Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Aug 14, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #1,066 of 2,949
Sound like you prefer T8ie. Do update on your finding.
I took out all my boxes and cables just now.

Atlas with stock silver cable
T8ie with stock balance cable

I take back what I said about the stock cable for the T8ie. This pairs up much better than the silver cable from the Atlas. The silver cable from the Atlas makes the T8ie sound very thin. Not sure why I didn't hear this much detail as before when I tried it.

Bass impact on both are from 1 to 10 (10 being powerful), Atlas 9 and T8ie 8.

Details of bass goes to the Atlas as well.

Vocals on the T8ie are placed more forward than the Atlas.

Atlas seems to have wider soundstage. So much air.

Overall, for casual listening I prefer BOTH :)

They're just perfect for the type of music I listen to, which are rock, EDM, Jazz, pop and hip hop.

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #1,067 of 2,949
I took out all my boxes and cables just now.

Atlas with stock silver cable
T8ie with stock balance cable

I take back what I said about the stock cable for the T8ie. This pairs up much better than the silver cable from the Atlas. The silver cable from the Atlas makes the T8ie sound very thin. Not sure why I didn't hear this much detail as before when I tried it.

Bass impact on both are from 1 to 10 (10 being powerful), Atlas 9 and T8ie 8.

Details of bass goes to the Atlas as well.

Vocals on the T8ie are placed more forward than the Atlas.

Atlas seems to have wider soundstage. So much air.

Overall, for casual listening I prefer BOTH :)

They're just perfect for the type of music I listen to, which are rock, EDM, Jazz, pop and hip hop.
Guess there’s no loser here. Personally I prefer more upfront mid. Thanks for the quick comparison.

Thanks, that’s great set of comparison with many TOTL iems.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,068 of 2,949
The Xelento are currently on sale on Amazon.ca at 1000$cad (760$us).
I jumped on this last weekend (currently have 846s), and promptly ordered a 4.4mm TRRRS cable from PlusSound to go with my soon to be delivered ZX300.

Until then I will use with with my PlusSound TRRS cable and ZX2.

The Xelentos got delivered today but I don’t return home till Friday.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #1,069 of 2,949
Does anyone know when will Beyer finally release the Xelento Wireless (the Bluetooth one) into the wild? Despite the fact that there are already some reviews on the net, the wireless version is still nowhere to be seen, at least in Hong Kong...
Hi,
Contacted Beyerdynamic Germany on this and the statement given was the Xelento wireless would be available in October 2018, with a wireless kit available for Xelento remote owners shortly thereafter (why kit I didn't understand, surely you can just buy the wireless cable as a spare. Beyerdynamic are generally good at making replacement parts available via distributors). Worth mentioning though that I have been given availabilty daes by UK distributor before that turned out to be untrue.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #1,070 of 2,949
1EBD9691-5946-45F1-A20D-E1A628BC33DB.png
Apologies if this is already in the thread somewhere. Is anyone using balanced cables with the Xelento? If so would you mind sharing details? Thanks.
Thanks for the various suggestions and advice. I took a punt on this, partly because one of the reviewers uses it with the X.

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #1,071 of 2,949
Hi,
Contacted Beyerdynamic Germany on this and the statement given was the Xelento wireless would be available in October 2018, with a wireless kit available for Xelento remote owners shortly thereafter (why kit I didn't understand, surely you can just buy the wireless cable as a spare. Beyerdynamic are generally good at making replacement parts available via distributors). Worth mentioning though that I have been given availabilty daes by UK distributor before that turned out to be untrue.

After the many delays, I'm not holding my breath. I bought Andromedas in the meanwhile, though maybe I'll get the Xelentos someday.

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #1,072 of 2,949
Just a preliminary listen to the Xelentos and my subjective (not quantifiable) perception is that they have a wider sound-stage than the 846s (non-modded blue filters which I've been using since late-2013). Prior to that I was using 535s and orig. UE Triple-FIs.

I do like the Xelento's form-factor being smaller than the 846s (though I plan to keep the 846s as well).

Currently using a PlusSound Poetic Series TRRS cable, small comply's with my ZX2.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #1,073 of 2,949
I used 846 too and the biggest difference for me was the fit. It took me minutes to put Sure in place to get the best seal but with Xelentos and big silicone eartips it's just instant. This makes huge difference in daily use.

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #1,075 of 2,949
Any thoughts on crinacle’s latest ratings of IEMs where the Sony MDR-EX1000 was rated higher than the Xelento and the Sony MDR-7550 was rated almost as good (and equal to the CA Atlas)?

The Xelento has long been on my list, though I’ve been waiting for the wireless version. In the meanwhile, I’ve been hankering for a DD IEM and the Sonys look like a good option.

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #1,076 of 2,949
Any thoughts on crinacle’s latest ratings of IEMs where the Sony MDR-EX1000 was rated higher than the Xelento and the Sony MDR-7550 was rated almost as good (and equal to the CA Atlas)?
Crinacle, who I have total respect for, as he is doing an incredible task, does not have mine or your ears.
We all hear differently.

That said, he is using store demo's with the supplied eartips, and limited time to audition each. HIs ratings are not written in stone.

Personally, as a happy owner of all the earphones you just mentioned, would put them in this ranking:
Atlas (A+ rating ), Xelanto (A), Ex1000 ( A-), 7550 (A- or B+ (been awhile since I listened to these).
I also would move the UM Me.1 up to at least an A. I think he has it as a C.

I find it interesting that almost all other reviewers, when comparing to the Atlas to the Vega, say that the Atlas is an improvement. I've never heard the Vega so I can't comment, but I have heard pretty much most of the 64Audio stuff, and a few other top iem's. I agree, mostly, with his assessment of the 64ears, but disagree with quite a few of his other ratings.

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #1,077 of 2,949

The Xelento has long been on my list, though I’ve been waiting for the wireless version. In the meanwhile, I’ve been hankering for a DD IEM and the Sonys look like a good option.
I respect what crinacle is doing with his measurements. (I've used his portable setup, and it works great!) But I think the whole concept
of producing a ranking is extremely difficult, and maybe even inherently flawed. Even if everybody had the exact same hearing and ear anatomy, there could be so many possible variations as a result of different eartips, source files, DACs, amps, etc. I haven't heard those particular Sony IEMs, but I've heard many of the other IEMs on his list and to my ears it sounds like some of them have just been thrown up there in random order - at least, nothing close to the order I'd have ranked them in. There's no good substitute for doing your own listening tests :)

P.S. IMHO, the CA Atlas isn't a serious competitor to the Xelento. Too much low end and an outrageous spike at 11 kHz. Plus worse ergonomics. And it's more expensive.

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #1,078 of 2,949
Thanks for the feedback, @Carlsan and @csglinux.

Considering that I was able to get the MDR7550 for about $185 with the discounts on Amazon, and the EX1000 for $378 on eBay from a reputable seller, if crinacle's reviews are even close, it's still a bargain to get them both for~$563. I figured if I just got one or the the other, I'd be eternally curious how the other compared since it seems many people are torn on which they prefer.

I’m still unsure what to make of the Vega and Atlas since opinions vary greatly between the two. The Xelento seem a safer bet.

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #1,079 of 2,949
I should add to the above comments, sources and power can alter the sound of earphones.
My listening of the Atlas balanced with the DX200,amp8, which is a fairly strong setup. I haven't noticed the spike but I agree that ergonomics can be a challenge, one that I have mastered.
In my collection the Xelento and the Atlas live together, they have different takes on the sound that I equally enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back