Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Jun 19, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #3,451 of 3,971

Quote:
This headphone is not a FOTM. It is a well made headphone that we have been crying out for. That, and the HD-800 and the 
2 new Orthos, are finally bringing us back into having companies making audiophile grade headphones again, and not just
phones for the masses. This is a huge turning point in the last 10 years, since the HP2, R-10 and the Orpheus. It is a good time
to be involved in this hobby. It was getting pretty stagnant over the last 5 years.

I want to agree with Aaron's post.  These are great times, and a huge advancement for our hobby.

Quote:
ASGARD, the Fet based amp.  The Valhalla isn't yet available, but I will be interested in one when it is.  The Valhalla should be a good match for the T1.

Keep us posted.  The Valhala sounds interesting but it depends on how effective your Schiit Asgard is. 

USG

Jun 19, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #3,452 of 3,971
Spent great many hours listening to all genre of music today and I have no neck pain today with is good. I am more and more impressed everyday as to how vivid the presentation is and really have not found anything about the T1 I do not like. So balanced and neutral. Musical and tone is IMO perfect. Its been a fun day today.

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #3,453 of 3,971
A question to T1 owners who also have J$ Beyer pads - do they fit T1? Thanks in advance for an answer.

Jun 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #3,455 of 3,971
Well guys, I've just compared my stock T1 to the ALO recabled T1 at slim.a's place.

First, I must specify that a few months ago only I was not a cable believer at all, and wanted to try by myself to see if I could here any difference between digial or power cables, and so I could in the end, so don't tell me that it is pure placebo effect or voodoo, just what I heard without hoping the sound to be changed in any way before listening each time.

Setup was foobar with FLAC files on a laptop, Belkin USB extension lead, jkeny modified HiFace, Oyaide DB-510 BNC cable, Audio-gd DAC19DSP with Audio-gd C2 in ACSS mode with modded ACSS cables made by Black Stuart.
The same exact setup was kept when switching my stock T1 to the ALO recabled one, BUT there is an important need to mention that my pair is 400h+ of burn-in while his is only around 100 hours, as he received it recently, so as every T1 owner over here may know, changes may certainly show up on his pair within the next 300 hours which will change the final words.

At first, on a live recording of The Eagles, I almost prefered my stock T1 to the ALO recabled one. Soundstage seemed wider on the stock T1 with faster sound overall, like the stock pair was singing its sound more easily. I wasn't very impressed nor very pleased by the sound of the ALO version.

Hans Zimmer, Dark Knight OST, I'm not a hero. Not less nor much bass impact on the ALO version, but better defined, better control. Nice improvement over stock version.

Then, listening to Handel's Messiah - And He Shall Purify the Sons of Levi, with male and female voices and various instruments with low level details, I totally changed my mind.
Soundstage seemed a bit narrower again on the ALO version, my pair being more airy. BUT, this led to less low level details and less clarity and transparency. Things were more blended and diffuse with stock cable. At one moment when voices and instruments are "singing" all together, things stay in place with clarity on the recabled T1, with perfect instrument and voices separation, while they seems like a little mess on the stock T1.
Last but not least about this recording, TONE! The accuracy of the tone of the voices and instruments was astonishing! Most strikingly on both male and female voices, which never ever felt so real for me. Stock T1 sounded "digital" and artificial numerical sounding in comparison.
My pair showed treble peak annoyance until 300 hours, but recently at more than 400 hours things have settled a lot and I have almost no more treble peak at all, it had taken a lot of time but it is now OK for me about treble peak on my pair. The very little treble peak that could be heard on my pair is not heard at all on the ALO recabled T1 at only 100 hours of burn-in, and not conceding anything on the treble definition though. Don't expect more bass impact, warm sound, or less cohesion as some reported with ALO recabled cans. No changes in the bass, mid, treble quantity and impact. Only differences are more low level details on the recabled version, shrunken soundstage (must have to deal with not enough burn-in like on stock pairs), more transparency and clarity, and most of all, accuracy of tone.

