Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Oct 25, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #2,476 of 2,937
I bought the Xelento Gen 2 eartips to try them with the Xelento Gen 1 ... They are a bit more conventional shape then the former Dark Vador's helmet, though they are still oval and shaped to fit perfectly around the drivers, so seal is really very good and maybe they can be inserted just a bit deeper in the ear canal and so stay better in this position.
I am not sure there is any improvement in sound quality, but with the Xelento Gen 1, it's like a step in comfort and they seem to stay easier in the same place, so worth to pay for it.

I was looking to try to buy the new Balanced Cable of the Xelento Gen 2, but I couldn't find it.. I like such mmcx connector's shape, which doesn't exist anywhere else..
Now I am waiting to see the frequency response of the Gen 2 compared to the Gen 1 to see if there is any improvement in mid high and high frequencies. If there are some, I think I will pull the trigger for the Gen 2.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #2,477 of 2,937
Now I am waiting to see the frequency response of the Gen 2 compared to the Gen 1 to see if there is any improvement in mid high and high frequencies. If there are some, I think I will pull the trigger for the Gen 2.
Same here. I wrote an email to the Beyerdynamics support asking for the graph but they won't come out with it.

Oct 25, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #2,478 of 2,937
I was looking to try to buy the new Balanced Cable of the Xelento Gen 2, but I couldn't find it.. I like such mmcx connector's shape, which doesn't exist anywhere else..
It sort of does, I use this cable with mine (2.5mm version):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08635SF8J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Its a lot thicker and heaver than the standard cable but it does work well for me if I use foam ear tips, the cable pulls the IEM out of my ear due to the extra weight if I use the included silicone tips.

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #2,479 of 2,937
After my first night with the Xelento I think they're excellent - so much detail, hearing extra layers in the mix I haven't appreciated before on many recordings and of course that great bass, which doesn't interfere with the rest of the frequency range. I'd like to echo the reviews which say that it often feels like the sound is coming outside of your head. I find they encourage me stop thinking and listen to the music, as newly revealed deatils catch me off guard and call for attention. I'd say their sound signature is neutral but not sterile. Very engaging but still easy to listen to, neither too warm, nor too cold - balanced. What beyerdynamic does at their best, in the smallest package possible. I agree with the WhatHiFi review - I experienced no initial WOW factor, which would likely become fatiguing with time, they're more refined and subtle than that. When you settle down and allow yourself to just listen the excellent sound quality is there waiting for you to reveal itself.

After seeing close up pictures of the Xelento in detail I couldn't believe how tiny they are in person. My ears have an angled canal/wall at the front so no IEM will sit very deep, the small form of the Xelento helps them to not stick out as much as other IEMs so I can comfortably lay on a pillow and revel in the sound. I couldn't get anywhere near a good seal with the supplied silicone tips, which I'm not surprised by as never have and probably never will be able to use silicone, so have settled on what I've used with previous IEMs - the large Comply foams, without which there is almost no bass or isolation.

The provided cable is very supple and lightweight, the 3.5mm is a noticeably solid connection, and the MMCX connectors with the curved tips for a smooth integration with the ear piece are a good fit. I did find the left cable/ear piece clicked together and the right side didn't have the same reassuring click, although it seems to be well connected regardless. The right side also has two reference dots of where to connect and position the cable, however as both sides of the cable swivel easily when connected I'm not sure it will stay where intended. The magnetically clasped carry case they come with is is lovely quality and functional, with two little cups to keep the ear pieces separate along with a storage box for spare tips, both of which were removed from the Gen2 case. The original black faceplate also looks less like jewellery compared to the Gen2 with its polished chrome and 24k gold faceplate, which for me is a good thing for a portable.

As good as they really do sound I don't think £1k is a good price to be honest. The potential diminishing returns above midrange pricing make me have doubts whether anything much above £500 is a fair price for this or any headphone, although this is my first time trying £1k headgear. I had my ear to the ground as the price dropped on the remaining stock of original Xelentos due to the Gen2 release. I don't believe it's possible the Gen2, at twice the price I picked up the OG Xelento for, will sound twice as good.

If you can pick them up near a mid range price I feel the OG Xelento are worth it for the sound, build quality and the accessories.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #2,480 of 2,937
After my first night with the Xelento I think they're excellent - lots of detail, hearing extra layers in the mix I haven't appreciated before on many recordings and of course that great bass! I'd like to echo the reviews which say that it really does often feel like the sound is coming outside of your head. They make you stop thinking and pay attention to the music as it sounds so good. I'd say their sound signature is neutral but not sterile. Very engaging but still easy to listen to, neither too warm, nor too cold - balanced. What beyerdynamic does at their best, in the smallest package possible. I agree with the WhatHiFi review, there is no initial WOW factor, which would likely become fatiguing with time, they're more refined and subtle than that. When you settle down and listen the excellent sound quality is there waiting for you and reveals itself.

After seeing close up pictures of the Xelento in detail I couldn't believe how tiny they are in person. My ears have an angled canal/wall at the front so no IEM will sit very deep, this small form helps them to not stick out as much as other IEMs. I couldn't get anywhere near a good seal with the supplied silicone tips unfortunately, which I'm not surprised by as never have and probably never will be able to use silicone, so have settled on what I used with previous IEMs - the large Comply foams, without which there is almost no bass or isolation. I guess I better invest in some Comply stocks, although will try the Dekoni foam tips I have later... The provided cable is very supple and lightweight, thec3.5mm is a noticeably solid connection, and the MMCX connectors with the curved tips for a smooth integration with the ear piece is a good fit. I did find the left cable/ear piece clicked together and the right side didn't have the same reassuring click, although it seems to be well fixed in place regardless. The magnetically clasped carry case they come with is lovely, with two little cups to keep the ear pieces separate along with a storage box for spare tips, both of which were removed for the Gen2.

