Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Feb 12, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #1,411 of 2,937
I put it's sound signature right next to AndromedaSS, different sound-sgs, but same level of performance, they compliment each other well!

So, the Andromeda S was one IEM that hit the sound I wanted with a level of comfort I couldn't stand (literal tears were shed. I can admit this now.). I know the Xelento will not have that negative, based on my T8ie II experience.

You had my interest, now you have my attention.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #1,412 of 2,937
So, the Andromeda S was one IEM that hit the sound I wanted with a level of comfort I couldn't stand (literal tears were shed. I can admit this now.). I know the Xelento will not have that negative, based on my T8ie II experience.

You had my interest, now you have my attention.
Comfit in terms of the fit? When I first got them the screw poked into my ear, until I realized I had them turned counterclockwise too much, and I roted them back, and now it's perfectly comfortable.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #1,413 of 2,937
Comfit in terms of the fit? When I first got them the screw poked into my ear, until I realized I had them turned counterclockwise too much, and I roted them back, and now it's perfectly comfortable.

No, it was more that. No matter how I placed the Andromeda S in my ear, my antitragus would hurt.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #1,414 of 2,937
No, it was more that. No matter how I placed the Andromeda S in my ear, my antitragus would hurt.
Ah, that's tough one...Well, the Xelentos are super comfortable, better than Shure's... (the Sure's are more snug, tho...)

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #1,415 of 2,937
Ah, that's tough one...Well, the Xelentos are super comfortable, better than Shure's... (the Sure's are more snug, tho...)

It's ok. No one's fault, really. Campfire did an amazing job with the tuning on the Andromeda S and it really hit my tastes better than the Zeus XRA. Xelento looks like it will hit a lot of my taste, and provide better future options than the Flares Gold, which I think had an extremely similar signature to the T8ie II.

The question, for me at least, is would you pay US $1199 or as I saw on Amazon yesterday, US $829 for the Xelento Wireless? I'm trying to figure that out. Naturally, I expect Amazon to be out of stock on the $829 one by the time I decide (and sell enough other iems, fwiw).

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #1,416 of 2,937
Badguygoodaudio put a video out today saying this fearless audio s6 is > then the andro ss and thats only 400 bucks, so im curious too what he says about the s10 which he says is coming in soon so im very interested in that review.

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #1,417 of 2,937
It's ok. No one's fault, really. Campfire did an amazing job with the tuning on the Andromeda S and it really hit my tastes better than the Zeus XRA. Xelento looks like it will hit a lot of my taste, and provide better future options than the Flares Gold, which I think had an extremely similar signature to the T8ie II.

The question, for me at least, is would you pay US $1199 or as I saw on Amazon yesterday, US $829 for the Xelento Wireless? I'm trying to figure that out. Naturally, I expect Amazon to be out of stock on the $829 one by the time I decide (and sell enough other iems, fwiw).
Well, wireless will never beat wired sound quality, plus im using it with 1000M, so it sounds phenomena.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #1,418 of 2,937
I am probably a bit out of the norm, though. I tried pretty much all of the TOTL IEMs at CanJam SoCal 2018 and the Xelento beat out every one except for (maybe) the JH Layla...
That's an impressive statement...

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #1,419 of 2,937
@ItsAllInMyHead did mention something that’s really important. In my day job, I’m a EE/test systems engineer; I’ve worked at time scales down to nanoseconds, and power levels from sub-microAmpere up through kiloWatt actuators. In my opinion, there is something to be said for using a single driver and not being at the mercy of the crossover circuit between different drivers. There are several reasons for this — it’s very hard to precisely match electronic components, so there’s likely to be some variance in the exact performance of the crossover; there are minute variations in driver compliance and response, so the relationship between drivers and crossovers can vary more than the performance of full-spectrum drivers (especially with a company like Beyerdynamic, who matches drivers with great precision before delivery); also, crossovers will have some frequency response variance based on things like input impedance, current level, etc.

All of this is just my opinion, though, and it’s not something I’ve actually run valid tests on.
What about distortion? Do cross-overs add to distortion?

Feb 14, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #1,420 of 2,937
Considered by whom? And what about the Shure electrostatic in-ears? Or the widely popular Keiser Encore?

I think statements like this are best avoided because they contribute to unsubstantiated hype, and may confuse less experienced buyers. Most of all, given enough time, human brain gets bored with any sound signature and needs a change and that's why this field is thriving.

Moreover I don't think a multi-driver can ever be "the best", because each driver's impedance curve is no longer influenced only by the output impedance of the amplifier, but all these drivers influence each other (through influencing the amp) based on how much power they are given at a certain frequency based on the cross-over network (so this will vary very wildly depending on used the amp characteristics and the sound volume level applied). So these kind of BA setups will sound super-interesting, but after some time your brain will probably demand more musical cohesion. Or not, and that's fine.

I love the immediacy/enveloping/precision of Xelento but my current goto is oBravo EAMT-1 c (electrostatic/dynamic two driver) as they fully emulate having big over-ear cans but without the big-can distance (and with the IEM immediacy/in-your-head feeling). But I love going back and forth to Xelento. Xelento's wear comfort is unbeatable I think.
The EAM-t's are 4 X's the price...

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #1,421 of 2,937
I’m planning to get a used xelento.. but before that, does it really have mmcx connector issue?

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,423 of 2,937
I’m planning to get a used xelento.. but before that, does it really have mmcx connector issue?
Any headphone that uses mmcx connectors can potentially have an mmcx connector issue :wink: mmcx just isn't as standard as some assume - there can be variations in the cable plugs. If you do have an issue, there's likely an easy fix though, by carefully taking some fine-grit sandpaper to your cable plugs (NOT to the Xelento itself). More details and a figure to explain this in my review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/be...ile-devices.22337/reviews?order=likes#reviews

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #1,424 of 2,937
Nope, I switch between LITZ balanced and unbalanced and never had an issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back