Next recording on a female voice singing with not much instruments behind on a recording I couldn't remember the name, (please slim give your input if some want the title of the song), nice voice and listening btw, as it let the voice to be heard in the foreground like if it was a cappella, which helped to focus on the changes on the vocal tone between the two T1s.
Well, listening to the ALO recabled T1, the voice sounded so real and accurate that it was like hearing the woman singing in front of you. Going back to the stock T1, such a disappointment... the voice was totally "digitized", with more diffuse soundstage, as if you had enabled some kind of CMSS 3D from a Creative sound card, ya really!

I don't know if the sound is going to change a lot and to change for the best withing the next 300 hours on the ALO recabled version from slim.a but he'll keep me informed. As the soundstage grew bigger on my pair during burn-in along with other benefits, I can't imagine how the ALO recabled version could sound like at 400h+ of burn-in. Must be very, very nice.

Anyway, even if the sound wouldn't change from what it is now, even with the little shrunk soundstage it has now, which may widen like other T1s within burn-in hours, I would pull the trigger on the recabled version, which means I will recable my pair especially if the ALO version keeps going better through burn-in.

Now I understand other folks who compared directly stock T1 to recabled ones with Black Dragon etc. Recabled version is definitely better to me.

Jun 21, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #3,458 of 3,971

Quote:
Well guys, I've just compared my stock T1 to the ALO recabled T1 at slim.a's place.

First, I must specify that a few months ago only I was not a cable believer at all, and wanted to try by myself to see if I could here any difference between digial or power cables, and so I could in the end, so don't tell me that it is pure placebo effect or voodoo, just what I heard without hoping the sound to be changed in any way before listening each time.

Setup was foobar with FLAC files on a laptop, Belkin USB extension lead, jkeny modified HiFace, Oyaide DB-510 BNC cable, Audio-gd DAC19DSP with Audio-gd C2 in ACSS mode with modded ACSS cables made by Black Stuart.
The same exact setup was kept when switching my stock T1 to the ALO recabled one, BUT there is an important need to mention that my pair is 400h+ of burn-in while his is only around 100 hours, as he received it recently, so as every T1 owner over here may know, changes may certainly show up on his pair within the next 300 hours which will change the final words.

At first, on a live recording of The Eagles, I almost prefered my stock T1 to the ALO recabled one. Soundstage seemed wider on the stock T1 with faster sound overall, like the stock pair was singing its sound more easily. I wasn't very impressed nor very pleased by the sound of the ALO version.

Hans Zimmer, Dark Knight OST, I'm not a hero. Not less nor much bass impact on the ALO version, but better defined, better control. Nice improvement over stock version.

Then, listening to Handel's Messiah - And He Shall Purify the Sons of Levi, with male and female voices and various instruments with low level details, I totally changed my mind.
Soundstage seemed a bit narrower again on the ALO version, my pair being more airy. BUT, this led to less low level details and less clarity and transparency. Things were more blended and diffuse with stock cable. At one moment when voices and instruments are "singing" all together, things stay in place with clarity on the recabled T1, with perfect instrument and voices separation, while they seems like a little mess on the stock T1.
Last but not least about this recording, TONE! The accuracy of the tone of the voices and instruments was astonishing! Most strikingly on both male and female voices, which never ever felt so real for me. Stock T1 sounded "digital" and artificial numerical sounding in comparison.
My pair showed treble peak annoyance until 300 hours, but recently at more than 400 hours things have settled a lot and I have almost no more treble peak at all, it had taken a lot of time but it is now OK for me about treble peak on my pair. The very little treble peak that could be heard on my pair is not heard at all on the ALO recabled T1 at only 100 hours of burn-in, and not conceding anything on the treble definition though. Don't expect more bass impact, warm sound, or less cohesion as some reported with ALO recabled cans. No changes in the bass, mid, treble quantity and impact. Only differences are more low level details on the recabled version, shrunken soundstage (must have to deal with not enough burn-in like on stock pairs), more transparency and clarity, and most of all, accuracy of tone.

