Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Aug 9, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #1,051 of 2,944
No I don't already have the wired version, but I like the Beyer sound and am interested in the Xelento for a while. Since the Bluetooth wireless version has been announced for more than a year I have been waiting to get one, if not for the wireless module for those times convenience is more important, but also for the flexibility when I can easily swap them out for wired use with my own MMCX cables for maximum quality. If there is no wireless version of the Xelento, I would have gone for the Final E5000 for almost 1/3 of the cost. Both are DD designs and this is what I am most interested in (already own the Shure SE846 with quad BA drivers).

I didn’t care for the Final sound nearly as much as the Xelento, but my ears may be weird. There’s a liveliness to the Xelento that was hard to match... I think the closest was when I took a set of JH Layla’s and managed to get the bass tuned exactly to my preferences — but that’s a $3k headphone.

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #1,052 of 2,944
I didn’t care for the Final sound nearly as much as the Xelento, but my ears may be weird. There’s a liveliness to the Xelento that was hard to match... I think the closest was when I took a set of JH Layla’s and managed to get the bass tuned exactly to my preferences — but that’s a $3k headphone.

totally agree with you. I sold my laylas’ after i got my xelento. thats what i call value!

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #1,053 of 2,944
No I don't already have the wired version, but I like the Beyer sound and am interested in the Xelento for a while. Since the Bluetooth wireless version has been announced for more than a year I have been waiting to get one, if not for the wireless module for those times convenience is more important, but also for the flexibility when I can easily swap them out for wired use with my own MMCX cables for maximum quality. If there is no wireless version of the Xelento, I would have gone for the Final E5000 for almost 1/3 of the cost. Both are DD designs and this is what I am most interested in (already own the Shure SE846 with quad BA drivers).
I just want to agree with what the others have said. The Xelento is a remarkably good-sounding IEM. It beats (or competes with) anything out there, IMHO (including the most-expensive over-ear cans). Just because another headphone also uses a single DD, it doesn't mean it's going to sound as good as the Xelentos. I'd concentrate on getting a wired headphone you're happy with first, and then, if you really want to degrade your audio quality by using Bluetooth, at least you'll have the option of getting the best possible quality BT receiver that will do the least amount of damage. (The LDAC receiver mode in Shanling's M0 is very close to wired SQ. The M0 is also a DAP and an external DAC - all for about 100 USD. It's the audio bargain of the century, IMHO.) Buying a BT headphone is always going to be a compromise, because it's pretty unlikely that the headphone drivers and associated BT receiver circuitry are all state-of-the-art, TOTL components. In most BT headphones, all components are compromises. (Which makes sense from a sales/costs perspective - because nobody expects a BT headphone to sound perfect.)

Back to your potential Xelento purchase though... If you already own the SE846, you might want to check out the various filter mods for it first:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/

With the right tweaks ('trishd' mod + wide-bore silicone tips), you can tune the SE846 to get really, really close to the frequency response of the Xelentos. Close enough that (depending on your finances) it might not justify buying the Xelentos. I prefer the Xelentos in a quiet environment, but if I need isolation, I would still go for my SE846.

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #1,056 of 2,944
I agree on all those points :) But with the right tuning filters and wide-bore, flaring silicone tips, the SE846 can get very close to the Xelento.

I agree.I did tuning a little when i had my se846.But i ended up destroing the silicon rings,and had to send them in for repair.I like that the xelentos have great sound right out of the box.Only have to find the right ear tip :)

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #1,059 of 2,944
Apologies if this is already in the thread somewhere. Is anyone using balanced cables with the Xelento? If so would you mind sharing details? Thanks.
I'm using ibasso CB12 balanced on the T8ie mk2

I like it better than the original cables

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #1,060 of 2,944
Anyone compared this to Atlas?

Long timer here and one lesson is that there’s lots of hype train and fanboys around here.

Was using CIEM from UM, Mage, for past 8 years (!) and very content with it. (Un)fortunately recently got a great deal on Xelento and bought it without reading much reviews. It sound big, marvellous and excellent, just like from the review. Much better than other TOTL from other big CIEM brands I auditioned which doesn’t tip me over from upgrading. However upon reading more, Atlas seem like either a minor upgrade or sidestepping. I’m intrigued. Damn Head-Fi, I thought I’m done.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #1,062 of 2,944
Anyone compared this to Atlas?

Long timer here and one lesson is that there’s lots of hype train and fanboys around here.

Was using CIEM from UM, Mage, for past 8 years (!) and very content with it. (Un)fortunately recently got a great deal on Xelento and bought it without reading much reviews. It sound big, marvellous and excellent, just like from the review. Much better than other TOTL from other big CIEM brands I auditioned which doesn’t tip me over from upgrading. However upon reading more, Atlas seem like either a minor upgrade or sidestepping. I’m intrigued. Damn Head-Fi, I thought I’m done.

I currently have both the Atlas and the T8ie Mk2. I paired both with the Hiby R6 and same Alo silver cable to find differences.

Atlas has deeper and more impactful bass and is more detailed. T8ie has warmer vocals, which I like.
Fit is much better with the T8ie. I've never gotten ear fatigue with them. Just for some reason the higher frequencies fall off faster on the T8ie compared to the Atlas. I probably need to listen to them for a few more hours to compare.

Thank you. Are they identical in terms of cable compatibility? I had thought there were some small differences.

Not really an issue with compatability. The CB12 cable is a hybrid (4 cores of copper and 4 silver). I think it helps open up the vocals a bit more and tames the bass a little, making the T8ie almost balanced. Still V shape though :)

I just don't like the stock cable since it tends to tangle. And I definitely can hear more details with the CB12 and the ALO silver cable.

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #1,063 of 2,944
I currently have both the Atlas and the T8ie Mk2. I paired both with the Hiby R6 and same Alo silver cable to find differences.

Atlas has deeper and more impactful bass and is more detailed. T8ie has warmer vocals, which I like.
Fit is much better with the T8ie. I've never gotten ear fatigue with them. Just for some reason the higher frequencies fall off faster on the T8ie compared to the Atlas. I probably need to listen to them for a few more hours to compare.

Sound like you prefer T8ie. Do update on your finding.

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #1,065 of 2,944
Apologies if this is already in the thread somewhere. Is anyone using balanced cables with the Xelento? If so would you mind sharing details? Thanks.

I'm using this on my Xelentos : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top...798.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dtrCoeW , terminated with a 4.4mm jack for the Sony ZX300a.

It's very thin and light, and matches well with them (I tried a few others which were too heavy and thick, and ended up pulling them out of my ears - this does not do that, and sounds very good, to my ears). It's expensive, but on occasions you get a good discount (11.11, some other Chinese holidays) - I think I bought it with a 30% or 40% discount, if memory serves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back