Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Oct 17, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #2,447 of 2,944
Damn! :frowning2:

I would love to turn them into True Wireless buds once a manufacturer finally releases a pair of decent adapters...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 18-10-13 Can cables from other manufacturers also be used on the XELE...png
    Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 18-10-13 Can cables from other manufacturers also be used on the XELE...png
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
Oct 17, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #2,448 of 2,944
Here's a further explanation from BeyerDynamic about the tuning difference between the 1st and 2nd gen. I never tried the 1st so this doesn't tell me that much. But it does sound pretty good for the type of music I mostly listen to.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 18-12-36 How do XELENTO of the 1st and 2nd generation differ in terms...png
    Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 18-12-36 How do XELENTO of the 1st and 2nd generation differ in terms...png
    71.6 KB · Views: 0
Oct 17, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #2,450 of 2,944
I would love to turn them into True Wireless buds once a manufacturer finally releases a pair of decent adapters...
Yeah, I was kind of hoping they'd do that with these in much the same way Shure did with their (relatively excellent) TWS-2 adapters. I guess Beyer chose a neckband given the battery life and DAC gains (eg. being able to plug in a USB-C cable and listen that way, as opposed to having to put earpieces back into a case to charge them). Also worth noting that since the Xelento are vented DDs with a fairly shallow fit, they don't isolate particularly well, so they probably wouldn't be too ideal for the kind of portable listening that true wireless sets are intended for.

Still though... we can dream :relieved:
Here's a further explanation from BeyerDynamic about the tuning difference between the 1st and 2nd gen. I never tried the 1st so this doesn't tell me that much. But it does sound pretty good for the type of music I mostly listen to.
This gives me hope for a few reasons: as @mainguy mentioned earlier the tuning is already wonderful so they shouldn't lose that, though a smoother treble range/extension could be quite nice for longer listening sessions. Also, the flatter/more natural midrange is a descriptor they used for their recent T1/T5 3rd generation headphones, and given that (in my opinion) the midrange of the T5 is quite nice, it would be great if the Xelento also benefitted from a slightly more present yet natural midrange presence.

Oct 17, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #2,451 of 2,944
Damn! :frowning2:

Fiio sells an ultrashort MMCX Cable and I had one made by XINHS.
Then with that short cable, I connect to a Shanling UP5 to which I have attached a name badge magnet. Of course any BT receiver will work but this way I get long battery life, excellent sound, every codec one can imagine, and complete flexibility as to where I attach the receiver. When I'm cycling, I attach it behind my shoulder so that no cable is in my way. Other times I attach it to the inside of my jacket and out of the way. And if I want to stick in my pocket, I just remove the magnet and its much slimmer that having a case and belt loop attached to it.

Attachments

• IMG_20221017_160925.jpg
    IMG_20221017_160925.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221017_161012-3.jpg
    IMG_20221017_161012-3.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 0
Oct 18, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #2,452 of 2,944
And the Xelento 2 is ordered! Excited.

Oct 19, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #2,455 of 2,944
Pretty positive review from "Passion for sound" He perfered these over the IE-900/IE-600! :D

I never heard the 600, but spent a couple of hours with IE900 and couldn't stand them. To me they were way too Deep V. I didn't even bother trying any critical listening or A/B comparing them - just dismissed them for my uses. The only thing I liked about them was the form factor. I loved the OG Xelento and literally minutes ago got the tracking number for Gen 2. Honestly I can't wait. I've got several units in my collection that are technical and some that are both technical and musical but I'm really looking forward to what I believe will be Xelento Gen 2 - Musical, detailed and easy to wear and just kick back & listen to with an immersive presentation.
They are coming from NJ and I'm north of Seattle in Canada so with weekend and Customs Clearance they're probably a week away but I'm really excited to get these!
BTW, I picked them up at Bloom Audio because theirs was the first post I saw here on HF. It's my first transaction with them. A lot of people talk about the exceptional customer service experience they get from Andrew at Musicteck, myself included but I got to say There's something about those Andrews in the audio industry in NJ because Andrew at Bloom was absolutely stellar and above and beyond any expectation I could have had. I wrote in with a couple of questions, evening west cost time expecting an answer in the morning and he answered with in minutes (wasn't expecting that). I had a follow question the following morning and again it was a pretty quick turn around. I placed the order last night and the Tracking was in my hand a couple of hours after arising this morning. Really great shopping experience.

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #2,456 of 2,944
Basically I prefer the sound quality IE900 over the Xelento Gen 1 without EQ.. (maybe even IE 600) .. as I have endless issues with the IE900 and IE600 I mainly use the Xelento with some EQ (with a balance 4.4mm cable) and some Spinfit 155 tips (with a tiny 0.5mm rubber ring to keep it tight on the Xelento nozzle)...
In real life the Xelento gen 1 is very comfortable and can be used for sleeping too with a rather good sound quality (though high frequencies are "missing" comparing to IE600)...
I really would like to see some frequency response comparison between Gen1 and gen2, as, if there is some improvement over 8kz, maybe I will jump to the gen 2 remote version (I prefer to use daily the BTR7 BT dongle in LDAC mode)...

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #2,457 of 2,944
I mainly use the Xelento with some EQ (with a balance 4.4mm cable) and some Spinfit 155 tips

I found that Xelento 1 really shine with their proprietary olive tips, the sound is really out of your head, really headphone like : with other tips Xelento sound more like « classic » iem.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #2,458 of 2,944
I found that Xelento 1 really shine with their proprietary olive tips, the sound is really out of your head, really headphone like : with other tips Xelento sound more like « classic » iem.

I agree, I really like the sound quality with those tips, but they don't stay very well in the ear canals. So I just ordered to beyerdynamic the gen 2 xelento tips with hoping they are better fxed in the ears even with the Gen1 drivers.

Oct 20, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #2,459 of 2,944
I agree, I really like the sound quality with those tips, but they don't stay very well in the ear canals. So I just ordered to beyerdynamic the gen 2 xelento tips with hoping they are better fxed in the ears even with the Gen1 drivers.

Agree, olive tips fit can be a bit weird but when they fit they really shine.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #2,460 of 2,944

Users who are viewing this thread

Back