Next recording on a female voice singing with not much instruments behind on a recording I couldn't remember the name, (please slim give your input if some want the title of the song), nice voice and listening btw, as it let the voice to be heard in the foreground like if it was a cappella, which helped to focus on the changes on the vocal tone between the two T1s.
Well, listening to the ALO recabled T1, the voice sounded so real and accurate that it was like hearing the woman singing in front of you. Going back to the stock T1, such a disappointment... the voice was totally "digitized", with more diffuse soundstage, as if you had enabled some kind of CMSS 3D from a Creative sound card, ya really!

I don't know if the sound is going to change a lot and to change for the best withing the next 300 hours on the ALO recabled version from slim.a but he'll keep me informed. As the soundstage grew bigger on my pair during burn-in along with other benefits, I can't imagine how the ALO recabled version could sound like at 400h+ of burn-in. Must be very, very nice.

Anyway, even if the sound wouldn't change from what it is now, even with the little shrunk soundstage it has now, which may widen like other T1s within burn-in hours, I would pull the trigger on the recabled version, which means I will recable my pair especially if the ALO version keeps going better through burn-in.

Now I understand other folks who compared directly stock T1 to recabled ones with Black Dragon etc. Recabled version is definitely better to me.

Great write up Pacha! You didn't leave me much to add about the comparison :wink:

Concerning, the track of the female voice, it was Rebecca Pidgeon - Texas Rangers - Open Your Ears - 24/96.

Regarding the comparison between the stock version and the recabled version, I pretty much agree with all you said. And I would also say that the ALO recabled version had better clarity, more low level details, purer highs, and better tone than the stock one.
Though, as you mentioned, my ALO recabled T1 only had about 100 hours of burn-in and it is still changing/improving. Until yesterday, the high frequency extension was limited and it just started opening up and getting more "relaxed".
Anyway, even at this point, the sentence that keeps coming up to my mind is "an open and transparent window to the representation".

Funny thing, a non audiophile friend came by while Pacha and I were still doing the comparisons. Once he had a listen to the system, he started asking questions about how to build his own headphone set-up... Now, his only problem is to convince his wife to let him start this new "hobby".

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #3,460 of 3,971

Quote:

Funny thing, a non audiophile friend came by while Pacha and I were still doing the comparisons. Once he had a listen to the system, he started asking questions about how to build his own headphone set-up... Now, his only problem is to convince his wife to let him start this new "hobby".

Lol that's one of the way one could get into the audiophile freak hobby lol. Maybe he's going to become a mad audio gear fan himself in the future also after having started
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #3,461 of 3,971

Quote:
Still looking for good headphone amplifier that can drive T1 up to 300mW @600ohm

At home, I use an M^3 with STEPS and variable bass boost.  It's more than enough.  I tried using Ray Samuels' P51 Mustang with my HD800 and it felt a little thin.  Somebody suggested going with the Protector.

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #3,463 of 3,971

Quote:
At home, I use an M^3 with STEPS and variable bass boost.  It's more than enough.  I tried using Ray Samuels' P51 Mustang with my HD800 and it felt a little thin.  Somebody suggested going with the Protector.

You have to go pretty far up the food chain to do better than an M^3. 
beerchug.gif

Which opamps are you using?

USG

Jun 21, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #3,465 of 3,971
The T-1's, being an efficient 600Ω headphone, still need an amp with lots of meat and glory.
Portables aren't going to do them true justice. Listen to them with a WA5SE or a Luxman P-1,
and you can see what these puppies really have to offer. A Melos, or a Beta 22, or any amp worth it's salt, is going to give you an experience that you will never forget.
Sure, you'll get sound out of most amps, but to optimize that sound, you need raw unadulterated power.
Any car will do 0-60, but to do it right, you need horsepower. Anything else is just a poor excuse of electrons,
doing the T-1 serious injustices. If you've taken the time to purchase a T-1, then it would be a sin to feed
it into an underpowered amp. Do it right, or suffer the consequences. 
smile.gif
At my NYC Spring meet, Beyer was there, and was playing their T-1's through an anemic amp. It was the 
best that Beyer sent poor Peter to use. As soon as we crossed over to the Woo table, and hooked it up to a
WAS-SE, even Peter (the salesman) smiled.

Power to the masses! Power to the people. Power to the headphones. Right on, right on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back