Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R
Dec 28, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #46 of 107
Which 990 have you had the chance to listen to - the 250 ohm or 600 ohm version?
Sorry I completely missed this. I’ve heard both but the one I used for a/b’ing the Tygr was the 250 ohm pro version👍

Aug 22, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #48 of 107
Still got mine, use it for conference calls on a near daily basis.
I modded them to have dual entry 3.5mm. Yeah still like em!
I've been swapping pads a bit and settled on the grey beyerdynamic pads. They are just a bit more comfortable as compared to the black velour pads.
beyer-detach.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #49 of 107
I've been swapping pads a bit and settled on the grey beyerdynamic pads. They are just a bit more comfortable as compared to the black velour pads.
beyer-detach.jpg
Nice!! How did you mod them?

Aug 23, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #51 of 107
beyer-detach.jpg
Are the pads easy to change and how did it affect the sound for music?

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #52 of 107
Are the pads easy to change and how did it affect the sound for music?
The "cheaper" Beyerdynamic headphones all share the same way to change pads: they have a plastic lip that you need to pull over the housing. Bit like using a shoe spoon:)
You can help the plastic lip by heating it up a bit using a blow dryer, once you get the hang of it it is quite easy!
In my linked video he "pops the pad" at 2:40 and assembles them back at 18:18

About the changes in sound: If you get the grey pads for the DT880/DT990 there is no change to the sound. The DT770 pads are firmer and might change the sound (for the worse).

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #53 of 107
The "cheaper" Beyerdynamic headphones all share the same way to change pads: they have a plastic lip that you need to pull over the housing. Bit like using a shoe spoon:)
You can help the plastic lip by heating it up a bit using a blow dryer, once you get the hang of it it is quite easy!
In my linked video he "pops the pad" at 2:40 and assembles them back at 18:18

About the changes in sound: If you get the grey pads for the DT880/DT990 there is no change to the sound. The DT770 pads are firmer and might change the sound (for the worse).
The video was spead up so I missed putting the pads back on the first time I watched it.
Thanks.

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #54 of 107
I'm really liking these, apart from comfort. They get HOT! Seriously, if there is anyone living in Siberia or Canada, or somewhere on the mountains - you can save a lot of money during winter by buying these 😂 I'm not sure why nobody is commenting on the heat because it is pretty bad.

Other than that, I like them. They look fantastic. I loved the grill design on DT 880 and TYGR 300R is like the "Ultimate Power-Up" version of it, haha. Sound is good for both gaming and music, though I do prefer gaming on them while listening to music on earbuds... more isolation and more intimacy. But if you occassionally want open sound, these will work great. Soundstage and imaging are good, though I still feel like Sennheiser 560s were better at it... maybe I'm biased because of the 560s being my first open-back?
Highs and treble are controlled, nothing is overly peaky but the peak is there. When I played Tales of Arise demo with DT 880, I could not stand it - the peak made the menu effects pierce my ears. Though, the music was enjoyable on them. TYGR 300R tames that peak. Playing the same game still gave me that issue but there was like 50-70% less of it.
V-shaped, indeed but I don't know, I like it 🤷‍♂️ 560s sounded boring to me.

If you're looking for open-back gaming headphones which can also do music well (not perfect), these are a great choice. Built like a tank... and hot like the inside of a tank. 🤣

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #55 of 107
I just picked up a pair for Zoom calls and general passive music listening. I wanted something that was open so that I could actually hear myself speak and something that wouldn't get as hot as my DT770 and this ticked both boxes. They also sound fantastic for this price range. Would highly recommend these, especially if you want something that requires little to no additional power.

Nov 9, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #56 of 107
Been mostly a Sennheiser guy for a long time, but wanted to try something different. Mainly I bought these because the reviews about how well they image. So far, I guess I can see how someone would say these imagine well. But as far as I can tell so far, they are nowhere like a good stereo speaker set up. The other thing I noticed, and again it could just be me getting used to their sound, but they were pretty wooly sounding at first in the lower mids and mid bass, but after a few hours of run in they seem to have cleaned up. The lower mids can feel a little thick at times but the bass response is very welcome change from the hd600, 6xx and 58x. I feel like they need a good amount of break in before anyone should make a long term decision on these. Mind got way better after a day or two of limited listening, and have incrementally better over the last week of and hour or so a day of listening. Has anyone else noticed this?

Nov 9, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #57 of 107
Been mostly a Sennheiser guy for a long time, but wanted to try something different. Mainly I bought these because the reviews about how well they image. So far, I guess I can see how someone would say these imagine well. But as far as I can tell so far, they are nowhere like a good stereo speaker set up. The other thing I noticed, and again it could just be me getting used to their sound, but they were pretty wooly sounding at first in the lower mids and mid bass, but after a few hours of run in they seem to have cleaned up. The lower mids can feel a little thick at times but the bass response is very welcome change from the hd600, 6xx and 58x. I feel like they need a good amount of break in before anyone should make a long term decision on these. Mind got way better after a day or two of limited listening, and have incrementally better over the last week of and hour or so a day of listening. Has anyone else noticed this?
Yes, when I got my new headphones, I had to get used to them first before I can totally appreciate the new sound. However, as someone who already got Beyers like the Amirons and I also had the DT880, I was immediatley blown away by the Tygr! The earpads looks really comfy and gorgeous too and nothing is "gamery" at all and that's exactly the way how I like it because ff those ugly "gaming" craphones! The treble peaks are also really smooth too! I did notice it depends on which source you're using. My desk amp is a Fiio K5 Pro and I also use my Tygr with the PSVita sometimes and none of the source sounds the same.

I'm shocked how very light it is, no pressure at all and the comfort is simply outstanding.

Dec 10, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #58 of 107
Anyone that have both these and Sennheiser HD560S? Would love to read a comparison!

Dec 10, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #59 of 107
Anyone that have both these and Sennheiser HD560S? Would love to read a comparison!
Yes, I have the Tygr 300R and I love it. I had the HD560S and didn't like it one bit. Got rid of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back