD 1018.

So that you know it, the BDX cable cost about HKD 900, but they gave me the wrong price and it cost me for the spare at HKD 380, but not anymore. The tips cost HKD 80 each pair, previously quoted me HKD 45, but I missed the chance to buy it, and they wouldn't let me have it for the lower price., you need to know before hand the size you want.

That seems reasonable. I've had a few cables built locally. You got a great price for the BDX :) I've only had two built with pentaconn. I needed a long(ish) balanced cable for a pair of Meze Classics to use with a Sony amp and I had a baby 2.5mm to pentaconn adapter built for the AKs rather than a full cable. I have absolutely no way to understand why, but running them balanced tames the bass (with my Sony DAC/AMP).

I have a feeling my original cables will need to be replaced soon. They get a lot of use in travel, and I'm constantly rolling and unrolling them to stuff them in the box or wrapping them around my phone or amp/DAC. I don't think I will get anything too exotic. I don't want a bulky cable, and I am pretty hard on these little guys. They certainly don't get treated with the respect they deserve.

I'm anxious to hear the Xelentos now.... Also, since they share parts, I can rotate based on the sound I want and DAP / Amp/DAC I use. I may grab the wireless cable as a spare just for fun if I can find one. These are my workhorses simply for comfort, non-flashy looks so I can wear them on the MTR and not look like a dolt, they're comfortable enough for me to fall asleep with .... (oh, and I think they sound pretty darn good too)

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #1,020 of 2,944
That seems reasonable. I've had a few cables built locally. You got a great price for the BDX :) I've only had two built with pentaconn. I needed a long(ish) balanced cable for a pair of Meze Classics to use with a Sony amp and I had a baby 2.5mm to pentaconn adapter built for the AKs rather than a full cable. I have absolutely no way to understand why, but running them balanced tames the bass (with my Sony DAC/AMP).

I have a feeling my original cables will need to be replaced soon. They get a lot of use in travel, and I'm constantly rolling and unrolling them to stuff them in the box or wrapping them around my phone or amp/DAC. I don't think I will get anything too exotic. I don't want a bulky cable, and I am pretty hard on these little guys. They certainly don't get treated with the respect they deserve.

I'm anxious to hear the Xelentos now.... Also, since they share parts, I can rotate based on the sound I want and DAP / Amp/DAC I use. I may grab the wireless cable as a spare just for fun if I can find one. These are my workhorses simply for comfort, non-flashy looks so I can wear them on the MTR and not look like a dolt, they're comfortable enough for me to fall asleep with .... (oh, and I think they sound pretty darn good too)
You might as wait for the Xelento then, the wireless one should be out soon, but the Xelento remote are pretty cheap in hong kong, just seen one week ago in MK for about HKD 6500 I think, MK underground audio mall, you know where it is, I'm sure there are many offers elsewhere.

BTW my cables was re-terminated in Japan, the plugs were also purchased in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back