Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Aug 20, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #1,081 of 2,949
I should add to the above comments, sources and power can alter the sound of earphones.
My listening of the Atlas balanced with the DX200,amp8, which is a fairly strong setup. I haven't noticed the spike but I agree that ergonomics can be a challenge, one that I have mastered.
In my collection the Xelento and the Atlas live together, they have different takes on the sound that I equally enjoy.
I agree with the sentiment that Atlas and Xelento (mine T8ie) can live together.

I enjoy them both as much. It helps that I paid half as much for the T8ie vs the Atlas.

Aug 20, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #1,082 of 2,949
Hey all, would like to just clear the air on the recent DD comparisons.

RE: the EX1000, it is imperative that one gets a deep fit on these to reduce the treble resonance. Like ER4-levels of deep. Now, I understand that some ears are not able to achieve this so many will get an experience that's even harsher than usual. The EX1000 is not everyone's cup of tea (as is every single earphone out there, but moreso for the EX1000 due to its frankly unforgiving tuning) but the reason I rated it so highly was due to its high detailing, wide staging and pinpoint positional ability. Now, Sony kind of "cheated" its imaging with a more-or-less completely vented design and treble-biased signature to boost perceived clarity, but for those who have tried one I doubt there are many who would deny that it is a very good transducer.

RE: the Atlas, I'll have to admit that I didn't get as much ear time as I should have on these (about an hour of pure listening total spread across 3 or so sessions) but from what I can remember, my issues with the Atlas had a "dirty" bass boost and detailing that didn't really dig beneath surface level. Again, my rankings are always subject to change (though changes are usually never beyond 1-2 tiers) so rest assured I'll have another go at it in the near future.

Aug 20, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #1,083 of 2,949
TBH I will take any review or comment as a pinch of salt, it's best to try them with your own ears, as some has mentioned, everyone hears it differently.

I was one of the first to own the Xelento, and I really like it, along with the full range of the EX Monitors series minus the MDR EX7550, but that is the international version of the MDR EX800ST. this is my preference on these IEM that I own and I switch them over to use in turn.

Xelento 1.5 years
MDR EX600 over 6 years
MDR EX1000 9 Months
MDR EX800ST 4 Years

Aug 20, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #1,084 of 2,949
Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised to see that you like the EX600 the best amongst the Sonys. I had expected the EX600 would be similar to the EX800ST. Can you comment on the differences?

The EX600 seems to be the hardest to buy now, so I don't know that I'd chase them down, but I'm curious to understand what I'm missing.

TBH I will take any review or comment as a pinch of salt, it's best to try them with your own ears, as some has mentioned, everyone hears it differently.

I was one of the first to own the Xelento, and I really like it, along with the full range of the EX Monitors series minus the MDR EX7550, but that is the international version of the MDR EX800ST. this is my preference on these IEM that I own and I switch them over to use in turn.

Xelento 1.5 years
MDR EX600 over 6 years
MDR EX1000 9 Months
MDR EX800ST 4 Years

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #1,086 of 2,949

Xelento 1.5 years
MDR EX600 over 6 years
MDR EX1000 9 Months
MDR EX800ST 4 Years

1st I buy a 2nd ex1000, then, I buy a xelento. Glad I think I've found a companion to my ex1000 thru your posts here and the zx300/ex1000 threads. I don't really see another in ear option that would be a good stable mate besides maybe the andromeda, but the xelento seems a better fit for me. Thanks for the comparisons again, helps me know I'm on the right track.

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #1,087 of 2,949
Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised to see that you like the EX600 the best amongst the Sonys. I had expected the EX600 would be similar to the EX800ST. Can you comment on the differences?

The EX600 seems to be the hardest to buy now, so I don't know that I'd chase them down, but I'm curious to understand what I'm missing.
Here are my conclusion. The BD Xelento is the best of them all because, the SQ is clearly superior to the rest, and most important, it's very convenient on the move, the EX series lose out because it's kind of flimsy on the move with the ear hook and storage, I use the original case, all my IEM are like new, even with those after years of use. Why I like the EX600 over the EX800ST and EX1000, I like voice or vocal and ballade music the most, the EX600 produces those crystal clear compare to the others as it has less bass, but since I do use the RK EX1000 cable re-terminated to Balanced, it does add a little bass and better separation, and whiles the EX800ST is good, using a custom cable or the RK EX1000 cable, the SQ is in fact worse, especially using the ZX300.

I mean, this is of course my personal opinion, and everyone hears them differently.

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #1,088 of 2,949
1st I buy a 2nd ex1000, then, I buy a xelento. Glad I think I've found a companion to my ex1000 thru your posts here and the zx300/ex1000 threads. I don't really see another in ear option that would be a good stable mate besides maybe the andromeda, but the xelento seems a better fit for me. Thanks for the comparisons again, helps me know I'm on the right track.
You need to hurry, the EX1000 I think has been discontinued worldwide, and I think now it's also in Japan, Sony are soon to release a few high end IEM, and Hong Kong is the first place to release them, the new IEM are listed in Sony HK site, but not Sony Japan.

And prices are getting higher now, with a few still as low as 35000 yen.

Aug 22, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #1,089 of 2,949
I would also add that tonality is not everything during the selection of IEMs. Of course it should be something like 80% (again subjective) of the personal evaluation criteria but what I also find important is comfort and man are Xelentos comfortable! I haven't seen comparable big silicone eartips with any other IEMs. For me personally they have improved the IEM experience so far that I now usually prefer IEMs over Overear at home too.

Also I would not put much hope into the wireless version, I am a little bit skeptical that the small dongle will be able to house decent DAC/AMP. I would rather recommend something like Shanling M0 (and M5s in the future) or Radsone EarStudio to act as portable DAC/transport for bluetooth connectivity.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #1,090 of 2,949
I would also add that tonality is not everything during the selection of IEMs. Of course it should be something like 80% (again subjective) of the personal evaluation criteria but what I also find important is comfort and man are Xelentos comfortable! I haven't seen comparable big silicone eartips with any other IEMs. For me personally they have improved the IEM experience so far that I now usually prefer IEMs over Overear at home too.

Also I would not put much hope into the wireless version, I am a little bit skeptical that the small dongle will be able to house decent DAC/AMP. I would rather recommend something like Shanling M0 (and M5s in the future) or Radsone EarStudio to act as portable DAC/transport for bluetooth connectivity.
I agree, get the Shanling, probably much cheaper, more functions and it's a stand along DAP and DAC, and you get more colors to choose from.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #1,091 of 2,949
I agree, get the Shanling, probably much cheaper, more functions and it's a stand along DAP and DAC, and you get more colors to choose from.
I also agree and have been saying this for a while. You can't go wrong with the M0. It's s great little DAP and its LDAC BT sound quality is really good - the best I've heard from a Bluetooth device. And it's two-way - transmit or receive :)

Aug 26, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #1,092 of 2,949
Formidable combo: iDSD + Bayerdynamic Xelento

Source: TIDAL master

The Xelento allows to listen on "head enveloping" volume levels for long time without ear fatigue. Can't say that about e.g. Utopia, or any speaker system for that matter. Fantastic balance, dynamics and resolution and they are so tiny that you could rest your head on a side on a pillow without even squashing the sound stage.

Cross-post from another thread. Loving these buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back