I'm glad I had my ear to the ground as the price dropped on the last original units, due to the Gen2 release. As good as they really do sound I don't think £1k is a good price to be honest for almost any headphone and don't believe it's possible the Gen2, at twice the price I picked up the OG Xelento for, will sound twice as good. The original black faceplate also looks less like jewellery, which for me is a good thing for a portable.

My suggestion is if you can get near a mid range price the OG Xelento are definitely worth it for the sound, build quality and the accessories.
where did you find the last gen unit?

Oct 27, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #2,481 of 2,937
I'm in the UK, the main beyer supplier here who were first to get the Gen2, listed their last two (now one) OG Xelentos for a reduced price on ebay. Amazon have in turn matched the price, although being aware there are dodgy fake Xelentos around I would only go with an official supplier.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #2,483 of 2,937
Oct 27, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #2,484 of 2,937
After my first night with the Xelento I think they're excellent - so much detail, hearing extra layers in the mix I haven't appreciated before on many recordings and of course that great bass, which doesn't interfere with the rest of the frequency range. I'd like to echo the reviews which say that it often feels like the sound is coming outside of your head. I find they encourage me stop thinking and listen to the music, as newly revealed deatils catch me off guard and call for attention. I'd say their sound signature is neutral but not sterile. Very engaging but still easy to listen to, neither too warm, nor too cold - balanced. What beyerdynamic does at their best, in the smallest package possible. I agree with the WhatHiFi review - I experienced no initial WOW factor, which would likely become fatiguing with time, they're more refined and subtle than that. When you settle down and allow yourself to just listen the excellent sound quality is there waiting for you to reveal itself.

After seeing close up pictures of the Xelento in detail I couldn't believe how tiny they are in person. My ears have an angled canal/wall at the front so no IEM will sit very deep, the small form of the Xelento helps them to not stick out as much as other IEMs so I can comfortably lay on a pillow and revel in the sound. I couldn't get anywhere near a good seal with the supplied silicone tips, which I'm not surprised by as never have and probably never will be able to use silicone, so have settled on what I've used with previous IEMs - the large Comply foams, without which there is almost no bass or isolation.

The provided cable is very supple and lightweight, the 3.5mm is a noticeably solid connection, and the MMCX connectors with the curved tips for a smooth integration with the ear piece are a good fit. I did find the left cable/ear piece clicked together and the right side didn't have the same reassuring click, although it seems to be well connected regardless. The right side also has two reference dots of where to connect and position the cable, however as both sides of the cable swivel easily when connected I'm not sure it will stay where intended. The magnetically clasped carry case they come with is is lovely quality and functional, with two little cups to keep the ear pieces separate along with a storage box for spare tips, both of which were removed from the Gen2 case. The original black faceplate also looks less like jewellery compared to the Gen2 with its polished chrome and 24k gold faceplate, which for me is a good thing for a portable.

As good as they really do sound I don't think £1k is a good price to be honest. The potential diminishing returns above midrange pricing make me have doubts whether anything much above £500 is a fair price for this or any headphone, although this is my first time trying £1k headgear. I had my ear to the ground as the price dropped on the remaining stock of original Xelentos due to the Gen2 release. I don't believe it's possible the Gen2, at twice the price I picked up the OG Xelento for, will sound twice as good.

If you can pick them up near a mid range price I feel the OG Xelento are worth it for the sound, build quality and the accessories.

Xelento OG were really excellent, so headphone like experience.
I hope Beyer would produce a Xelento headphone : as much as I wanted to love them, I was so disappointed by their latest T1.3

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #2,485 of 2,937
I picked up my 1st gen for $400 at the airport in Frankfurt last month. I needed wired headphones for my flight back to the states. They sound clearer, more dynamic, better bass than my Shure 595’s and Westone W60’s. Really happy with my impulse buy. I replaced the cable with interchangeable FIIO cables so I can easily listen to them balanced and unbalanced.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #2,486 of 2,937
I picked up my 1st gen for $400 at the airport in Frankfurt last month. I needed wired headphones for my flight back to the states. They sound clearer, more dynamic, better bass than my Shure 595’s and Westone W60’s. Really happy with my impulse buy. I replaced the cable with interchangeable FIIO cables so I can easily listen to them balanced and unbalanced.
You got a steal of a deal! Enjoy!

Oct 27, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #2,487 of 2,937
Is 250$ ok price for used Xelento?
Who's selling it. Ask for a picture of the serial numbers. if the serial no is in this format "no. 4567940 " up are likely on the right track and for $250 that's pretty amazing. If the serial is NO 4567940 its a fake

Oct 29, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #2,488 of 2,937
TBH I can’t comment on what the customer service said, the photo I posted was taken just for you, those are the tips out of the box, they have not been touched and used, the photo speak for them selves.

Another photo of the manual.

image.jpg
Strange, the manual I have says TX-500, although there is little difference between the internal diameter.

Attachments

• 20221027_180729.jpg
    20221027_180729.jpg
    724.2 KB · Views: 0
  • comply-foam-eartips-t-series-tx-series-tsx-series-hifigo-643811_840x719.jpg
    comply-foam-eartips-t-series-tx-series-tsx-series-hifigo-643811_840x719.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back