Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Jan 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #1,157 of 3,971
I don't know about other headphone-makers but Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser are both engineer-ruled, fairly big companies. They don't work after the trial & error-principle like many small high-end-brands.

They not only have the equipment to actually measure every aspect of a headphone (not the psychological impact, though) but they also have highly-trained engineers, they're scientists who want to understand and explain their technology.
Both, T1 and HD800 are rather in the professional (mics...) spectrum than in the consumer-market (headsets...) - professional equipment also has to rely on high-quality cable (sturdy connectors, flexible, robust...) but it doesn't affect sound, period. Ask any electric engineer you like.
They can measure every tiny aspect of their headphones far beyond the capability of any human ear - it's tricky to interpret the measurements in a psychological way (how does it affect the listening experience, what are the priorities) which is called psychoacoustics (I hope it's called that way in English). But they don't even reach that point (besides resistance) when switching from their standard-cable to silver, gold, cryo... whatever.

But billions still believe in creation, either - I'm not sure if reason, arguments or anything else is capable of fighting superstitious belief.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #1,158 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My personal opinion is that a $1K+ headphone ought to come with a good enough cable. I have no reason to believe the T1's isn't good enough.

Nor do I. The T1 cable of choice is better than what you normally get with most headphones but some know better and already announced it as crap without listening. I tried similar patch cables for recabling several headphones and it was always a change for better, no matter it was Sennheiser or Creative Aurvana Live.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #1,159 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
High performance cars do. The T1 is the equivalent of a high performance car.

Many high performance cars come with great tires that are suitable for street use. They can often be replaced with higher performance, "cost no object" tires for a racetrack.

I'm sure the T1s ship with a "good enough" cable. A lot of people around here aren't satisfied with "good enough."

If the cable does not affect the sound, why do the Sennheiser HD 800s ship with a silver-plated copper cable when they could save money by using all copper?

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #1,160 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6moons audio reviews: Sennheiser HD800

Just another data point.

Quote:

The PS-1000s don't justify their very high price by running a cheesy plastic cord cover that feels and looks like a throwaway power cord; freely rotating ear pieces which can easily twist the Y tails; cosmetically cheap and quite ugly black foam covers; an insufficiently padded bridge; and very heavy ear pieces which create somewhat lop-sided overall weighting.

(((Giggles)))

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #1,161 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except that high performance racing tires actually make a difference, whereas cables do not. If you guys think cables make so much difference in a headphone, why don't you ever complain about the internal wiring of an amp or DAC, the traces on the PCBs,

I'm sorry that you haven't heard the difference between cables; some of us have.

I have seen discussions of upgraded internal wiring in the amplifier forum. However, you will likely not find 10 feet of wire between components in an amplifier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or the wiring of your home/having a dedicated audio line not being made of this special cable?

I don't care about the wiring of my home before the power gets to my voltage regulator.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #1,162 of 3,971
"If the cable does not affect the sound, why do the Sennheiser HD 800s ship with a silver-plated copper cable when they could save money by using all copper?"

From what I've seen the HD800-cable-system is very well thought out, much better than the cheap and fragile system of my HD580 which failed twice in ten years and now fells apart entirely (connectors loosened)... The ODU-connectors and the Neutrik-plug alone propably cost more than most brands are willing to pay their Chinese OEM for an entire midclass-headphone...

Cables DO matter: they have to be robust, flexible, resistant against structure-borne sound and using silver solder (maybe to English translation on their website is missleading) to connect the copper cable with the gold-plated (corrosion-resistance) connectors is a professional and long-lasting solution. But it has absolutely nothing to do with sound! That's simply not the way cables work, even a cheap aluminum-wire couldn't possible add are cut any information from the signal - it would be prone to electric radiation, the resistance would be high, it would get warm or even burn when too much electric power goes through it - but it doesn't make the sound richer, warmer, colder, more/less natural... !

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #1,164 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many high performance cars come with great tires that are suitable for street use. They can often be replaced with higher performance, "cost no object" tires for a racetrack.

I'm sure the T1s ship with a "good enough" cable. A lot of people around here aren't satisfied with "good enough."

If the cable does not affect the sound, why do the Sennheiser HD 800s ship with a silver-plated copper cable when they could save money by using all copper?

The problem with the analogy is that there are measurable differences with tires versus not measurable / not significant measurable differences (<.01 dB IIRC) for cables. Any good headphone should sound good out of the box, without needing to rely on the questionable value of high-end cables.

And WRT the HD800, I'm sure the cable was to please the audiophile crowd who already loved to use silver cables, and the cost was probably very little considering the number of HD800's produced.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #1,165 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why so little reviews or impressions so far?i think i have read about 3 so far.

Very few people have them at this time.

This thread has gone into cable combat mode, for which there will be no winners. Take it outside please.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #1,166 of 3,971
I agree - we need to get off the cable discussion - it isn't really even useful until there are more impressions of the STOCK T1.

I am looking forward to more impressions from others. I know how I feel about them. But it's still fun to hear what others think.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #1,167 of 3,971
Macedonianhero...
After getting acquainted with your T1 on the weekend we hope that you start a new thread with your impressions!!

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #1,168 of 3,971
I just want to know how good they are, and if they are worth it. If someone could compare them stock to the stock AKG k701 and the stock HD650 on a WA6, that would be great.
wink.gif

Too many variables adds too many variables.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #1,169 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So you noticed that they plated the cable and thus assume it makes a difference?

How curious...
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #1,170 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyramid6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to know how good they are, and if they are worth it. If someone could compare them stock to the stock AKG k701 and the stock HD650 on a WA6, that would be great.
wink.gif

Too many variables adds too many variables.

Having owned the HD650s/K701s, I can post on my listening experiences on the weekend with my T1s (they should arrive tomorrow) with my MAD Ear+HD tube amp.

Hopefully by Sunday, but as I mentioned earlier, it depends on the kids and how easily we can get our 21 month old son to sleep in the evening. But nonetheless, I will try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back