Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Feb 16, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #783 of 2,949
You could ignore that little fact though, I have more devices and even bought new devices which rely on MicroUSB rather than Type-C simply becuase I couldn't find many that rely on Type-C

I'm the opposite, I refuse to buy devices without C and no longer own microusb devices to keep travelling lighter. As long as people keep buying them, they will still exist. I vote with my dollars when I can.

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #784 of 2,949
I'm the opposite, I refuse to buy devices without C and no longer own microusb devices to keep travelling lighter. As long as people keep buying them, they will still exist. I vote with my dollars when I can.

But, for example, I just bought T580 from Samsung, which is a nice tablet with nice vibrant colors. I think it was okay for it to come with microUSB in the long run , but I do like my smartphone having Type-C better.

I'm glad that drawing tablets now come with thunderbolt, but it is kinda idiotic that TB3 can only be half of a meter, so in the end you'll use an ugly converter from TB3 to USB and mDP, so yeah, I learned to put up with things :)

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #786 of 2,949
OT

You run a great blog and are a talented writer.

Thank you ~ :darthsmile:

It is amazing devices like Xelento that fuel me to write and share the fun of this hobby :L3000:

IMG_20170802_175523.jpg

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #787 of 2,949
Feb 25, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #788 of 2,949
Okay, I'm talking about the AK T8ie mkII rather than the Xelento, however - more people in this thread...

I'm used to slow burner products, things that grow on you, these hit me with a sledgehammer of happiness - only having had mine for 24hrs, has anyone had a honeymoon period that has worn off, or does the romance keep on flourishing?

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #789 of 2,949
I've tried xelento for less than 30 mins and think that it's amazing with pop music.
I didn't have enough time back there to try out more, and wondering if it perform well with edm, rock or even metal?

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #790 of 2,949
Duncan - I've got the Xelento, had them for a few months, beleive me, they just keep on giving....

Okay, I'm talking about the AK T8ie mkII rather than the Xelento, however - more people in this thread...

I'm used to slow burner products, things that grow on you, these hit me with a sledgehammer of happiness - only having had mine for 24hrs, has anyone had a honeymoon period that has worn off, or does the romance keep on flourishing?

Feb 25, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #791 of 2,949

I had an almost identical sledgehammer experience with the Xelentos. I don't know whether the burn-in is in my brain or in these IEMs, but over the last year they've just kept getting better. The only other non-electrostatic IEM that I've heard that (to my ears) can keep up with the Xelento is the FLC8S, but with some tuning configurations, the FLC8S can sound a little bright. The Xelento FR is just about perfect for my ears.

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #792 of 2,949
I just got a pair of Xelentos this weekend. Before I was using the T5P.2 but I had to return them since my ears got very hot very quickly when using them which made them quite uncomfortable for longer use. Of course this holds true for all closed-back headphones and isn't limited to the Beyers.

My first "hifi-fi" headphones were the Ultimate Ears triple.fi. However, I rarely ever used them. They were super picky about the source, but phones back in the day did not provide a low output impedance as did most soundcards. So I always had to carry around a portable headphone amp, which just sucked. More importantly they only sounded great with perfect seal, which was only achievable with foam tips. I hate foam tips. You have to squeeze them and fiddle around for a good fit, you can't just quickly pull them out because you have to talk to the cashier or the girlfriend or whatever, they get dirty and have to be replaced quite often. I also tried a couple of cheaper IEMs but I never got a good fit with silicon tips. They just kept getting loose. Also my ear canal starts hurting after a while since you have to insert them so deep.

For a year I was using the T90s, at least at home and the T51p for portable use. While not as bad as with closed-back headphones my ears got hot after a while on both of them and I never was really satisfied with either of these.

The T90 were great for their resolution but paired with an O2 the piercing heights were just getting annoying. They really pair well with a high impedance output like the Beyer A20 (tried this once) or with tubes (so I heard), but before spending that amount of money on an amp I could just get a headphone upgrade.
The T51p are very comfortable and have decent resolution for their build and price point, but they just overdid the bass. It's just too much for my taste.

Next in the list was a T5P.2. The sound of these is great. Resolution, bass impact, instrument separation are top-notch. But closed-back just aren't my thing.

The Xelentos are great. They just easily snug into my ear. They sound great with silicon tips. They stay in place even when I am walking around. They are comfortable since they don't require a perfect seal. They have shorter nozzles so they don't hurt.
Everything that sucks about IEMs the Xelentos do better.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #794 of 2,949
Not sure about the AK, but USD 999 for the Xelento is the announced original price, so you should be able to pick one up cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back