Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Jan 11, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #1,276 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So from Gu Sensei's great write up:
soundstage, clarity/ detail while very good, are not quite to the level of the HD800.
Bass Quantity: greater than the HD650...less than HD800
T1 more alive sounding, lush, than the HD800
Very smooth sound signature.
Great all rounders... where HD800 might be more genre specific.

I am certain bass quantity would be LESS than HD650 and MORE than HD800.

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #1,277 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's how I read it too. Although HD800 has better bass quality with deeper exension, HD650 presents more bass quantity overall.

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #1,278 of 3,971
IMHO:

Bass QUANTITY: HD650 > T1 > HD800

Bass QUALITY: HD800 > T1 > HD650

But the T1's bass quality is very close to the HD800, IMO.

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #1,279 of 3,971
I stand corrected...thanks, guys.
It'll take forever to audition these things in my part of the woods. I'll have to travel to a larger center.

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #1,280 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But the T1 really sounded like it had more dynamics to the bass, you could really feel it. But I guess that's more under quality than quantity overall.

-Ed

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #1,281 of 3,971
RIGHT - that is bass quality, IMO.

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #1,282 of 3,971
Gu Sensei - Thanks for the review. It's getting harder and harder to resist...

I have a question if you don't mind. What's your opinion on the mids of the D7000 versus the T1? I've found the mids of the D7000 are somewhat recessed and lack clarity compared to the HD800, which of course is a midrange king.

I think Skylab already answered this question when he stated that the mids of the T1 are similar to the HD800. I guess that probably means I just have to buy and figure out the answer for myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #1,283 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was quite surprised to see a pair of T1s on display at a big audio store in Osaka a few days ago. So surprised, in fact, that I rubbed my eyes and did a ‘double take.’ At which point they were gone. I was then truly shocked to look down and notice my wallet empty and a strange weighty shopping bag clutched greedily in my hands. So much for that new SACD player I was shopping for...

So, I have had the T1s for a few days with about 15 hours of head time and a total of 50 hours burn-in. My rig is in my sig and I am using them with my Leben mostly.

To my ears, on this rig, in this early stage, etc. etc. etc. …

They have very nice build quality, everything seems quite sturdy and built to last. They look nice and are not flashy in any way- very industrial looking. The case is excellent, better than any others I have seen. I would not object to a handle though. They clamp a bit more than I would like. Not excessive or a deal-breaker, but it could be a bit less. Not as much as the HD650s though.

From a technical performance standpoint, I would put the T1s on the same level as the HD800s and PS1000s. These sound very refined and high-end. To me their most noticeable strengths are their imaging, balanced and natural sounding frequency response, and buttery-smooth presentation coupled with a touch of lushness. They have excellent soundstaging, clarity, and detail retrieval; however, I think the HD800s and PS1000s both exceed the T1s in these areas. The bass seems just slightly bumped up but it does not at all sound out of place to me and actually, I would prefer a bit more emphasis (but I usually do). Quantity wise it sits between that of the HD800s and HD650s. Definitely less than the D7000s. The bass is of very good quality, goes deep, hits hard, does not seem damped or too little, but there is nothing unique, new, or ‘special’ about it to me. I would not put these on a list of bass-enthusiast cans, but they likely will be agreeable to most in terms of this issue. The highs seem fairly extended and not at all aggressive. Sibilance is present when it is there on the recording but does not seem highlighted or exaggerated. No harshness whatsoever.

I would put them in the ‘musical’ camp as opposed to the analytical, although I think they strike a reasonable balance. They have a nice lush rich sound and are engaging and very easy to listen to without fatigue. I can hear a resemblance to the HP1000s, and while the T1s are not a rebirth, I can see those who are fans of the HP1000s finding a lot to like in these. I am one who finds the HD800s to be a little ‘dead’ but the T1s do not share that same characteristic. I think they will be appealing those who like the HD650s but could not quite connect with the new Senns. They also seem incredibly forgiving with bad recordings, similar to the JH13Pros in that respect.

These seem to do well with every genre I have tried but I am not sure that I could pick one as their forte, perhaps rock if pressed. I have had some very good moments with the Beatles, Yellow Submarine; Beck, the Information; Michael Jackson, Off the Wall; Frank Zappa, Joe’s Garage; Macy Gray, The Trouble with Being Myself, & Talking Heads, Remain in Light. I do not listen to classical or jazz too often but cycled through a few favorite tracks and found them all sounding quite nice. Basically, they seem very much like solid all-rounders.

My complaints? I wish the bass were a bit more prominent but that is really a preference and I usually like more than most. The clamping pressure is a bit strong for me at the moment. I actually find them a bit too smooth and non-fatiguing. I prefer a slightly aggressive sound- I generally like Grados, and the D7000s just hit a perfect balance between aggressive and smooth for my tastes. I find the HD650s and to some degree the HD800s as too smooth. I know a lot of people really love that kind of easy sound signature and these could be fantasy-phones for those. Also, I feel that I need to keep them at a little higher volume than I would like in order to get the best sound from them. I usually use open headphones when I need to hear things like phones, door knocks, and crying kids. These are not so practical in that sense as I have to play them at a moderate volume.

