Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R
Oct 10, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #31 of 107
With tygr I like the fenestrated dekoni pads.
The fenestrated elite sheepskin pads? That would be easy for me to test out - just got them to salvage my Vokyl Erupts.

Surprised you would suggest these since the stock Tygr sound with the velour pads is pretty good and my guess is the fenestrated pads will suck some bass out. But I will try it in a bit.

Oct 10, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #33 of 107
The only other pads I have that fit are the full leather pads and they add tons of bloated mid-bass. The fenestrated gave a lot better result (I use TH-900 pads btw and not DT pads).
I may have to get some of those! Are they thicker than the stock pads? That's really my motivation at the moment to try new pads

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #34 of 107
I may have to get some of those! Are they thicker than the stock pads? That's really my motivation at the moment to try new pads
Actually .. the backside is, but at the front it's less: they are tapered.
See:
Tried 2 pads I had lying around
- Dekoni hybrid for DT770/880/990 etc
- Dekoni fenestrated for TH900 (same size but a bit angled).

The hybrid pads added a lot of woolly muddy bass and made the overall sound very unpleasant. Comfort was OK though; the pads add a bit of width but also tons of bass, even though the inner side of the pads is fenestrated.
Talking about fenestrated. Using the TH900 pads was a perfect match! It really helps with the comfort while keeping the bass in control. It's still on the heavy side but it's so enjoyable! I'll keep these pads for a while and use them with the TYGR.
So reading back I actually have the hybrid pads as well (lol): open headphones tend to like air.
I think brainwavz pads should work as well; those tend to be a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #35 of 107
Actually .. the backside is, but at the front it's less: they are tapered.
See:

So reading back I actually have the hybrid pads as well (lol): open headphones tend to like air.
I think brainwavz pads should work as well; those tend to be a lot cheaper.
I have several different Brainwavz XL Hybrid pads... When I get home I will try a number of experiments! Thanks for all the pointers!!

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #36 of 107
I recently tried this headphone at a friends place. He also owns the DT990 which the Tyger is based upon.
Well all I can say is that I agree with the folks who find the Tyger warmer - it is - but most definitely NOT in the treble. The new Tyger is a tad more bassy as well as being a wee bit more laidback in the mids...but the treble? Wowza..it’s even more aggressive than the DT990! Ouch.
Folks who are treble sensitive yet still have been lead to believe that this indeed is a “fixed” DT990, look elsewhere:wink:
Also seems to make sense somehow. Most modern cans aimed at the gaming market do so with the promise of increased spatial awareness and other such tomfoolery...yet what that means is basically just a bump in the treble region somewhere around 4-6 k...and wouldn’t you know it? That’s the exact same thing Sennheiser has done with their HD560S.
Yes the new Tyger is warmer than the original DT990..sure thing..but it’s also way more piercing in the upper frequencies. I know many dig this sort of in-ya-face-treble..probably why so many adore the DT1990..and I’m not here to tell anyone that it’s ‘wrong’ or anything of the sort. I strongly believe in individual tastebuds and their right to pick what they choose...nah I’m merely here to warn the treble sensitive people:)
Which 990 have you had the chance to listen to - the 250 ohm or 600 ohm version?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #37 of 107
If you’re looking for a Beyer without the treble mountain, then better take a look at the new T1. It’s basically an even warmer Nighthawk for folks who found the original too bright...which is quite the u-turn for Beyerdynamic tuning-wise (and which Beyer fan is in the market for a warmer Nighthawk?). Basically the warmest headphone I’ve ever listened to.
Never heard the Nighthawk, but I did own the Nightowl... Too warm.

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #38 of 107
Very similar experience to what @arielext had...

I received the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin (for Beyerdynamic DT990) and, to my ears, they really open up these headphones from an FR perspective. With the stock velour pads the mids are quite warm, I suspect due to bass bleedIng into the mids. The Dekoni pads cut back on that - the bass is still right there where you would expect but no longer intruding on the mids. The treble doesn’t seem to me to be much affected either way, still clear and non-fatiguing.

also the Dekoni are thicker than the stock pads, so my ears are no longer touching the felt covering the drivers, so comfort has gone way up.

all in all a nice upgrade... but, since the pads are almost half the price of the Tygr 300 r, is it a worthwhile investment? That would be a personal decision for each. To me, yes.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #39 of 107
Any definitive conclusion on 300 R vs PC38X or 400i 2020 for FPS positional audio accuracy? (I heard 300 R > PC38X > 400i by someone who's heard them all) Going for the 300 R.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #41 of 107
Can anyone here speak to how these sound compared to the Philips Fidelio X2HR's as all-rounders (movies, TV, music, gaming)? How do their signature, stage, imaging, detail, resolution, clarity, etc. compare to those? Also, does anyone know if these lose bass for glasses-wearers or other people who have trouble getting a seal? In my experience and that of others, even a lot of open-back headphones do lose bass for glasses-wearers, and that limits my options. Also, do these have any MORE mid and lower bass than the X2HR? Because if so, I may not be into them.

For context, this is why I'm jumping in here and asking about this:

I want good open-back under-$200 headphones with a nice, spacious, decently-detailed, non-congested sound that are easy to drive (thus why I'm not considering something like the HD560s or 58x) and still have good bass-extension into the sub-bass (as far as open-back headphones go). The X2HR's are the answer to pretty much all of that (they even have nice rumble all the way down to 30Hz), with one big issue: I find their stock velour earpads incredibly itchy, and unfortunately aftermarket pads change the sound in ways that are simply not acceptable. I've heard that Beyerdynamic cans use higher-quality velour in the earpads which tends to not have this issue. Although for all I know, they might still prove itchy for me; the vast majority of people find the X2HR stock pads fine, and I'm one of the very unlucky few who gets itchy from them. Has anyone found the TYGR's pads to be itchy at all?

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #43 of 107
Wish i could buy them, the sites gone nuts and i cant proceed..
Screenshot_20201210-144139_Chrome.jpg

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #44 of 107
Dec 28, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #45 of 107
Very similar experience to what @arielext had...

I received the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin (for Beyerdynamic DT990) and, to my ears, they really open up these headphones from an FR perspective. With the stock velour pads the mids are quite warm, I suspect due to bass bleedIng into the mids. The Dekoni pads cut back on that - the bass is still right there where you would expect but no longer intruding on the mids. The treble doesn’t seem to me to be much affected either way, still clear and non-fatiguing.

also the Dekoni are thicker than the stock pads, so my ears are no longer touching the felt covering the drivers, so comfort has gone way up.

all in all a nice upgrade... but, since the pads are almost half the price of the Tygr 300 r, is it a worthwhile investment? That would be a personal decision for each. To me, yes.

Picked up the Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin pads after reading your impressions and I agree with your assessment. The mids were my one little gripe with these headphones, but these pads do clean them up without ruining the rest of the frequency response. Also agree on the comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back