I do find the T1s general sound signature more agreeable than that of the HD800s, but right now, I am completely beguiled by the soundstage and imaging of the HD800s. The HD800s offer a significant step up in this area and I would probably choose the HD800s if I could only have one. The PS1000s are slightly more aggressive (which is to my liking) and great at lower volumes and again would be my choice of the two. However, I really have to pick and choose music to match well with HD800s and PS1000s while the T1s are much more versatile. While the D7000s do not offer the same level of refinement as the T1s, I do not think they are that far behind and I prefer the overall signature of the Denons more than the T1s. I enjoy a more prominent bass and adore that part of the D7000s. I love their ambiance and have yet to hear a single track that I did not completely enjoy through them. At the moment, my dream phones have the D7000s sound coupled with the imaging, detail, and soundstage of the HD800s.

In sum, the T1s are fantastic and truly high end headphones. Like the other biggies, they offer superb technical prowess coupled with a unique but subtle flavoring. That flavoring may or not be to your liking but most likely will need to be heard first-hand to be truly understood. For me personally, there is a lot that I find agreeable, but in the end, I have a feeling they may just not be my cup of tea.

Hope this helps!
beerchug.gif

Do you have any update on your thoughts now that you are selling/trading them? If not completely to your liking, what would you like to see improved with them? Thanks!

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #1,284 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting...
That nice long summary seems to suggest that the T1 are more musical and somewhat less analytical than the Hd800.
I wonder if that is what the dude thinks is irrational. Or perhaps he is just defending his HD800 against any new competition.

I find that interesting, too. To complete the picture, I can assure you that he wrote, he had neither a HD800 nor a T1 and made a 40 CD long hearing session with both cans and the clear winner was the HD800...

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #1,285 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmore
I think the 'irrational' comment is a result of the language barrier at hand here. My guess would be that he meant to say emotional, as in the opposite of rational/unemotional. Just my guess.

Good guess, maybe he really meant that.

I think the personal feeling about music can't be really expressed using words. He wrote "irrational" what is a word that I would never use describing any kind of music. He maybe just wanted to intend that the music listened to with a T1 didn't please him.

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #1,286 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you have any update on your thoughts now that you are selling/trading them? If not completely to your liking, what would you like to see improved with them? Thanks!

Ditto

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #1,287 of 3,971
So after a long afternoon of checking the Canada Post website for an update (they were noted as "Out for Delivery" since 7am this morning, but without a delivery attempt), I left work a little early only to confirm, no delivery.

So I had to go to the bank down the street and coincidentally right next to the post office and there was the Canada Post van. So I thought I'd ask the carrier if he had a shipment for me. He said he was done for the day, but would look in the back. Low and behold, he had a box for me. It was the T1s!
happy_face1.gif

Only 4 days later than their guaranteed delivery date and if not for this coincidental run-in, it would have been 5 days later...if not longer.

So long story short, I'm currently at home with them. My initial thoughts are:

1.) They are about as comfortable as my pair of DT880s (2005 ed...now sold), which is a good thing as I thought they were the most comfortable cans I've ever owned. The clamping force is slightly higher though, but it doesn't really bother me. Overall very comfortable!
2.) Construction: very solid. In form they remind my of the DT880s from a distance, but when you get in close, you can tell that these are very special cans indeed. They feel incredibly solid with an incredible stock cable (including a Neutrik jack). Now, I do think that cables make a difference, but it would be hard to beat this one. I can barely tell the difference between my Kimber Hero RCA cables and other ultra high end ones. But, to my ears, there is a big difference between my cables and say what you get at the local Best Buy.
3.) The aluminum storage case is incredible. I was really impressed with the HD800 and D7000 storage boxes, but to me, they are nothing like this.

Now how they sound...

Please note that I've only had them on my head for a very limited time.

They sound incredible! Deep, deep bass extension (although I think I still prefer the more impactful D7000 presentation of bass). From listening to the HD800s this past weekend, I found their bass a little lacking, but not lacking on the T1s. From what I remember, the quantity is quite a bit better than the HD800s and quality wise...I would say identical...too close for my ears to tell the difference as they both reach way deep down and are very well controlled.

The mids don't seem as recessed as the D7000s, they are nice and forward and with a tinge of a silky lush sound. Which I love, as I found the DT880s a little thin in this department and ultimately the reason I sold them.

The highs are really nice and not rolled off in any way (hello SE530s), nor are they peaky like the Grado presentation. Overall very nice.

I agree with many other people's impressions that they are very musical sounding and not as analytical as I found the HD800s and K701s. So for me that is a good thing. But the sound stage of the HD800s and micro detail retrieval seems to be the tops on the Senns (though not by much from what I can hear when comparing the T1s).

Compared to the Denon AH-D7000s, the T1s are far more neutral with deeper bass (though the Denon's are more impactful like my home theater setup). The mids are clearer on the T1s and more forward. The highs are both spectacular. When you get to this level ($1000+), from what I've heard, it's not which can is better, but which can is better for me.

So far on my 3 listening sessions with the HD800s, I thought I might find them too clinical to find sufficient head time, but the T1s are sounding more my style. Who knows, I still might add the HD800s to my collection down the road as I was still very impressed, but later in the year...

I will have to listen to these puppies a little longer to burn them/me in, but so far with my Cambridge DacMagic --> MAD Ear+HD Tube amp, I think that they will be with me for a long, long time!

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #1,289 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting your very helpful impressions! How would you compare the comfort of the T1 to the HD800?

Actually I found all three (HD800s, T1s and AH-D7000s) about the three most comfortable can's I've ever put on my head, but the best still goes to the DT880s.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #1,290 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I found all three (HD800s, T1s and AH-D7000s) about the three most comfortable can's I've ever put on my head, but the best still goes to the DT880s.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Thanks for your impressions, Mac. It looks like there'll be a T1 in KS soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back